White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Does anyone really care about Chicago baseball right now?

The crosstown series gets about 30k a game, even at Wrigley and even on Memorial Day.

This afternoon, a lovely one, at Wrigley? Announced at 24,645, per a friend at the game.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM
WSI High Priest

24,000+, has to be the smallest crowd for a late May game in a couple decades.
This isn't just going on at Wrigley, the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies have stopped selling out their parks. I think the only team selling out every game right now are the Giants.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
24,000+, has to be the smallest crowd for a late May game in a couple decades.
This isn't just going on at Wrigley, the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies have stopped selling out their parks. I think the only team selling out every game right now are the Giants.
11 teams are up vs 2012, 19 down:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...tendance.shtml

Oddly enough, the Sox are averaging 1,000 more per game than last season. I attribute most of that to price changes.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
11 teams are up vs 2012, 19 down:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...tendance.shtml

Oddly enough, the Sox are averaging 1,000 more per game than last season. I attribute most of that to price changes.
No. It is the anticipation of years from now, you can tell your kids and grandkids that you were at the game when Adam Dunn did not strike out three times. Swinging at Ball Four.

All hail The Rick
Old 05-31-2013, 05:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
No. It is the anticipation of years from now, you can tell your kids and grandkids that you were at the game when Adam Dunn did not strike out three times. Swinging at Ball Four.
He swung at a book? Perhaps he needs his eyes checked.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Back to the topic, I will have to say, "No."

In fact, I'm thinking I should have my head examined for paying for MLB Extra Innings, and I'm tempted to cancel it for the rest of the year. It's not that I can't afford the $30+ a month; it's just that it's flat-out not worth it, the way these clowns are playing. It's like paying extra for high blood pressure!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:20 PM
WSI Guru

Nope.

Lip
Old 05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'll always care about it, but the level of interest this year is the lowest I've had in a long time. I'm usually checking for scores on my i-phone, or on the scroll at the bottom of the screen if I'm unable to watch the Sox game. This year I think I can count on one hand how often I've done that. Even as I sit here tonight watching them play in Oakland, I'm only sorta half watching.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Since the Sox won the series, Chicago teams have won one post season game. Yes, we absolutely hate losing to the Cubs but the novelty of the Sox-Cubs games has worn off. Both teams are going nowhere - again. That says it all.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM
WSI Personality

The Crosstown rivalry still has a lustre somewhat internationally, 2 out of 4 games were on ESPNAmerica, 1 on bbc radio live. I put it down to European cities obsessiveness of local "Derbies."

A lot of people do that stupid thing of wearing random baseball caps that they sell in JD Sports but I still see plenty more Sox Caps than Cubs Caps.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I was starting to when the Sox climbed back to .500 and seemed to be putting things together, but then they fell off a cliff again, so IDK. I keep them on but it's not a priority. I'm not even going to any games this weekend while they are here, though some of that is due to schedule issues and other things going on.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nope.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishChiSox View Post
The Crosstown rivalry still has a lustre somewhat internationally, 2 out of 4 games were on ESPNAmerica, 1 on bbc radio live. I put it down to European cities obsessiveness of local "Derbies."

A lot of people do that stupid thing of wearing random baseball caps that they sell in JD Sports but I still see plenty more Sox Caps than Cubs Caps.
Great to hear that you see more Sox caps than Cubs caps. Perhaps I should go ask my husband to consider our relocation to Portsmouth, UK.

I still care very much about White Sox baseball (and will always detest anything and everything associated with the Cubs).
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 AM
WSI High Priest

This was the first year since 1996 that both the Bulls and Blackhawks advanced past the first round. With the NHL lockout, the playoffs will end later than normal. The Bulls won a game seven on the road shorthanded, and the Blackhawks have a very good team that just came back from being down 3-1 to the Red Wings. Why this is a shock to anyone, I have no clue. It also doesn't help they introduced the Cross Town Cup for the Cubs-Sox series, making the games even a bigger embarrassment.

I want the White Sox to win, but in my > 30 days, I don't get emotionally involved in sports like I used to. I watch sports for entertainment purposes. The Sox are hardly fun to watch. It's one thing to lose when you are out pitched or out hit. But, when you play like clowns, it's not exactly good TV. My life goes on as is whether they win or lose.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:49 PM
WSI Regular

Nope, not really. I love baseball but there's almost nothing entertaining about watching the White Sox play right now. The only 2 players worth tuning in for are Chris Sale and Jake Peavy. For me personally, as long as they keep insulting us by batting Adam Dunn cleanup for some reason, I don't really have much interesting in tuning in...