White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm in the smallest of minorities here, (maybe of one?) but instant replay has no part in sports. The tv cameras are an extension of the broadcaster, who has no part of the game. No broadcaster, no replay. Now if there was a tradition of throwing close calls to the writers, I suppose an arguement can be made to include replay. The players don't get "do overs." The umpires are part of the game, just as the players are.

I think if a robotic strike zone was established, guys would regularly hit .400.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Slightly OT, but wasn't Steve McMichael supposed to beat the **** out of Hernandez?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM
WSI Regular

Same thing happened on a ball hit by Maggs years ago when the Sox had a consecutive game HR streak going. No replay then, but someone hit a HR in the 10th inning and we won the game and kept the streak going. Anyone remember who and when? I don't.

Those bars above the yellow line are a blown call waiting to happen.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
Same thing happened on a ball hit by Maggs years ago when the Sox had a consecutive game HR streak going. No replay then, but someone hit a HR in the 10th inning and we won the game and kept the streak going. Anyone remember who and when? I don't.

Those bars above the yellow line are a blown call waiting to happen.
IIRC, Eric Cooper blew that call. He later threw Frank out of the game for arguing balls and strikes. This was after he'd missed a call involving Joe Crede in Baltimore.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

At the end of the video, the WTAM announcer had it perfectly:

"And even with replay, Angel Hernandez got it wrong, and that's really not a surprise."

The only surprise for me is that Melvin isn't still up in his grill over that call.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I think it would set a terrible precedent for MLB to reverse a call after the game is over, no matter how bad the call is. If that actually happened, games would start being played under protest all the time. It would eventually devolve to games under protest for a bad third strike call in the second inning. Where would the line be between a call bad enough to reverse and a bad call that's not quite bad enough?

Also, I saw that the Angels played a game under protest yesterday or the day before. Wasn't Scioscia the one that protested a game against the Sox last year? Announcing that you are playing a game under protest sounds like a grade school recess stomp and huff move to me.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM
MMXXIII

Phil Rogers being a predictable idiot:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,682369.column

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfan View Post
I think if a robotic strike zone was established, guys would regularly hit .400.
Assertions made without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Assertions made without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
Oh, do I wish 90% of the world realized this.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastchicagosoxfan View Post

It's only a guess, but I'm thinking that a robotic strike zone following the letter of the rule book would result in fewer walks and lower batting averages. As long as I've been watching baseball, the strike zone seems to be called smaller than it's defined in the rule book, at least up and down. I think this year one of the reasons there are so many strike outs all over baseball is that higher strikes are being called.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
It's only a guess, but I'm thinking that a robotic strike zone following the letter of the rule book would result in fewer walks and lower batting averages. As long as I've been watching baseball, the strike zone seems to be called smaller than it's defined in the rule book, at least up and down. I think this year one of the reasons there are so many strike outs all over baseball is that higher strikes are being called.
I disagree with this, I feel a roobtic strike zone would result in the next 400 hitter fairly quick. A good hitter would adjust quickly to this and thrive. I can see your point too but I don't think it would work out that way.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

If the strike zone was robotic and therefore invariable for each individual hitter, a hitter could look at a thousand pitches on the outside corner from a pitching machine and train himself to know EXACTLY what constitutes a strike and a ball. I agree, I don't think it would be long before the better hitters find their comfort zone. A hitter like Bryce Harper could probably hit .400 with 150 walks.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
If the strike zone was robotic and therefore invariable for each individual hitter, a hitter could look at a thousand pitches on the outside corner from a pitching machine and train himself to know EXACTLY what constitutes a strike and a ball. I agree, I don't think it would be long before the better hitters find their comfort zone. A hitter like Bryce Harper could probably hit .400 with 150 walks.
There is no way to test this hypothesis because a robotic strike zone isn't going to happen. For the sake of argument, though, I believe, though, that if pitchers got the high strikes, as defined in the rule book and the low strikes as defined in the rule book, there would be fewer walks and less offense. Right now hitters are comfortable working with a strike zone is much smaller than it would be. I believe the smaller strike zone, height-wise, has contributed to greater offense. If hitters have to protect up and down in addition to in and out, they won't be able to focus on hitting in a single plane. For years, pitchers have been limited to working in and out. Sometimes they have been able to entice hitters to swing at pitches the were up out of the zone, but many of those pitches up out of the zone would be strikes with a rule-book-robotic strike zone.

The strike zone is supposed to be from the armpits to the bottom of the knees, as a player swings at the pitch, not in his pre-swing stance. There are a lot of good hitters who couldn't put a good arm-pit-high fastball into play with any authority. Factor in the need to protect for lower strikes and simply following the rules in calling balls and strikes changes the dynamics of hitting and makes it more of a pitcher's game.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
WSI Prelate

And now this...

MLB Umpiring Crew Chief Suspended Two Games For Botched Call

Why the **** do these people have jobs? I'm serious. There is absolutely no ****ing excuse for this level of incompetence. I suppose I wouldn't be that upset if there were a better system in place for holding these people accountable, but there isn't. That will never happen as long as the MLB Umpire's Union has as much power as it does.

And guess who's president of that eclectic group?

None other than The Fattest Man on the Planet, Joe West. Who's surprised?

A seventeen-year-old knows the rulebook better than these pieces of ****. Now, there are some extremely bright and knoweldgeable seventeen-year-olds out there, but this is ridiculous. Why the **** does this crap continue? Why? Is Bud Selig that much of a ****ing ***** that he can't (or won't) do something to rectify the situation. I don't expect him to suddenly pull a rabbit out of his hat, but I think MLB umpires should be made to answer for their mistakes, and the public should know about it.

Mike & Mike had a great discussion about this issue earlier today during their radio show. They started the discussion by noting something that all of us on this board are aware of: MLB umpires want to be part of the show, and some of them (West) go out of their way to have the spotlight shine on them (because fans pay to watch Joe West's three-mile-wide fat ass strut around for three hours). They went on to argue that if an umpire wants to be part of the spotlight that he can't have it both ways. He should be prepared to answer questions in front of the media (with cameras rolling) as any professional athlete would.

Apart from the fact that I love Mike & Mike, I think this is a great idea. After all, if umpires want to be part of the show, then they should part of the show for the entire length of its run. Cameo appearances for the sake of throwing a player or manager out of the game aren't allowed, nor are impromptu shouting matches with pitchers because of questionable ball-and-strike calls.

Are you listening, Joe, you maggot mother****er? Huh? I'm talking to you you worthless ********er. Pay attention! Listen! Listen, and maybe learn something for once! Put down your guitar! This isn't a bar in Boston. Pull your bulbous head out of your ass!

How 'bout you, Bud, you no-talent waste of space? Do you have anything at all to say about this latest blunder by your perfect umpires? Are you going to do something about it, or are you going to take another one up the ass? Would you like some more lubricant applied? There's plenty available from the looks of it.

Good gawd, these people make me sick.