White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI Personality

With John Danks hopefully coming back in a couple of weeks, this White Sox pitching staff is good enough to get us into the 2013 playoffs. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the offense. With the Tank and Beckham coming back, we're still short a couple of bats. Maybe we can have a rotating DH and we can bench Dunn. Maybe he'll get tired of sitting on the bench and he will retire. Things like that do occasionally happen. Years ago when the White Sox had the misfortune of trading for The Pizza Man/Scab/ Ron Santo, the White Sox signed him to a 2 year contract. Santo became the first version of Adam Dunn during the 1974 season. He was so bad that the White Sox benched him
the last month of the season. The Scab took the hint and retired with one year left on his contract. Maybe history will repeat itself and Adam Done will retire.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
With John Danks hopefully coming back in a couple of weeks, this White Sox pitching staff is good enough to get us into the 2013 playoffs. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the offense. With the Tank and Beckham coming back, we're still short a couple of bats. Maybe we can have a rotating DH and we can bench Dunn. Maybe he'll get tired of sitting on the bench and he will retire. Things like that do occasionally happen. Years ago when the White Sox had the misfortune of trading for The Pizza Man/Scab/ Ron Santo, the White Sox signed him to a 2 year contract. Santo became the first version of Adam Dunn during the 1974 season. He was so bad that the White Sox benched him
the last month of the season. The Scab took the hint and retired with one year left on his contract. Maybe history will repeat itself and Adam Done will retire.
Adam's a good guy and Santo was.... What's preventing him from a benching is the absence of a clearly better alternative, like a young bat. We're drowning in starting pitching. Bullpen depth is more of a problem than I thought 6 weeks ago or has become one. The 9 guys in the lineup? Ginormous problem. Fire sale caliber problem.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Would like to see Dunn get an injury that would force him to the DL- nothing truly damaging to him as a person- but enough to take the decision out of the hands of Robin and Hahn-its our only hope.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Would like to see Dunn get an injury that would force him to the DL- nothing truly damaging to him as a person- but enough to take the decision out of the hands of Robin and Hahn-its our only hope.
Watch your karma. That's cold blooded.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'd bet that the rest of baseball knows that Dunn's track record still has a relevance. A guy doesn't hit consistent home runs like he has for as long as he has and then just forget how to so suddenly. He is the type of hitter I don't actually like very much but he will hit again I'd bet.... somewhere.

As far as the team goes, I've been waiting for game like last night for a while now. We are not a good hitting team. We only need to be an average hitting team if the pitching holds up. I think it is possible for us to become an average hitting team. Score 3 or 4, hold the other team to less.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
WSI Guru

Dunn isn't going to retire. The Sox owe him over $20 million over the next year and 130 games. Only a fool walks away from that kind of dough.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
I'd bet that the rest of baseball knows that Dunn's track record still has a relevance. A guy doesn't hit consistent home runs like he has for as long as he has and then just forget how to so suddenly. He is the type of hitter I don't actually like very much but he will hit again I'd bet.... somewhere.

As far as the team goes, I've been waiting for game like last night for a while now. We are not a good hitting team. We only need to be an average hitting team if the pitching holds up. I think it is possible for us to become an average hitting team. Score 3 or 4, hold the other team to less.
It's going on three years of some of the worst futility in the history of baseball. I'm not overly excited about the first two months of last year. This is not just a little slump. This is unprecedented. I also think it's dragging the rest of the team down. I hope he rebounds enough so you can throw this back at me some day.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
It's going on three years of some of the worst futility in the history of baseball. I'm not overly excited about the first two months of last year. This is not just a little slump. This is unprecedented. I also think it's dragging the rest of the team down. I hope he rebounds enough so you can throw this back at me some day.

I don't think he is going to rebound in Chicago. He needs to leave Chicago as much as the White Sox need him to leave. Someone is going to lose a lot of money.

I'm not overly excited about anything Dunn has ever achieved. I like guys who work a count (which Dunn can do), can hit to all fields as the situation requires, lay down a bunt when the game is on the line late, and have some of their hard hit balls leave the park almost by accident. Not many of them around these days. Rios is the closest we have.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
There are two major differences between Dunn and free-agent nightmare Jaime Navarro. Well, three if you consider that Navarro was a jerk. Navarro, though, only affected/usually hurt the team every fifth day. Navarro also was thought of highly enough for someone to be traded for a couple of important pieces to a pretty good 2000 White Sox team that led the American League in wins.

There didn't seem to be anyone willing to give Dunn the sort of money the White Sox gave him before his futility. With Dunn, I always believed people were looking at the wrong numbers in the National League records. There is a belief among many that batting average isn't important, that it's on-base percentage you need to look at and strikeouts aren't anything to worry about because they aren't any different than popping out to short.

There are others, and I am among them, who believe that low batting averages, regardless of on-base percentages combined with high strikeout rates are harbingers of bad offensive futures because strikeouts -- not the Babe Ruth or Reggie Jackson or Mickey Mantle numbers that used to be considered high, but the unprecedented Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn numbers of recent years, reflect a vulnerability that can be exploited. (The high number of strikeouts in the White Sox lineup now is especially frustrating, but I digress.) I saw it with Jack Cust, who is less than a year older than Dunn but seems done, not having been in the majors since 2011. I saw it with Nick Swisher when he was finished with the A's, and he reached bottom with the White Sox before changing his approach with the Yankees.

When the White Sox signed Dunn, there were a few that believed he could develop into a strong hitter for average. Your RBI men need to hit for a high batting average. They are the ones who come up most with runners in scoring position, which is when you want high batting averages. If Dunn has made adjustments to American League pitchers, it isn't producing positive results. It isn't a slump. Pitchers have a very good idea of how to get him out and are generally successful.

I would like to see Adam Dunn be a good, strong hitter the way many believed he could, become a different sort of hitter than he has been in the past, but one he has the skills to be. I would like him to recognize how pitchers are getting out and respond the way an opponent in chess or fencing would counter an opponent's move. If he does that, there are teams that would be willing to trade for him. But that also would be the Adam Dunn the White Sox would want to keep.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Nice job on post of the week. This post sucks.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Nice job on post of the week. This post sucks.
Assuming you're serious, so what. He's one of the better posters here. If that post sucks then so be it. I'm sure you've had some clunkers too. I don't blame any Sox fan that wants to tear his or her hair out or put their head through the nearest wall over Adam Dunn.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Assuming you're serious, so what. He's one of the better posters here. If that post sucks then so be it. I'm sure you've had some clunkers too. I don't blame any Sox fan that wants to tear his or her hair out or put their head through the nearest wall over Adam Dunn.
I have had some real clunkers but have never wished injury, even on such notables as leadoff man Dewayne Wise.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I have had some real clunkers but have never wished injury, even on such notables as leadoff man Dewayne Wise.
You're right my bad-
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You're right my bad-
I think I may have wished death upon Ozzie when he had Wise hitting leadoff, though.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I haven't heard this. Tell us more.