White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Bernstein is wrong about this, I believe. In addition to Hawk's comments on the Score, Tim McCarver discussed Phegley during the Sox-Angels broadcast today, noting that he is tearing up AAA.

Phegley had to overcome some health issues, has done so and is starting to come into his own as a ballplayer. I think we will see him in Chicago soon.
I heard someone on the WSCR (not sure who- but it was a pro not a a random caller)- saying Phegley was one of the top players in AAA right now.

In the International League- He's #4 in HRs (1 behind leader), #11 in RBIs, #4 OPS
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I heard someone on the WSCR (not sure who- but it was a pro not a a random caller)- saying Phegley was one of the top players in AAA right now.

In the International League- He's #4 in HRs (1 behind leader), #11 in RBIs, #4 OPS
You heard Buddy Bell on White Sox Weekly.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/98...interviews#986
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
You heard Buddy Bell on White Sox Weekly.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/98...interviews#986
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
To be fair, you have to explain the entire context of that segment.

Hawk has notoriously taken the stance that scouting means everything and numbers mean nothing. He has been very all or nothing.

However, despite the fact that no scouting report has Phegley as any kind of real prospect, and most indicate he is a career back up at best (nor is he a top 10 spec, or a top 100/300 prospect etc). His numbers have been very good for a small sample size.

So what B & B were ripping on was not Phegley, but the idea that here, numbers were being used BY HAWK to discount SCOUTING, which kind of makes Hawk a hypocrite in this case....
Well that's not what I remember of Bernstein's comments. The conversation I heard Bernstein bashed Phegley, made some snarky comment(s) about how Phegley was not a prospect. Bernstein bashed Phegley as a way to bash Hawk. That's the way I took it.

As I said, I don't put much weight into Hawk's comment on prospects. But Bernstein's smug, condescending attitude and he's dismissive comments are tiresome to me. I'll take Hawk over Bernstein. Hawk to me is like Harry Caray, a fun, goofy clownish character. Bernstein is just a ...

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Well that's not what I remember of Bernstein's comments. The conversation I heard Bernstein bashed Phegley, made some snarky comment(s) about how Phegley was not a prospect. Bernstein bashed Phegley as a way to bash Hawk. That's the way I took it.
Regardless, I wouldn't get worked up over anything Dan & Terry say. They've found a niche in the sports radio scene, taking the dumbest callers possible and then extrapolating that to an entire sports community. It gets them ratings and business-wise it's done them well.

With regards to Phegley, while he's not one of the top prospects in baseball, to dismiss him as organizational filler is silly and uninformed. He will get a shot in the majors (which is an accomplishment in itself) and may even stick with the big club. He's a good kid, a hard worker and went through some serious adversity early in his career.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Regardless, I wouldn't get worked up over anything Dan & Terry say. They've found a niche in the sports radio scene, taking the dumbest callers possible and then extrapolating that to an entire sports community. It gets them ratings and business-wise it's done them well.

With regards to Phegley, while he's not one of the top prospects in baseball, to dismiss him as organizational filler is silly and uninformed. He will get a shot in the majors (which is an accomplishment in itself) and may even stick with the big club. He's a good kid, a hard worker and went through some serious adversity early in his career.
He's 25- a little old for a AAA prospect- but those stats on offense sure look like a guy who has had a break through.

As far as Bernstein goes- he's a tool. He's one of those annoying new parents who thinks everything their young child does is fascinating- and he bores his listeners with that b.s., he goes out of his way to berate his callers- he lost me forever a few years ago- when he (I kid you not) did a whole segment on "What are your most annoying errors when it comes to grammar?" (i.e. your vs. you're, etc.)- lasted at least 20 minutes.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
WSI Guru

Gordon Beckham is playing SS tonight in Charlotte. Interesting...
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Gordon Beckham is playing SS tonight in Charlotte. Interesting...
Increase his trade value?

Considering moving TCM?

Wake up call for TCM- I heard they were frustrated with him?

No meaning at all?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quick Q: who is our backup SS?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Greene until Sanchez is back, I would guess, right?

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I think Angel Sanchez when he was healthy.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM
WSI Personality

I caught about 1 minute of the Phegley chat on Boers and Bernstein and I thought I had heard Bernstein talk highly of him. Maybe I missed something and he was being facetious.

I could probably count on one hand how many people have professed to being a fan of theirs and yet they regularly destroy ESPN in the ratings. I'm reminded of this exchange regarding Howard Stern in the movie Private Parts:

Researcher: "The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes."

Pig Vomit: "How can that be?"

Researcher: "Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: "Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?"

Researcher: "Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day."

Pig Vomit: "But... if they hate him, why do they listen?"

Researcher: "Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

In other words, LOL at all the B&B haters that seem to know an awful lot about a show they don't listen to.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
In other words, LOL at all the B&B haters that seem to know an awful lot about a show they don't listen to.
Which is exactly why they will continue to stick with their current format. When you're pulling down big ratings, there's really not much reason to switch.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
He's 25- a little old for a AAA prospect- but those stats on offense sure look like a guy who has had a break through.
Wasn't Phegley the guy who was sidelined for a while with a serious illness - I want to say a blood disease. Assuming he's fully recovered, that may explain why he's still in the minors at age 25.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but I do remember reading about him being ill a couple of years ago.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Wasn't Phegley the guy who was sidelined for a while with a serious illness - I want to say a blood disease. Assuming he's fully recovered, that may explain why he's still in the minors at age 25.

I don't know if that's the case or not, but I do remember reading about him being ill a couple of years ago.
Yes, this is correct.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

Yes, he had an extremely rare blood disease that makes him vulnerable to internal bleeding. Eventually he had his spleen removed in 2010. This basically cost him the 2010 and 2011 seasons in terms of his development.