White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
When it has been the same complaints over and over and over and over again from the same people, you start to wonder why, if it makes them so unhappy they continue to support that team.
If I may be completely honest, my interest in the White Sox has decreased since Frank Thomas left the team, so it's accurate to say that I'm not as big a fan of the team as I once was.
  #107  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Good read:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/20282...white-sox.html

Lip
  #108  
Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
MarksBrokenFoot MarksBrokenFoot is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Because unless it's a glandular or other disorder, it's a life choice. Like being an alcoholic. No different.
Why would you choose to be wrong twice in such a short post? Is there some race to be wrong I don't know about?
  #109  
Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
If the posters on this site took 1-2 minutes to check Baseball Reference, we would see a lot fewer ignorant posts.
Well, I was equally wrong about Ruth as was the guy that claimed David Ortiz hit 350 or so home runs in 5 years.

Like I said, Puckett and Gwynn weren't fat until late in their careers and Howard wasn't fat.

There's precedent for fat players to do well into the 30's, but it's rare. I'm glad the Sox don't owe $96m to a guy that's 300+.

The Tigers have a small window because they're old and fat and Verlander's dominance has a shelf life. I heard he got rocked again last night.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
  #110  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
Why would you choose to be wrong twice in such a short post? Is there some race to be wrong I don't know about?
Being obese, minus a genetic predisposition/glandular disorder, is 100% a choice, as is being an alcoholic when not genetically predisposed.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #111  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
Why would you choose to be wrong twice in such a short post? Is there some race to be wrong I don't know about?
Also, yes, and I win.
  #112  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Being obese, minus a genetic predisposition/glandular disorder, is 100% a choice, as is being an alcoholic when not genetically predisposed.
We have almost totally removed personal responsibility out of the equation of life.
  #113  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 AM
kufram kufram is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Of England
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Being obese, minus a genetic predisposition/glandular disorder, is 100% a choice, as is being an alcoholic when not genetically predisposed.
This statement reveals so much. The entire medical profession can't explain alcoholism and yet you know it all.
  #114  
Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 AM
kufram kufram is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Of England
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
As Paulwny showed you the term "marginal player" was hardly fair. Face it the world is made up of all types and in statistics we learn about "outliers". It's not a cookie cutter world. Not yet anyway. So you're a lean mean bike messenger machine and really I think that's great. I'll still take Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera on my team any day of the week. As for Babe Ruth falling off in his early 30's you be the judge.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ruthba01.shtml
I agree. Fielder and Cabrera would be welcome on my team. If only everyone would do what some people think is best for everyone. Some people are exceptions to the rules.

If you look at an acuarial table it will show, for each age, what the probability is that a person of a given age will die before his or her next birthday. But if you look at one person that table will tell you little or nothing.
  #115  
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
This statement reveals so much. The entire medical profession can't explain alcoholism and yet you know it all.
I know a lot of alcoholics and a lot of straight edgers, and a lot of people in between. Does that count for anything? I don't mean to make statements of opinion as fact like munch does, but this seems like a pretty safe bet to me. I mean, don't pick it up, and it never happens. This coming from a heavy drinker with a wife who is/was in AA.

Also, thank you! I have often considered myself ahead of the medical profession. I was in south England last week. I should have asked you to meet up so I could have answered your questions on everything, being the authority and all. You would have had insights people can only dream of!

Anyway, back to the matter at hand - the alcoholism discussion (which I wish I had not started) doesn't change my opinion on the obesity portion of what I stated. A choice almost 100% of the time.

Last edited by kittle42; 05-24-2013 at 04:44 AM.
  #116  
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 AM
kufram kufram is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Of England
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I know a lot of alcoholics and a lot of straight edgers, and a lot of people in between. Does that count for anything? I don't mean to make statements of opinion as fact like munch does, but this seems like a pretty safe bet to me. I mean, don't pick it up, and it never happens. This coming from a heavy drinker with a wife who is/was in AA.

Also, thank you! I have often considered myself ahead of the medical profession. I was in south England last week. I should have asked you to meet up so I could have answered your questions on everything, being the authority and all. You would have had insights people can only dream of!

Anyway, back to the matter at hand - the alcoholism discussion (which I wish I had not started) doesn't change my opinion on the obesity portion of what I stated. A choice almost 100% of the time.
Thank you for your kind offer but I don't have any questions for you.
  #117  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
Thank you for your kind offer but I don't have any questions for you.
It is great to know I have answered them all on this board already! I enjoy providing helpful services to people.

Please remember that I have offered to provide similar valuable services in the future.
  #118  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,176
Blog Entries: 5
Default



I don't even know what you guys are talking about any more
__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.