White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Erik Johnson spins another dominant outing, ERA drops to 2.15 and K rate keeps steady at 9 per.

Birmingham 3 / Jacksonville 0

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Erik Johnson spins another dominant outing, ERA drops to 2.15 and K rate keeps steady at 9 per.

Birmingham 3 / Jacksonville 0
Not that the Sox need pitching right now, but when do you see Johnson being ready for the majors? And what kind of pitcher do you think he will be? Thanks for any insight you can share.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Not that the Sox need pitching right now, but when do you see Johnson being ready for the majors? And what kind of pitcher do you think he will be? Thanks for any insight you can share.
Honestly, no earlier than the middle of next year. I think we're very fortunate to have some pitching depth on the major league level so Johnson can get some more innings pitched in the minors. To date he only has about 150 innings pitched for his entire career.

I haven't read a recent scouting report on Erik, but he usually throws a fastball and a slider and tries to mix in a change-up. He's trying to develop a change-up and I'm not sure where that currently stands. His fastball sits in the low 90's and has a little movement on it. The slider is his money pitch, nice and tight.

He's not a future ace by my estimation, but has the ability to be a middle of the rotation innings eater. Right now, he just needs to stay healthy and get some experience.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:30 PM
WSI Guru

I'll ask about the future of another Johnson: Micah. 44 SBs already? Is he overage at 23 in A-ball?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I'll ask about the future of another Johnson: Micah. 44 SBs already? Is he overage at 23 in A-ball?
Yes, definitely playing low for his age. Micah's defense is also pretty bad, I'm not convinced that he's much of a prospect.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Personality

I watched Johnson's start on MiLB TV. He's solid 91-93 with excellent movement on the fastball away from right-hand hitters. His slider is a plus plus pitch with good downward movement. He also showed a decent curve, straight change, and because he pitches for the Sox, a cutter. He pounded the lower portion of the strike zone, rarely falling behind guys. Only a few balls were hit anything close to hard off him and Jacksonville is good. Yelich, Marisnick, and Cox are probably better than the guys playing their positions for the Marlins right now. I think if he had to make an emergency start right now, Johnson would hold his own because he's not afraid to pitch to contact. Seems like a number three or possible better because his command is improving. Also, gets it and throws it. Has a good competitive streak.

The only hitter that Birmingham has who looks like a future major leaguer is Thompson. He hit a couple of very hard outs and generally looks like he belongs. His swing is shorter than it was, but needs to tighten up a bit. Dan Black can hit, but he is the slowest player I have ever seen.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I watched Johnson's start on MiLB TV. He's solid 91-93 with excellent movement on the fastball away from right-hand hitters. His slider is a plus plus pitch with good downward movement. He also showed a decent curve, straight change, and because he pitches for the Sox, a cutter. He pounded the lower portion of the strike zone, rarely falling behind guys. Only a few balls were hit anything close to hard off him and Jacksonville is good. Yelich, Marisnick, and Cox are probably better than the guys playing their positions for the Marlins right now. I think if he had to make an emergency start right now, Johnson would hold his own because he's not afraid to pitch to contact. Seems like a number three or possible better because his command is improving. Also, gets it and throws it. Has a good competitive streak.
Thanks for that update, very good info.

I wish Johnson would get away from that curve, I don't think that will ever be a major league pitch for him. Just concentrate on the fastball/slider/change-up. If he gets that cutter working, he'll be good.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Lip,

Do you have some inside info regarding this? I was pretty pleased last year with the way the draft went, seemed as though kids were being drafted on their talent level, not based on their agent or asking price.
Rdivaldi:

I have been told a few things but can't say they are completely accurate until we see what happens.

The new rules take out some of the issues regarding what a drafted player can demand but let's just say that JR and Boras aren't going to be exchanging Christmas cards. I'd be surprised if the Sox drafted a Boras client or someone he is being known to 'advise' high unless there are some extenuating circumstances.

Despite what you might hear from time to time the two men do not get along, Kenny doesn't get along with him and they are still calling the shots regarding the draft.

For what it's worth I've also heard the heat is starting to get turned up on Doug Laumann although that isn't fair because he takes orders just like other people. One of the issues supposedly is that he seems to be drafting only kids he has personally seen and has been taking a number of kids from the Northeast where the weather makes accurate scouting debatable. (Sometimes you can't see a guy as much as you'd like because they can't play as much...)

I have no idea if that's true or partially true or just BS, I don't claim to know the minor league sysytem...just passing it along.

Lip
Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The new rules take out some of the issues regarding what a drafted player can demand but let's just say that JR and Boras aren't going to be exchanging Christmas cards. I'd be surprised if the Sox drafted a Boras client or someone he is being known to 'advise' high unless there are some extenuating circumstances.

Despite what you might hear from time to time the two men do not get along, Kenny doesn't get along with him and they are still calling the shots regarding the draft.
Yeah, I think that's a given. I imagine that the two parties will continue to have an icy relationship until the day that JR passes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
For what it's worth I've also heard the heat is starting to get turned up on Doug Laumann although that isn't fair because he takes orders just like other people. One of the issues supposedly is that he seems to be drafting only kids he has personally seen and has been taking a number of kids from the Northeast where the weather makes accurate scouting debatable. (Sometimes you can't see a guy as much as you'd like because they can't play as much...)
I've definitely heard grumblings about too many Midwest and Northeast kids taken over the past couple of years. However, they did make an about face last year as they did not draft a kid from either of those two regions until the 6th round. We'll see how this year's draft goes, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the rule changes will continue to level the playing field.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Missed this...

... Charlie Leesman is back with the Sox AAA Knights.

According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Leesman was designated for assignment by the White Sox in April 2013,[2] and claimed off waivers by the Rangers. The Rangers outrighted Leesman to the minor leagues, but he declined the assignment, becoming a free agent.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 05-27-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM
WSI Personality

Phegley a triple and a homer tonight. HR was a bomb halfway up the light tower in Charlotte. Also walked, reached on an error, threw a man out at second and made a nice tag at home.

He must really not be able to call a game. Consider: Flowers out with back spasms, the 25th man on the roster is Casper "designated for assignment" Wells and Phegley doesn't even get called to Chicago to stand by just in case. Also, John Danks had two starts in Charlotte. Anderson caught them both.

Speaking of Danks, JorDanks looking pretty good at the plate. Not so weak-swinging as he was a couple years ago. Actually going after the ball with some authority.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
He must really not be able to call a game.
Are you being facetious, or is this part of the rap on Phegley?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Are you being facetious, or is this part of the rap on Phegley?
The rap has always been catching the ball. He does have 4 passed balls this year. But Flowers and Gimenez have more than that. Defensively he is supposed to be challenged although you really hear conflicting stuff on that. He has a strong arm and won a AAA Gold Glove last year. I gathered he doesn't call a good game/pitchers don't like to throw to him based on what the major league staff has said in defense of Flowers.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 PM
WSI Personality

Oh, after his homer tonight, the Charlotte announcers were saying he has done everything possible to earn a call up. So they seem to think his defense is fine.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Prelate

I guess I could see an argument being made that Flowers has worked with the pitchers since last year as the backup, and as the presumed starting catcher since Spring Training this year. And there certainly is value in that. But I wonder how bad he has to be before they make a change.