White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
When it has been the same complaints over and over and over and over again from the same people, you start to wonder why, if it makes them so unhappy they continue to support that team.
If I may be completely honest, my interest in the White Sox has decreased since Frank Thomas left the team, so it's accurate to say that I'm not as big a fan of the team as I once was.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM
WSI Guru

Good read:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/20282...white-sox.html

Lip
Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Because unless it's a glandular or other disorder, it's a life choice. Like being an alcoholic. No different.
Why would you choose to be wrong twice in such a short post? Is there some race to be wrong I don't know about?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If the posters on this site took 1-2 minutes to check Baseball Reference, we would see a lot fewer ignorant posts.
Well, I was equally wrong about Ruth as was the guy that claimed David Ortiz hit 350 or so home runs in 5 years.

Like I said, Puckett and Gwynn weren't fat until late in their careers and Howard wasn't fat.

There's precedent for fat players to do well into the 30's, but it's rare. I'm glad the Sox don't owe $96m to a guy that's 300+.

The Tigers have a small window because they're old and fat and Verlander's dominance has a shelf life. I heard he got rocked again last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
Why would you choose to be wrong twice in such a short post? Is there some race to be wrong I don't know about?
Being obese, minus a genetic predisposition/glandular disorder, is 100% a choice, as is being an alcoholic when not genetically predisposed.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
Also, yes, and I win.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Being obese, minus a genetic predisposition/glandular disorder, is 100% a choice, as is being an alcoholic when not genetically predisposed.
We have almost totally removed personal responsibility out of the equation of life.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
This statement reveals so much. The entire medical profession can't explain alcoholism and yet you know it all.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
As Paulwny showed you the term "marginal player" was hardly fair. Face it the world is made up of all types and in statistics we learn about "outliers". It's not a cookie cutter world. Not yet anyway. So you're a lean mean bike messenger machine and really I think that's great. I'll still take Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera on my team any day of the week. As for Babe Ruth falling off in his early 30's you be the judge.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ruthba01.shtml
I agree. Fielder and Cabrera would be welcome on my team. If only everyone would do what some people think is best for everyone. Some people are exceptions to the rules.

If you look at an acuarial table it will show, for each age, what the probability is that a person of a given age will die before his or her next birthday. But if you look at one person that table will tell you little or nothing.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
This statement reveals so much. The entire medical profession can't explain alcoholism and yet you know it all.
I know a lot of alcoholics and a lot of straight edgers, and a lot of people in between. Does that count for anything? I don't mean to make statements of opinion as fact like munch does, but this seems like a pretty safe bet to me. I mean, don't pick it up, and it never happens. This coming from a heavy drinker with a wife who is/was in AA.

Also, thank you! I have often considered myself ahead of the medical profession. I was in south England last week. I should have asked you to meet up so I could have answered your questions on everything, being the authority and all. You would have had insights people can only dream of!

Anyway, back to the matter at hand - the alcoholism discussion (which I wish I had not started) doesn't change my opinion on the obesity portion of what I stated. A choice almost 100% of the time.

Last edited by kittle42; 05-24-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I know a lot of alcoholics and a lot of straight edgers, and a lot of people in between. Does that count for anything? I don't mean to make statements of opinion as fact like munch does, but this seems like a pretty safe bet to me. I mean, don't pick it up, and it never happens. This coming from a heavy drinker with a wife who is/was in AA.

Also, thank you! I have often considered myself ahead of the medical profession. I was in south England last week. I should have asked you to meet up so I could have answered your questions on everything, being the authority and all. You would have had insights people can only dream of!

Anyway, back to the matter at hand - the alcoholism discussion (which I wish I had not started) doesn't change my opinion on the obesity portion of what I stated. A choice almost 100% of the time.
Thank you for your kind offer but I don't have any questions for you.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Thank you for your kind offer but I don't have any questions for you.
It is great to know I have answered them all on this board already! I enjoy providing helpful services to people.

Please remember that I have offered to provide similar valuable services in the future.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM
MMXXIII

I don't even know what you guys are talking about any more