White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Thankfully Joe Torre and the rest of his moronic ilk have to die eventually
Hey, we agree.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI Regular

Nice win, Keppinger and Pauly seem to finally be coming around.

On the down side, after his hot week, Adam seems back to being Adam, and yet another error by our catchers.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 AM
WSI Personality

Waking up in third place beats hell out of last place. Progress is being made.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Our guys needed extras to beat a team as bad as the Fish.

Still, Sox win nanner dances
Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree with you, I can't imagine anything else in which we would continue to allow such egregious human error to continue unabated when the technology to rectify much of those mistakes exists.

That said, can we at least find some middle ground in saying that if we're going to have human umps, they be put through rigorous evaluations and competition every year? How do we keep letting **** umps like Angel Hernandez and Joe West seemingly hold their job forever? If we're going to stick it out with people, can we at least hold them accountable to be the best umpires in the business? Just as players are expected to perform at a certain level, it's becoming ridiculous how many times per night these guys blow a call. I can count three pretty awful blown calls around the MLB tonight alone
I like your second choice. I think they should use technology to rate the umpires. Certainly umpires should be rated both at the minor and major league levels. If a guy like Hernandez is missing calls, send him down to the minors until he shows improvement. You may have an umpire who is having a vision issue, an injury that limits his mobility to move around to get better views or even a guy who is partying too much and not giving his best effort on the job.

I am not a fan of letting technology call balls and strikes, determine goal or no goal, touchdown or just short. field goal or wide right etc.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I am not a fan of letting technology call balls and strikes, determine goal or no goal, touchdown or just short. field goal or wide right etc.
I'm an OF but I'm with the youngbloods on this one. We have the technology to get it right, so just get it right dammit.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwhitesox View Post
i have to disagree with you. I like you believe that instant replay is important; but so does the human element that has made this game great over the years. I hope joe torre and staff continue their good work and live on.
+1
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
Farmer did.
I feel like either Hawk or Stone did, too, just after the fact. I feel like an inning later one of them said something like "I wish Paul could have relived his favorite at bat against Qualls last inning" or something like that
Old 05-25-2013, 11:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

When we had runners on in the 11th I kept thinking, dammit just keep the ball to the left side of the diamond so numnuts wont have to be involved in the play!

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Just got home from the ball park. Nice to get a win, but I'm curious why RV didn't let Reed start the 10th? I think he got the Marlins out on 7 pitches in the 9th. The Marlins had mostly RH hitters coming up in the 10th and RV brings in Thornton (who has been struggling this week). I hate to pick nits, but the move made no sense to me.
First, I hate using closers in non-save situations. Secondly, you don't want a closer to get warmed up, pitch, then rest between innings and come back out. You're just asking for a blow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-25-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
If he does, Uncle Bud is a moron.
I already knew that.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
Hawk got reprimanded for ripping Mark Wegner (not Joe West) after he ejected Jose Quintana in Tampa Bay, IIRC.
Yes,he did.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny bench View Post
Waking up in third place beats hell out of last place. Progress is being made.
Next step: .500 .Then,we'll talk.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Good win. Much needed,the way the Tigers are streaking...must stay within 5 games of tigers.

I agree that there are certain umps who are chronically error-prone.
Hernanadez is certainly on that list,along with Marquez,and Buckner.
West also.

I am not for electronic umping,but am for electronic monitoring of umps,and their performance....and for sending them down to the minors for a season,bringing up the best of the minor league guys. These guys are not Supreme Court Justices...they should be subject to demotion.
Hawk better not be reprimanded for his understandable observations.

Rios continues to be Stallion-like...PK coming to life,slowly,and the two out rbis are becoming a habit...love it.
Gimenez seems to be deserving of more starts vs righthanded starters,imo.
He is not a great defender,but neither is Tyler flowers,and at least Hector makes contact more often at the plate,from the left side.
I think if he got more at bats,he might hit for a decent average.

Kepp is starting to make regular contact...progress.

Finally, Danks did his job. Kept them in the game,despite not breaking 90mph...the thing is...I am not certain that he needs to throw 94,as a lefty. Leftys can win with less than overpowering stuff,as we all know from Burls. Can Danks recover his pop? I think so,over time. In the meantime,he can be a crafty lefty, if he throws strikes. This was about the most efficient Danks I have seen in a few years...like it.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

"Don't fall down,Tyler!!"

It's now up there with "C'mon,Timo!","Joe...Crede!!", "C'mon,AJ!!"*
"You gotta be beepin' me" and "What are you doing,Wegner?!?!?" as my favorite Hawkisms.

* Actually,Steve Stone uttered this one in ST 2012. AJ had hit an inside the park HR.Neither Hawk nor Stone knew if he'd beat the throw to home plate.AJ
just beat the relay and scored.I found it hysterical.