White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 05:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I have heard Silver Linings is a good movie.
"Silver Linings Playbook" is a great movie.

I loved Jennifer Lawrence in this movie!!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
It could be a lot worse. But unfortunately they are 5 games back but also in 5th place. So ideally the White Sox are 10-12 games out of first place. So far, the good thing is the AL West is awful so maybe the wildcard will be a possiblity for the central which gives the Sox 2 chances if they turn it around.
This early in the season, standings plays is less relevant than games behind. The number of teams you have to jump over becomes more relevant as the remaining games become fewer. This year, the Sox are pretty much where they were last year, but they have four teams in front of them instead of two.

After 38 games last year, actually precisely a year ago, the White Sox were 17-21, 4.5 games out of first after losing to Jerome Williams oddly enough. They were in third place, but from that point, they had better records than every other team in the division except for the Tigers. The Sox trailed them by 1.5 games on May 16, and were 3 games behind them at the end of the season. If every other AL Central team were tied for first 4.5 games ahead of the White Sox and the remainder of the season played out, the Sox still would have finished in 2nd place 3 games behind the Tigers.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Silver lining:

You have as good as any 1-2 punch from any rotation in baseball.

Hector can be dominant at times and you have Danks coming back.

Starting pitching is going to keep this team above water IMO.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
It could be a lot worse. But unfortunately they are 5 games back but also in 5th place. So ideally the White Sox are 10-12 games out of first place. So far, the good thing is the AL West is awful so maybe the wildcard will be a possiblity for the central which gives the Sox 2 chances if they turn it around.
Now the Sox are only four back. I think they have a puncher's chance because they have pitching.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Danks will provide needed depth and innings in the rotation. This allows significant flexibility (6-man rotation, skipping starts, future double headers, long relief help, etc.).
I have always thought that Axelrod is a classic swingman -- a pitcher who makes an occasional start but who is really best suited to be a long man in the bullpen. I hope that the Sox go with Sale, Peavy, Danks, Quintana and Santiago as their rotation going forward.

Danks, Santiago, Sale and Quintana would give the Sox four lefties in the rotation but in the AL Central (with the good lefty hitting in the division), that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Beckham will improve the infield defense, which will help the pitchers. Robin will be able to use Keppinger more as a super-sub and pinch hitter, strengthening the bench.
I agree. The silver lining in Beckham's injury is the fact that Sox started playing Gillaspie every day. The Sox are stronger with Gillaspie at 3B, Beckham at 2B and Keppinger as a super sub filling in at 3B, 2B,1B and DH.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

3 game winning streak, and we still get to play a team worse than us! Yes!

Maybe we could petition the league to play the Twins and Angels every week?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI Regular

The Sox have over 100 games yet to play. And so does every other team in the league. Their ace-in-the-hole is their pitching. The Sox have one of the better starting rotations in the AL. And the bats will heat up along with the summer trade winds at the Cell.

And just maybe our luck is turning around. Last night's come from behind win over the Angels was a gift from an underperforming Angels' team.

Despite the predictions of doom from some, the Sox should be fine over the long haul. We'll see if they have enough to catch and surpass the Tigers.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 PM
WSI High Priest

My silver linings-
  1. Dunn and Viciedo both seem rejuvenated at the plate- if Keppinger returns to career norms, Beckham returns (looked pretty good at plate before injury), PK gets back on track- could be a decent run producing offense...albeit without much speed.
  2. Gillaspie is a real find at 3rd- reminds me of the Herbert Perry acquisition in 2000- fills a real hole with giving up anything.
  3. Santiago is such a better starter than reliever- he needs to stay in the rotation when Danks comes back. Ax goes to pen as the long man- could be a nice fit- he'll come in to replace a LH starter- and should face line ups loaded up with RH hitters.
  4. .500 record has you in the Central race right now- we can get there within a week- if we're .500 and in the race at Memorial Day- with our injuries- I'll be happy.
  5. Teams ahead of us all have flaws- I had this team at 83 wins before the season- I'll be happy if we make a decent run and keep it interesting into September-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-18-2013, 01:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
[*]Santiago is such a better starter than reliever- he needs to stay in the rotation when Danks comes back. Ax goes to pen as the long man- could be a nice fit- he'll come in to replace a LH starter- and should face line ups loaded up with RH hitters.
Maybe Danks should go to the pen, at least for a while. Ease him in. 4 LH starters isn't easy.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I have heard Silver Linings is a good movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
"Silver Linings Playbook" is a great movie.

I loved Jennifer Lawrence in this movie!!
Loved it. Saw it twice in theaters (once around its wide release on Black Friday, and again in March) and picked up the BD last week.