White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I really wish this kid would get called up so I could watch him play. Sounds like one of the most exciting players we've had in a long time.

I realize he could be another Jerry Owens, Danny Richar, or host of others but man could he really play any worse than De Aza? Give us some excitement White Sox.
Where's John Cangelosi when you need em!

Lip
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Where's John Cangelosi when you need em!

Lip

Too young to know who that is but from a quick scan looks like he was a pleasant surprise for the Sox...at least in Spring Training. Maybe Micah will pan out in the bigs. Gotta hope so anyway.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Will he get moved up soon, at least to Winston-Salem?
That's a question that's been floating around for a couple of weeks, but with no definite timeframe. The organization is really pulling for DeMichele in W/S, as he was a higher draft choice. But he really scuffled with the bat in April and has been barely passable in May.

It's an interesting choice for the development staff at this point. You have two guys approximately the same age playing at different levels. One is a third rounder, plays good defense but has struggled at the plate. The other is a ninth rounder, has hit the ball well, but struggles in the field.

Personally I would not consider a promotion at this time. DeMichele is starting to swing the bat better and Johnson's numbers are probably a bit inflated playing in low A. I don't see how you could play these kids together either. Neither is really suited to play another position in the infield and neither is an outfielder by trade.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-30-2013, 01:12 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
That's a question that's been floating around for a couple of weeks, but with no definite timeframe. The organization is really pulling for DeMichele in W/S, as he was a higher draft choice. But he really scuffled with the bat in April and has been barely passable in May.

It's an interesting choice for the development staff at this point. You have two guys approximately the same age playing at different levels. One is a third rounder, plays good defense but has struggled at the plate. The other is a ninth rounder, has hit the ball well, but struggles in the field.

Personally I would not consider a promotion at this time. DeMichele is starting to swing the bat better and Johnson's numbers are probably a bit inflated playing in low A. I don't see how you could play these kids together either. Neither is really suited to play another position in the infield and neither is an outfielder by trade.
I believe Micah Johnson played some outfield at Indiana. In fact, there was speculation that he'd have to go to cf because his hands are not good.

That said, I am not on the Micah Johnson bandwagon yet. Seems his tools lag behind his production. Guys like that generally fall offby Double A.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I believe Micah Johnson played some outfield at Indiana.
I never saw him play in the outfield, I only remember him at second and on occasion third.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Too young to know who that is but from a quick scan looks like he was a pleasant surprise for the Sox...at least in Spring Training. Maybe Micah will pan out in the bigs. Gotta hope so anyway.
Shingo:

Cangelosi holds the Sox record for most stolen bases by a rookie, I think it's 45.

Lip
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I never saw him play in the outfield, I only remember him at second and on occasion third.
My mistake. Played outfield in high school. Anyway, before last year's draft, people were saying he'd have to go to cf. Nothing he has done so far indicates that he will stay in the infield. Obviously, a lot less value if he has to move.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Erik Johnson threw a CG last night, allowing 3 runs on 10 hits with 6K/0BB.

He's done nothing but impress in the minors so far. ETA could be the beginning of next year at this rate, with a promotion to AAA likely by the end of the year.

Trayce Thompson quietly hitting .273/.415/.394 over his last 10 games. His K rate has slowly declined over the last couple of years, and that trend is continuing this year with a major uptick in walks. He's only 22 and in his first year of AA.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
Erik Johnson threw a CG last night, allowing 3 runs on 10 hits with 6K/0BB.
Yep. Erik Johnson has been fantastic. Easily the bright spot of the farm this year. Looks like a solid middle of the rotation type to me. Maybe has the potential to be a bit more. My inkling is he will be in the rotation next year replacing some pitching depth that will inevitably be dealt.

Yesterday: 9 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 6 K

For the year – 67.2 IP, 49 H, 17 ER, 15 BB, 64 K, 4 HRA, 2.26 ERA, .946 WHIP
Old 06-02-2013, 03:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Courtney Hawkins is back from his shoulder injury.

Through 6 innings, he is 1/4 with an RBI double...and 3Ks.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:27 PM
WSI Guru

So nothing's changed then...

Lip
Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
So nothing's changed then...

Lip
It really isn't surprising that a toolsy high school slugger with pitch recognition trouble is struggling as a 19 year old in an aggressive High-A assignment.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI Guru

Dirty:

That true and rather emblamatic of the entire system. Kids with no idea what they are trying to do, overmatched and apparently no one on the coaching staff is able to help them figure it out.

When (I no longer think if) the Sox blow it up and start over it's imperative that they spend whatever it takes to beg, borrow or steal the best scouts and instructors from other organizations. Pay them whatever it takes to get them. No more half assing things.

Lip
Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Dirty:

That true and rather emblamatic of the entire system. Kids with no idea what they are trying to do, overmatched and apparently no one on the coaching staff is able to help them figure it out.

When (I no longer think if) the Sox blow it up and start over it's imperative that they spend whatever it takes to beg, borrow or steal the best scouts and instructors from other organizations. Pay them whatever it takes to get them. No more half assing things.

Lip
Agreed fully. Though I'm willing to be a bit more patient with Hawkins. I personally would have rather seen him in Kanny.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nice little article on Trayce Thompson:

No. 2 White Sox prospect steadily improving with Birmingham