White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Who appointed you the WSI fan police?

You don't like the direction the organization is taking? THEN WHY STAY A FAN? WHY ARE YOU STILL A FAN? ANSWER MY QUESTION!


Just because you're a smart ass to everyone here doesn't make you right. I thought this thread was supposed to be about Hahn's rebuilding thoughts but it's been hijacked by you ripping on other posters and making bull**** arguments about why other people are still fans (and how fat they are).
When it has been the same complaints over and over and over and over again from the same people, you start to wonder why, if it makes them so unhappy they continue to support that team.

I just don't get why it's acceptable to call someone a fat ass, when pretty much every other derogatory term imaginable isn't allowed.
__________________
"I told you I'd give my left nut to help this team." Paul Konerko
  #92  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
It's important to keep the hope.
One day, maybe.
  #93  
Old 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Fat pitchers are totally different. Fat pitchers play once a week and don't need to move much. Fat position players are a whole different story. I asked for examples earlier and got about 10 marginal players, some pitchers, and Babe Ruth, who probably fell off in his early 30's.

Apologies for sounding like a fattist, but we're talking about pro sports and $94M owed to an obese hitter. I'll be shocked if that contract doesn't look absolutely awful in 2-3 years. Cabrera might be worse as he's fat and a drunk.
Marginal Players?
After age 30
Frank Howard- > 40hr 3 times-4 time all star
Tony Gwynn- 9 time all star
Kirby Puckett- 5 time all star
Check their stats after age 30

I forgot about Yogi Berra-7 time all star after age 30
__________________
She's the foundation I lean on, My woman, my WIFE.

Last edited by Paulwny; 05-22-2013 at 10:36 AM.
  #94  
Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
Marginal Players?
After age 30
Frank Howard- > 40hr 3 times-4 time all star
Tony Gwynn- 9 time all star
Kirby Puckett- 5 time all star
Check their stats after age 30

I forgot about Yogi Berra-7 time all star after age 30



I think we have a slightly different definition of fat. Puckett and Gwynn didn't get fat until late in their career. Fielder has been fat his whole life.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
  #95  
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post



I think we have a slightly different definition of fat. Puckett and Gwynn didn't get fat until late in their career. Fielder has been fat his whole life.

I think we both also have a different definition of " marginal players".
  #96  
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
I think we both also have a different definition of " marginal players".
Not really. I was dismissing the nonfat players you named. Puckett and Gwynn didn't get fat until the end and Frank Howard was anything but fat.
  #97  
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Not really. I was dismissing the nonfat players you named. Puckett and Gwynn didn't get fat until the end and Frank Howard was anything but fat.
Your quote, " I asked for examples earlier and got about 10 marginal players ....."
You called them marginal players.
  #98  
Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
get why it's acceptable to call someone a fat ass, when pretty much every other derogatory term imaginable isn't allowed.
Because unless it's a glandular or other disorder, it's a life choice. Like being an alcoholic. No different.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #99  
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Looks totally healthy.
He looks great to me. He projects solid strength.
  #100  
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Bobby Thigpen Bobby Thigpen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: "Downstate" Illinois
Posts: 3,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Because unless it's a glandular or other disorder, it's a life choice. Like being an alcoholic. No different.
Yes. Because no one in history has ever been big before. He had no genetic disposition to be his size. I'm sure, if he just quit sitting on his couch eating cheetos he'd be 175 lbs. Wait, he did quit eating fat ass foods, worked his butt off in workouts, and was still big. Damn his life choices.
  #101  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Yes. Because no one in history has ever been big before. He had no genetic disposition to be his size. I'm sure, if he just quit sitting on his couch eating cheetos he'd be 175 lbs. Wait, he did quit eating fat ass foods, worked his butt off in workouts, and was still big. Damn his life choices.
Vegetarian doesn't equal not eating "fat ass foods." One still has to pick healthy options despite being vegetarian. Think about how much vegetarian food has copious amounts of fat in it. Also, from his Wiki page:

"Prior to the 2008 season Fielder became a vegetarian. Fielder made this choice after reading Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, given to him by his wife. However, his time as a vegetarian was short-lived; in January 2012, in his introductory press conference as a Detroit Tiger, he stated, "I'm not a vegetarian. I was, for like three months."

So, really, please know what you are talking about next time. Saves me time (as in the 10 seconds it could have taken to find this info). Thanks in advance!
  #102  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 PM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 4,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Fat pitchers are totally different. Fat pitchers play once a week and don't need to move much. Fat position players are a whole different story. I asked for examples earlier and got about 10 marginal players, some pitchers, and Babe Ruth, who probably fell off in his early 30's.

Apologies for sounding like a fattist, but we're talking about pro sports and $94M owed to an obese hitter. I'll be shocked if that contract doesn't look absolutely awful in 2-3 years. Cabrera might be worse as he's fat and a drunk.
As Paulwny showed you the term "marginal player" was hardly fair. Face it the world is made up of all types and in statistics we learn about "outliers". It's not a cookie cutter world. Not yet anyway. So you're a lean mean bike messenger machine and really I think that's great. I'll still take Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera on my team any day of the week. As for Babe Ruth falling off in his early 30's you be the judge.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ruthba01.shtml
  #103  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
As for Babe Ruth falling off in his early 30's you be the judge.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ruthba01.shtml
If the posters on this site took 1-2 minutes to check Baseball Reference, we would see a lot fewer ignorant posts.
  #104  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
delben91 delben91 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
If the posters on this site took 1-2 minutes to check Baseball Reference, we would see a lot fewer ignorant posts.
Hyperbole is much more fun than fact checking (says a poster who has admittedly had his share of hyperbolic moments...)
__________________
I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding.
  #105  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
Hyperbole is much more fun than fact checking (says a poster who has admittedly had his share of hyperbolic moments...)
Well, so have I. Hypocrisy is admittedly hard to avoid on the internet. But fact checking is *so* easy with sites like that.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.