White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 PM
24thStFan 24thStFan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,003
Post Why Not a Six-Man Rotation?

Sale
Peavy
Danks
Quintana
Axelrod
Santiago

From what I've read, the cons of a 6-man rotation seem to be:
a. don't let your ace pitch so often;
b. mess with your bullpen;and,
c. weaken your bench.

But given the current situation with the Sox;
a. Sale might benefit from more rest (he just missed a start);
b. our bull pen is already unsettled;
c. well, you know all about our bench.

In addition, wouldn't Peavy and Danks benefit from some extra rest? I'm not a baseball expert like some other posters here, so I'm asking an honest question. I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of others.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Foulke You Foulke You is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 8,799
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Sale
Peavy
Danks
Quintana
Axelrod
Santiago

From what I've read, the cons of a 6-man rotation seem to be:
a. don't let your ace pitch so often;
b. mess with your bullpen;and,
c. weaken your bench.

But given the current situation with the Sox;
a. Sale might benefit from more rest (he just missed a start);
b. our bull pen is already unsettled;
c. well, you know all about our bench.

In addition, wouldn't Peavy and Danks benefit from some extra rest? I'm not a baseball expert like some other posters here, so I'm asking an honest question. I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of others.
I see this as a negative. The Sox need Sale and Peavy to pitch as much as they can this year to have a chance. Going to a six man would be reducing the amount of times they can help you win a game. I understand the point about Sale's health but it is hard to even say if giving him 1 extra day would save him from an injury.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 52,975
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I see this as a negative. The Sox need Sale and Peavy to pitch as much as they can this year to have a chance. Going to a six man would be reducing the amount of times they can help you win a game. I understand the point about Sale's health but it is hard to even say if giving him 1 extra day would save him from an injury.
That's generally my feeling, as well, not to mention the Sox bullpen is really thin behind Crain and Reed, I don't know if further diluting the talent is the right move. If Santiago (or Axelrod, I suppose) can pitch as well out of the bullpen as they have as starters, that gives the Sox 3 legitimately good arms in the bullpen and that is a nice luxury to have. If they had 1-2 more really dependable arms in the bullpen, maybe the 6-man rotation makes more sense, but as it is right now, I don't think they have enough to support a short-armed bullpen.

Maybe give a guy a spot start here and there during long stretches without days off to give guys extra rest, but going strictly 6-man, I think under utilizes your best pitchers and risk overtaxing your worst.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
24thStFan 24thStFan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,003
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Maybe give a guy a spot start here and there during long stretches without days off to give guys extra rest, but going strictly 6-man, I think under utilizes your best pitchers and risk overtaxing your worst.
We may have to do this out of necessity, anyways. But what you all have said makes sense. I'm just a little worried about everyone holding up over the long haul given their past history.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 52,975
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
We may have to do this out of necessity, anyways. But what you all have said makes sense. I'm just a little worried about everyone holding up over the long haul given their past history.
No, I understand your concern, it's perfectly valid, but this is also the corner you paint yourself in when you play like **** for the first month of the season and bury yourself early. The Sox, unfortunately, don't have the luxury to not ride their best players now, they're in catch up mode. So you're kind of damned if you do or damned if you don't. But I think it's preferable that if you're going to go down, you do so with your best players contributing as much to the cause as possible (just my opinion).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2013, 05:06 PM
vinny's Avatar
vinny vinny is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 3,498
Default

"Peavy and Sale, then pray for hail!"
__________________
2013: 4-4
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM
WLL1855 WLL1855 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 606
Default

This **** again?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 PM
WLL1855 WLL1855 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Sale
Peavy
Danks
Quintana
Axelrod
Santiago

From what I've read, the cons of a 6-man rotation seem to be:
a. don't let your ace pitch so often;
b. mess with your bullpen;and,
c. weaken your bench.

But given the current situation with the Sox;
a. Sale might benefit from more rest (he just missed a start);
b. our bull pen is already unsettled;
c. well, you know all about our bench.

In addition, wouldn't Peavy and Danks benefit from some extra rest? I'm not a baseball expert like some other posters here, so I'm asking an honest question. I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of others.
If it was such a great idea, why don't other teams do it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 17,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
If it was such a great idea, why don't other teams do it?
Amen.

We ain't got six aces out there.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 PM
WLL1855 WLL1855 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
We may have to do this out of necessity, anyways. But what you all have said makes sense. I'm just a little worried about everyone holding up over the long haul given their past history.
Please elaborate.

I don't know if you caught it or not. The Sox have probably the best head trainer in sports. They have been by far the healthiest MLB for well over a decade.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 52,975
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
This **** again?
Uh, when was the last time someone brought up the idea of running out a 6-man rotation?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Sale
Peavy
Danks
Quintana
Axelrod
Santiago

From what I've read, the cons of a 6-man rotation seem to be:
a. don't let your ace pitch so often;
b. mess with your bullpen;and,
c. weaken your bench.

But given the current situation with the Sox;
a. Sale might benefit from more rest (he just missed a start);
b. our bull pen is already unsettled;
c. well, you know all about our bench.

In addition, wouldn't Peavy and Danks benefit from some extra rest? I'm not a baseball expert like some other posters here, so I'm asking an honest question. I'd appreciate hearing the thoughts of others.
Because the Sox badly need a second left hander in the bullpen, that guy appears to be Santiago (short of a trade...)

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 52,975
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Because the Sox badly need a second left hander in the bullpen, that guy appears to be Santiago (short of a trade...)

Lip
Which is funny, because of Hector's screwball, he throws much more like a righty if you're looking at the splits.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,115
Default

Actually, wouldn't the "odd man out" be better off going to Charlotte ( as long as he has options) and remaining a starter than going to the White Sox bullpen and getting spot duty. That way if another starter goes down for a stretch, we have one ready to go at AAA.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 52,975
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Actually, wouldn't the "odd man out" be better off going to Charlotte ( as long as he has options) and remaining a starter than going to the White Sox bullpen and getting spot duty. That way if another starter goes down for a stretch, we have one ready to go at AAA.
In a perfect world, yeah, probably, but I don't think Donnie Veal gave them a choice as to who was going to be the odd man out.

Last edited by doublem23; 05-24-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.