White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I love the time of year when people ask for guys who barely belong at AAA to come up to the bigs.
Phegley is knocking on the door to the majors, to say that he "barely belongs at AAA" is pretty foolish.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Whoever plays the position the best should be the starter. But if Phegley can it, I think they can find a spot for him regardless.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 AM
WSI Guru

I haven't seen enough of Phegley to have an opinion.

I know Flowers stinks. I knew that before the year began. I'm stunned Sox brass didn't know it.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I know Flowers stinks. I knew that before the year began. I'm stunned Sox brass didn't know it.
I'm sure the Sox knew they weren't getting an All-Star bat with Tyler, but his defense has been as good as advertised. Kind of hard for me to pin all his offensive failings on him right now, basically everyone on the team is underperforming, might just be the result of a crappy coaching staff.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I agree. Flowers doesn't appear to have anything close to a major league bat. He might be a major league backup catcher, but barely, if that.

The Sox short term future at catcher could well be: (a) Josh Phegley, (b) a free agent signing such as Brian McCann or Jarrod Saltalamachia or (c) both. It would not surprise me if Flowers is not on the Sox roster in 2014, if not sooner.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I agree. Flowers doesn't appear to have anything close to a major league bat. He might be a major league backup catcher, but barely, if that.

The Sox short term future at catcher could well be: (a) Josh Phegley, (b) a free agent signing such as Brian McCann or Jarrod Saltalamachia or (c) both. It would not surprise me if Flowers is not on the Sox roster in 2014, if not sooner.
I'm not sure how much you really gain over Flowers with Salty right now. If that's the option, give me the cheaper option, especially if this goes into a more enthusiastic rebuild.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Hasn't Phegley been a terrible hitter since being drafted outside of this hot month?

Flowers has been disappointing, but he needs more than a month to show whether he belongs or not. This team isn't going anywhere. They might as well audition him.

*edit*
Just looked it up. Yes, he's been pretty awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Ridiculous. Phegley was an All-American in college and is tearing the cover off the ball in AAA. If not for his rare illness that took away 2010 and 2011, he'd probably already be in the majors.
Ehh, he was a huge reach when we drafted him, he was a quick sign pick, that was well known.

Look at his home/road splits. In a month, he is going to regress to his norm. He is a solid defender, he will have a role on a big league team, but to throw out his entire body of work historically (even not looking at the years he was ill), because of a couple good road series is comical.

The potential of Flowers is >>>>>>>>>>>> The potential of Phegley... you have to give him the time as a starter to see what he does over a full year.

What I don't get is how people who clamor for Beckham to stay at 2b for his D will not give Tyler Flowers 1/3 the time Beckham has had, when Flowers is providing equal defense at a more defensive position.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Ehh, he was a huge reach when we drafted him, he was a quick sign pick, that was well known.

Look at his home/road splits. In a month, he is going to regress to his norm. He is a solid defender, he will have a role on a big league team, but to throw out his entire body of work historically (even not looking at the years he was ill), because of a couple good road series is comical.

The potential of Flowers is >>>>>>>>>>>> The potential of Phegley... you have to give him the time as a starter to see what he does over a full year.

What I don't get is how people who clamor for Beckham to stay at 2b for his D will not give Tyler Flowers 1/3 the time Beckham has had, when Flowers is providing equal defense at a more defensive position.
You know why...
Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Hasn't Phegley been a terrible hitter since being drafted outside of this hot month?

Flowers has been disappointing, but he needs more than a month to show whether he belongs or not. This team isn't going anywhere. They might as well audition him.

*edit*
Just looked it up. Yes, he's been pretty awful.
Yes, but you see - 5 weeks of cold Tyler Flowers is enough to call for his head. 5 weeks of a hot AAA catcher is enough to anoint him the starter.

While we're at it, get this "Jim Gallagher" character up here, too! He's hot! Never mind that he's 27 and has stunk it up in AAA prior to these 83 at-bats!

Get Jason Berken in this rotation now! Or at least as a long man! So what if he has stunk it up in the majors - he just needed a change of scenery!

Baseball fans! Ignoring organizational depth guys for decades!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Ridiculous. Phegley was an All-American in college and is tearing the cover off the ball in AAA. If not for his rare illness that took away 2010 and 2011, he'd probably already be in the majors.
I know you've been all about the kid since he was drafted, but I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment. The kid's been nothing but terrible defensively, and his swing is way too flat to ever be effective at creating any sort of power. Unless he changes his approach (not likely at this stage), I don't see him being anything but a backup.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'll just come out and say it... If Phegley wasn't a Hoosier, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The kid's been bad. I know he's faced some real adversity, but he's still only played over 100 games twice. He's 25 and he's having his first hot month after repeating AAA.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
WSI Church Elder

I do not think that the solution at catcher is currently with the organization.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryzner View Post
I do not think that the solution at catcher is currently with the organization.
The thread winner for me.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm sure the Sox knew they weren't getting an All-Star bat with Tyler, but his defense has been as good as advertised. Kind of hard for me to pin all his offensive failings on him right now, basically everyone on the team is underperforming, might just be the result of a crappy coaching staff.
Really? I think he's OK behind the plate, but I don't see other teams shutting down their running game because of Tyler Flowers.

The guy is just a backup catcher, nothing more, nothing less.