White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 10:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Hawk got reprimanded for ripping Mark Wegner (not Joe West) after he ejected Jose Quintana in Tampa Bay, IIRC.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
WSI Prelate

There are some teams that won't give you a chance to win the game twice. Fortunately, the Marlins weren't such a team tonight, and unfortunately it only counts as one win. The runner on third with one out that didn't score after Gimenez struck out in the third could have given the Sox enough to win in nine, but Gillaspie was only at second when the Gimenez at bat began. And Gimenez did go on to have a good offense night.

Credit the White Sox with coming back in the 11th after the bad call kept them from winning in the 10th. I liked the way Konerko got it started with one out. I liked Viciedo, of all hitters, hitting behind the runner and getting him to third and I liked Keppinger hitting the ball though the infield with the third baseman playing in.

It was a nice outing from Danks. It wasn't a great night for the starter to go just six in a game that would go extras with the long reliever still resting after his last start. I would have liked to have seen Konerko and Chad Qualls relive a special memory, but it was a good ballgame with the bullpen tough when it needed to be and one the Sox and Nate Jones needed to win.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I really have a problem classifying that as a "bang-bang" play. Alex was clearly safe. If you can't get that call right you should not be umpiring Major League Baseball games.
Agreed. That was more of a "bang.....bang" play. Absolutely pathetic. And if Harrelson get's talked to, even more pathetic.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
Hawk got reprimanded for ripping Mark Wegner (not Joe West) after he ejected Jose Quintana in Tampa Bay, IIRC.
That Wegner rant was pretty epic, and it was based on opinion (he doesn't understand baseball!). Hawk was much more restrained on Hernandez and there's absolutely no doubt that he blew that call.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Credit the White Sox with coming back in the 11th after the bad call kept them from winning in the 10th. I liked the way Konerko got it started with one out. I liked Viciedo, of all hitters, hitting behind the runner and getting him to third and I liked Keppinger hitting the ball though the infield with the third baseman playing in.
Playing the infield in was the key. Doesn't it increase BA's by 80 points? At normal depth, it was likely a double play.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just got home from the ball park. Nice to get a win, but I'm curious why RV didn't let Reed start the 10th? I think he got the Marlins out on 7 pitches in the 9th. The Marlins had mostly RH hitters coming up in the 10th and RV brings in Thornton (who has been struggling this week). I hate to pick nits, but the move made no sense to me.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Playing the infield in was the key. Doesn't it increase BA's by 80 points? At normal depth, it was likely a double play.
Some people say 80 points. Some say 100 points. It probably depends on the hitter's ability to make contact. Whether tonight's game-ending hit would have been a double play at normal depth depends on how far the third baseman would have had to range for the ball. You would like to think Keppinger hit it where he did because the infield was playing in at the corners, and, really, there's no reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt. If the third baseman has to leave his feet, the double play is probably lost, and he probably isn't going to get the runner out at the plate.

Gene Mauch, when he managed the Expos, used to pull in an outfielder to add another infielder in such situations. The only time I saw it work though was when the hitter struck out.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Just got home from the ball park. Nice to get a win, but I'm curious why RV didn't let Reed start the 10th? I think he got the Marlins out on 7 pitches in the 9th. The Marlins had mostly RH hitters coming up in the 10th and RV brings in Thornton (who has been struggling this week). I hate to pick nits, but the move made no sense to me.
We're going to need Reed tomorrow (when I go), and probably Sunday as well. Short stints to keep his arm ready.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
Old 05-25-2013, 12:05 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The Sox don't have too many relievers who excel when sent out for a second inning of work. That's not the way it should be, but that's the way it is.

Also, it's a long season and Crain and Reed have already had a lot of work. In particular, they need to be careful with Crain, who is on pace for about 90 appearances.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Thankfully Joe Torre and the rest of his moronic ilk have to die eventually
I have to disagree with you. I like you believe that instant replay is important; but so does the human element that has made this game great over the years. I hope Joe Torre and staff continue their good work and live on.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
I have to disagree with you. I like you believe that instant replay is important; but so does the human element that has made this game great over the years. I hope Joe Torre and staff continue their good work and live on.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you, I can't imagine anything else in which we would continue to allow such egregious human error to continue unabated when the technology to rectify much of those mistakes exists.

That said, can we at least find some middle ground in saying that if we're going to have human umps, they be put through rigorous evaluations and competition every year? How do we keep letting **** umps like Angel Hernandez and Joe West seemingly hold their job forever? If we're going to stick it out with people, can we at least hold them accountable to be the best umpires in the business? Just as players are expected to perform at a certain level, it's becoming ridiculous how many times per night these guys blow a call. I can count three pretty awful blown calls around the MLB tonight alone
Old 05-25-2013, 01:10 AM
WSI Guru

How do Hawk and Stoney not bring up the PK homer off Qualls in 2005 tonight?

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 05-25-2013, 02:27 AM
WSI Prelate

When Angel Hernandez is allowed to umpire, replay won't help.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
How do Hawk and Stoney not bring up the PK homer off Qualls in 2005 tonight?
Farmer did.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 05-25-2013, 06:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You will never, ever see a non human calling balls and strikes. That according to Joe Torre this week to Dan Patrick.

Lip
Joe Torre and Bud Selig won't live forever.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.