White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It is sad, but would anyone not trade places with the Cubs right now? Atleast having a highly regarded Farm system makes the rebuild stomachable. The Sox are basically stuck in baseball hell, absolutely terrible, pathetic MLB roster and an equally pathetic farm system.
I'm with Doub; I don't get the assertion that rebuilding with a bunch of young players automatically guarantees a playoff appearance three, four years down the road.

Calling the White Sox MLB roster terrible, pathetic when they are 4.5 games behind Detroit in late May is a bit premature. Get back to me in July.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Honestly, I don't think it matters what they're going to do. Whether they decide to continue with the current group or to rebuild, they will find a way to screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
That says it all right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Yup, and I sadly couldn't agree more.
I ask this in seriousness, and I know this has been addressed before, but if you don't like anything about the organization, you think that there is some conspiracy for it to suck, why do you remain a fan?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I ask this in seriousness, and I know this has been addressed before, but if you don't like anything about the organization, you think that there is some conspiracy for it to suck, why do you remain a fan?
You love your children no matter how much or how badly they screw up. You just have to hope they get it right at some point.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Beckham at Short..hmmm. TCM on his way out? Would not break my heart if they trade him, never a big fan of his.
My only problem with Alexei has always been that he would shy away from holding his ground at 2nd when the runner was coming in hard .. i think it would be a mistake to get rid of him unless you had a great prospect waiting to come up to fill his place .. i think Beckham could play short but not as good as Ramirez .. Gordon is so good at 2nd, that i'd not like to see him move .. also, not a lot of fans around baseball know who Alexei Ramirez is, but the scouts sure do..
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
You love your children no matter how much or how badly they screw up. You just have to hope they get it right at some point.
Best.Analogy.Ever.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Too early to give up,and Hahn knows that.

The Sox still have the best rotation in the division.
The Sox still have the best bullpen in the division.

If the bats heat up at all...they will be in contention all summer.
Alexei needs to stay put....Gordo not good enough to take over at SS.
Do not break this combo up..they are as good as anyone in the league.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Too early to give up,and Hahn knows that.

The Sox still have the best rotation in the division.
The Sox still have the best bullpen in the division.

If the bats heat up at all...they will be in contention all summer.
Alexei needs to stay put....Gordo not good enough to take over at SS.
Do not break this combo up..they are as good as anyone in the league.
Defensively? Maybbbbeeeeeeeeeeeee..... I think we overrate Gordon's glove sometimes. Metrically his stats are not great, but he does pass the eye test. That leads me to believe he is above average, but not sensational....

The Sox have a solid rotation, but not a tremendously deep one. They have the makings of a good bullpen, but again, not a great one. Lineup is really bad. Like, one of the worst in professional baseball bad. Maybe I am wrong, but the idea you can win a world series with an offense in the bottom 5 does not sit well with me. We are just not a talented team. I mean, what is more likely, a bad offense magically becomes better, or some sketchy young SP come back down to earth?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Defensively? Maybbbbeeeeeeeeeeeee..... I think we overrate Gordon's glove sometimes. Metrically his stats are not great, but he does pass the eye test. That leads me to believe he is above average, but not sensational....

The Sox have a solid rotation, but not a tremendously deep one. They have the makings of a good bullpen, but again, not a great one. Lineup is really bad. Like, one of the worst in professional baseball bad. Maybe I am wrong, but the idea you can win a world series with an offense in the bottom 5 does not sit well with me. We are just not a talented team. I mean, what is more likely, a bad offense magically becomes better, or some sketchy young SP come back down to earth?
The Sox offense is also getting well below career average production from Keppinger, Konerko, and Alexei (this doesn't even mention Dunn) so it's not like the offense has been bad despite all cylinders clicking. I agree the Sox offense does leave a lot on the table, but I think it's a half-truth, at best to say the only way for some of these guys to pick up the slack is only magic.

People will see what they want to see. The biggest thing right now is that the 100+ win Tiger team we thought we'd have to deal with has not shown up yet. Everyone seems to forget how mediocre Detroit was all last season before heating up at the right time, catching an exhausted Yankees team, before getting blown out of the World Series by another run-of-the mill NL team that caught fire.

ALL THAT SAID, there's a lot of talk in a thread that is clearly based on Hahn feeding the media a bold faced lie. Of course the Sox have a plan to unload some veteran players if need be. I would assume they had it before the season started. But they're inexplicably hanging around again. Last season's Tigers team didn't even get above .500 until July 7 last season. There's absolutely no reason for the Sox not to try for it if they can keep pace in the division.

The Sox look to be better than what most people give them credit for. I assume they're not as well liked, even by our own fans, because they don't do things the "sexy," headline-grabbing way. They don't do the Rays-style and load up on blue chip prospects or the Dodgers/Angels-style and sign every FA to a moster deal. The Sox make subtle moves, like signing Jose Quintana, a guy who never pitched above A-ball last year, to a minor league deal. Or develop guys like Santiago and Axelrod (each taken in the 30th round) into interesting MLB pitchers. When you look at the make-up of this team, it's actually a bunch of grinders or blue collar guys who earned everything they have in this sport. This is the kind of a team you should want to root for. But I guess that's not what people want.

Last edited by doublem23; 05-21-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think it's interesting how these threads seem to go in waves of pessimism followed by optimism followed by pessimism followed by optimism, and so on...
They're quite a roller coaster ride to read.
The fact is that the absence of AJ Pierzynski cannot possibly account for the huge difference in offensive production between now and this time last year. There's gotta be some regression to the mean. We're already seeing it with Dunn. By the time he slows down again he'll probably have his average up to where he was last year, and he's already matched his 2011 HR total, which he did at about the same time last year (May 11).
Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:

If you can count on sketchy young SPs coming down to Earth, you have to also allow for veteran hitters to, erm, come up to Earth as well. When Konerko and Keppinger rebound it'll be like trading two scrubs for two good bats. The chances of them hitting .220 and .199 for the entire season are incredibly slim.

Solid rotation, solid pen, slightly below average offense -- that's more likely what we have. So, you know, 75-80 wins, which is pretty much what most of us expected. With a little bit of overachieving and a sneaky good trade or two it could be a fun summer.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Guru

Double:

Solid points.

Can only speak for me, I don't care how they win, be it with the minor league system aka the Rays or the way the Yankees do it, sign every big name free agent out there. They just need to win.

They simply haven't been doing it.

As you pointed out last month or so, they are caught in the middle and can't seem to figure out a way to get out of that.

Lip
Old 05-21-2013, 12:05 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Double:

Solid points.

Can only speak for me, I don't care how they win, be it with the minor league system aka the Rays or the way the Yankees do it, sign every big name free agent out there. They just need to win.

They simply haven't been doing it.

As you pointed out last month or so, they are caught in the middle and can't seem to figure out a way to get out of that.

Lip
Oh, I agree, and I think the division the Sox play in has a lot do with it. I know people don't like putting together 88-win teams, but that's what Detroit did last year and it got them to the World Series. The way the playoffs are now, you have to try and go for it every year you have a chance, because every year could be your year. I think that's what most people mistakenly carry over from the 2-league or 4-division days, you had to have a 95+-win team to even make the postseason most years, let along do anything. You don't necessarily need that any more in the 6-division world.

So we'll just have to wait and see a few more weeks.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Another reason you don't go into a full rebuild is that the Tigers make up isn't sustainable. Fielder will eat himself out of the league. Verlander's arm will fall off. Cabrera can't carry that weight as he ages. Hunter and Martinez are 56 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Another reason you don't go into a full rebuild is that the Tigers make up isn't sustainable. Fielder will eat himself out of the league. Verlander's arm will fall off. Cabrera can't carry that weight as he ages. Hunter and Martinez are 56 years old.
Maybe true of Fielder, Hunter, and Martinez, but if Cabrera regresses, I don't think it will be this year. The man is positively inhuman. Same with Verlander--he's too young for his arm to just blow up. He's also way smarter than most guys who throw as hard as he does, which means he'll be able to compensate for any lost velocity.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Best.Analogy.Ever.
I agree.
Closed Thread