White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 01:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Another blurb today about Phegley on milb.com:

Quote:
Under the Radar
It's probably safe to say 25-year-old Josh Phegley probably did not enter the season on many fantasy owners' radars. The White Sox's 2009 first-rounder hadn't distinguished himself in parts of four Minor League seasons, and last year with Triple-A Charlotte hit just .266/.306/.373 in 102 games. But something's clicked for the Indiana University product this year. Through 33 games, he's been on fire for the Knights, hitting .333/.393/.659, already having set a career high in home runs last Thursday with his10th of the year.

With Chicago's primary catcher, Tyler Flowers, hitting .195 in the bigs, it's possible the team's No. 15 prospect will get an extended look. And with just six qualified catchers in the American League boasting an OPS of .700 or better, AL-only owners could find themselves getting a useful jolt of offense at the position from the apparently late-blooming Phegley.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Banned

KLaw's thoughts on Jared Mitchel, from his last chat:

Question

Is Jared Mitchell a lost cause as a prospect (speaking of LSU)? Hitting sub .230 for his career, with a recent demotion. Time to call it quits?

Klaw (1:30 PM)

I think he's a release candidate after the season.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
klaw's thoughts on jared mitchel, from his last chat:

question

is jared mitchell a lost cause as a prospect (speaking of lsu)? Hitting sub .230 for his career, with a recent demotion. Time to call it quits?

klaw (1:30 pm)

i think he's a release candidate after the season.
ouch!

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
ouch!
Hurts a lot more when you realize if they wanted a high ceiling toolsy outfielder type, Mike Trout was still on the board. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Ma...Baseball_Draft

A few of us were really confused on the Mitchell pick, as he wasn't as polished as Trout and didn't need to completely start over learning how to hit. This team's draft ability is a joke.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
A few of us were really confused on the Mitchell pick, as he wasn't as polished as Trout and didn't need to completely start over learning how to hit. This team's draft ability is a joke.
Mitchell was also coming off being named the College World Series MVP and being compared to Carl Crawford. He was the wrong pick, but he was considered a first rounder by most scouts. If can't see how anyone would be "confused" by the pick.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Mitchell was also coming off being named the College World Series MVP and being compared to Carl Crawford. He was the wrong pick, but he was considered a first rounder by most scouts. If can't see how anyone would be "confused" by the pick.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Mitchell hadn't played baseball much until his senior year of high school. He was certainly a toolsy player but was obviously very raw and would need a lot of development. Given the Sox inability to develop even relatively mature position players (though I can't remember the last time they drafted one) it would have seemed to be a poor fit. But Kenny loved drafting toolsy players who also played football.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I meant some of us in the draft thread. That draft was televised and the analysts were saying the same thing. High ceiling, but really raw and older for his level of advancement. Reworking his swing from scratch was mentioned as priority one. Guess what we didn't do?

I can't seem to find the thread in search, but I remember being really mad about the pick. I didn't think it was right, and if the wanted to go OF, Trout was the obvious choice (though I had some pitchers still on the board higher too). We picked Plegley in that supplemental round instead of Tanner Scheppers, which made me even madder. Granted, he only ended up being a pen arm, but he's been dominant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Mitchell hadn't played baseball much until his senior year of high school. He was certainly a toolsy player but was obviously very raw and would need a lot of development. Given the Sox inability to develop even relatively mature position players (though I can't remember the last time they drafted one) it would have seemed to be a poor fit. But Kenny loved drafting toolsy players who also played football.
Correct
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 PM
WSI Guru

Angel Sanchez cleared waivers, headed to Charlotte.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...61217104089088

And other minor Minor League moves:

https://twitter.com/FutureSox/status/338365693378580480
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.

Last edited by DSpivack; 05-25-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:22 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Angel Sanchez cleared waivers, headed to Charlotte.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...61217104089088
Wasn't Sanchez a Rule V pick? How does that work? Did Los Angeles not want him back?

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Wasn't Sanchez a Rule V pick? How does that work? Did Los Angeles not want him back?
Good question. I assume the Angels didn't want him.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoworld.com
White Sox sent INF Angel Sanchez outright to Triple-A Charlotte.
A Rule 5 pick, Sanchez cleared waivers and was rejected when offered back to the Angels. Sanchez no longer is required to be on the 25-man roster and will continue to provide depth in the minors.
https://twitter.com/MikeDiGiovanna/s...49773910327296
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I can't seem to find the thread in search, but I remember being really mad about the pick. I didn't think it was right, and if the wanted to go OF, Trout was the obvious choice (though I had some pitchers still on the board higher too). We picked Plegley in that supplemental round instead of Tanner Scheppers, which made me even madder. Granted, he only ended up being a pen arm, but he's been dominant.
Well, I'll admit even if KW wanted Trout they wouldn't have drafted him. High Schoolers with Boras as an agent were always avoided by the front office back then. Thank goodness they changed the draft rules.

Last edited by rdivaldi; 05-25-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Mitchell hadn't played baseball much until his senior year of high school. He was certainly a toolsy player but was obviously very raw and would need a lot of development.
He wasn't that inexperienced. He was drafted by the Twins in the 10th round out of high school after being named the Louisiana player of the year.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Well, I'll admit even if KW wanted Trout they wouldn't have drafted him. High Schoolers with Boras as an agent were always avoided by the front office back then. Thank goodness they changed the draft rules.
I strongly suspect in a few weeks you'll find out that those circumstances haven't changed regarding who a player's representative is. We'll see.

Lip
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I strongly suspect in a few weeks you'll find out that those circumstances haven't changed regarding who a player's representative is. We'll see.

Lip
Lip,

Do you have some inside info regarding this? I was pretty pleased last year with the way the draft went, seemed as though kids were being drafted on their talent level, not based on their agent or asking price.