White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Oh Im not supporting the contract, just saying that detroit isnt falling off the face of the earth anytime soon.
Well they're not exactly crushing it, either. We're talking about a team that's a whole 19 games over .500 since the start of the 2012 season, playoffs included.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well they're not exactly crushing it, either. We're talking about a team that's a whole 19 games over .500 since the start of the 2012 season, playoffs included.

No but anyone who had to bet their childrens lives on who will win the central, Id say 90% would pick detroit.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I meant in the future. There's a track record of fat guys breaking down at their age.
I'm willing to bet, statistically speaking across American averages based on body fat %s, that Prince Fielder is less fat than you.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Find me a really big guy that sustained that level after 30.
Right off the top of my head, David Ortiz
Old 05-21-2013, 04:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I'm willing to bet, statistically speaking across American averages based on body fat %s, that Prince Fielder is less fat than you.
There's no ****ing way. I'm a 6'1/180 lb bike messenger. Plus, that's the worst Internet argument ever. Next you're going to tell me, "at least he makes more money than you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-21-2013, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Right off the top of my head, David Ortiz
Numbers dropped dramatically at 31.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Right around the time MLB started drug testing too. I think that has much more to do with it.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
There is plenty of precedent to suggest larger guys don't hold up as well over the course of their careers. Prince's durability to this point has been great, but he's still only 29 years old. To think his durability in this decade translates automatically to the next would be foolish.

Sox fans shouldn't need a primer in that. Here's our beloved big man slugger, Frank Thomas:

Age 22-30: 1,236 GP out of 1,296 team games = 96%
Age 31-40: 1,086 GP out of 1,620 team games = 67%

Production also suffered :

Pre-30: .321/.443/.584, 174 OPS+, 19.24 PA/HR
31-40: .277/.390/.521, 135 OPS+, 19.45 PA/HR

Maybe Fielder will be the guy that breaks the mold, but it is much more historically contrarian to think that as he ages, he won't feel the affects of his weight.
And to automatically assume a guy who has never been on the DL and almost never misses a game is all of a sudden going to break down is equally foolish I'd say.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
And to automatically assume a guy who has never been on the DL and almost never misses a game is all of a sudden going to break down is equally foolish I'd say.
It's definitely no foolish to say 300+ lb humans break down physically after 30.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Honestly no, because for all the hype of their young players like Starlin, Rizzo, Soler, etc. they have not yet been able to prove they can identify or develop pitching. The Sox, for all their woes, do seem to at least be able to cultivate arms; who would have thought that as we enter the last week of May that Hector, Quintana, and Axelrod would have pitched well enough to justify a SP spot when Danks returns. For all the flash and sizzle the Cubs rebuild gets, they still have not proven they can find any solution to their organization's serious lack of quality pitchers.

That said, neither team is in a real good place right now. But I don't, at all, think it is a given that in say, 2016, 2017, or 2018 the Cubs will DEFINITELY be a better team than the Sox as the organizations are cosnstucted right now.
...and they will have the luxery of rebuilding in front of 3 million fans because a trendy neighborhood, beer, and sunshine win in Chicago.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Wrong. He became a full time player at age 24. From 24-29 he hit 167 home runs From 30-35 he hit 368. According to my math,he hit twice as many homers in his 30's as he hit in his 20's.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Wrong. He became a full time player at age 24. From 24-29 he hit 167 home runs From 30-35 he hit 368. According to my math,he hit twice as many homers in his 30's as he hit in his 20's.
Of course you throw in his monster year when he was 30, which I didn't include. His numbers have still nosedived after that peak year. If Fielder performs at Ortiz' level at 32, it's one of the worst contracts in baseball.

Has Ortiz really hit 535 home runs?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Beckham at Short..hmmm. TCM on his way out? Would not break my heart if they trade him, never a big fan of his.
Neither - we need a backup shortstop. If Beckham can do that, it allows us to keep Keppinger and Gillespie (neither of whom can play short) on the roster. So Beckham can shift to short to give Alexei a day off.

As for rebuilding, our starting pitching will likely keep us within 5 or 6 games most of the way. I'm okay with low-cost addition.
And our 2 sellable players, Peavy and Rios, will be sellable this time next year (at a lower price, however).
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I ask this in seriousness, and I know this has been addressed before, but if you don't like anything about the organization, you think that there is some conspiracy for it to suck, why do you remain a fan?
There's no conspiracy. They are just wrong a great percentage of the time. I am a fan because I am a fan. I support them at all turns even if I think they are goddamn morons. I may not pay attention to every game because it is a waste of my time at this point, but I still look to see the score every day and hope that it is a White Sox Winner. Just because I see no hope for them either (1) winning the division in 2013 or (2) being capable of building any kind of young hope for the future in the near future doesn't mean I am not a fan.

But go ahead, take my Fan Card. It's good for a free hot dog with a two-inning line wait at the Cell. And if we call them the Rainbow White Sox, even better, no?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
...and they will have the luxery of rebuilding in front of 3 million fans because a trendy neighborhood, beer, and sunshine win in Chicago.
If you won't rebuild because of the Cubs, just move. Hell, they almost did it a few decades ago.
Closed Thread