White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I know you've been all about the kid since he was drafted, but I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment. The kid's been nothing but terrible defensively, and his swing is way too flat to ever be effective at creating any sort of power. Unless he changes his approach (not likely at this stage), I don't see him being anything but a backup.
His defensive prowess has improved quite a bit since he first came into the system. I will readily admit that he isn't great at stopping balls in the dirt and gives up too many passed balls, but his arm is top notch. He is consistently above 40% at throwing runners out.

I do not agree with your assessment of his swing, it is not "flat".

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I'll just come out and say it... If Phegley wasn't a Hoosier, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The kid's been bad. I know he's faced some real adversity, but he's still only played over 100 games twice. He's 25 and he's having his first hot month after repeating AAA.
His illness was severe and cost him almost 2 years of development. I am biased as he is a Hoosier and have been watching him play since he was a sophomore. But to write this off as a "hot month" is in my opinion short sighted. He's a talented hitter.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Yes, but you see - 5 weeks of cold Tyler Flowers is enough to call for his head. 5 weeks of a hot AAA catcher is enough to anoint him the starter.

While we're at it, get this "Jim Gallagher" character up here, too! He's hot! Never mind that he's 27 and has stunk it up in AAA prior to these 83 at-bats!

Get Jason Berken in this rotation now! Or at least as a long man! So what if he has stunk it up in the majors - he just needed a change of scenery!

Baseball fans! Ignoring organizational depth guys for decades!
Hyperbole. Some of us are just wondering if it's time for the kid to get a shot. Your response is the equivalent of a "strawman" argument.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Hyperbole. Some of us are just wondering if it's time for the kid to get a shot. Your response is the equivalent of a "strawman" argument.
By midseason, when people are calling for someone akin to Dallas MacPherson to come up, I'll bump this post. It happens *every* year.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
His defensive prowess has improved quite a bit since he first came into the system. I will readily admit that he isn't great at stopping balls in the dirt and gives up too many passed balls, but his arm is top notch. He is consistently above 40% at throwing runners out.

I do not agree with your assessment of his swing, it is not "flat".
By flat, I mean level. Level to a fault, he gets no lift at all. Would be fine if he were a speedster.

Most scouting reports out there on him say the same thing...
Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yes, but you see - 5 weeks of cold Tyler Flowers is enough to call for his head. 5 weeks of a hot AAA catcher is enough to anoint him the starter.

While we're at it, get this "Jim Gallagher" character up here, too! He's hot! Never mind that he's 27 and has stunk it up in AAA prior to these 83 at-bats!

Get Jason Berken in this rotation now! Or at least as a long man! So what if he has stunk it up in the majors - he just needed a change of scenery!

I love this post.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm sure the Sox knew they weren't getting an All-Star bat with Tyler, but his defense has been as good as advertised. Kind of hard for me to pin all his offensive failings on him right now, basically everyone on the team is underperforming, might just be the result of a crappy coaching staff.

You mean the Robin Ventura look alike sucks as bad as Greg Walker? Or could it be the philosophy of taking the first pitch at every at bat right down the middle for a called strike, then swing at bad breaking balls in the dirt and outside. It was that way with Walker and it is the same with Manto....It makes me sick, but I still watch...!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Banned

AJ-Texas copy.jpg

"Miss me yet?"
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Attachment 7558

"Miss me yet?"
Are you asking us or Texas fans?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
Attachment 7558

"Miss me yet?"
Thanks for bringing another thing I loathe up in this thread - pining for players who are gone.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Thanks for bringing another thing I loathe up in this thread - pining for players who are gone.
So you're saying the Sox couldn't use Mike LaValliere? Chad Kreuger? Mark Johnson?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
So you're saying the Sox couldn't use Mike LaValliere? Chad Kreuger? Mark Johnson?
Miguel Olivo!

Wait, someone probably believes that.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Miguel Olivo!

Wait, someone probably believes that.
Speaking of Olivo, Freddy Garcia is still pitching. And, for that matter, Mike Morse is back in Seattle.

Where Jeremy Reed is, I don't know...
Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shocker - someone on WSI pissing and moaning about every little thing... It was a joke.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

More like 410 Plate Appearances of Cold Tyler Flowers.

Clearly, the answer to my original question is Option C, but seeing as how we aren't going to trade Flowers for Posey, I figure Phegley at least = Hector Gimenez. May as well give the kid a cup of coffee for a good month or two of hitting...considering the state of the White Sox organization both above and below the major league line (how many other bats - minor or major - have an OPS near 1.000?), my suggestion that he be brought up is hardly ludicrous nor deserving of vitriolic scorn.

If this situation continues for another month, and Flowers is still barely cracking a .600 OPS and continues to strike out at a nearly Dunn-like rate (31.2% vs. 32.8%), and Phegley continues to mash (lots of ifs, I know)...

I don't see what you have to lose by replacing some ABs of a player who is actively costing the White Sox wins at the major league level (passed ball last night) with another player who has yet to cost the White Sox wins at the major league level.

Yikes.