White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Pinch hitting Danks for Dunn was long, long, long overdue.
That wasn't what happened.

Danks pinch ran for Dunn in the ninth and actually ran the Sox right out of the inning.

The HR was a redeemer for Jordan, who has two career HRs, both game-winners.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Evidence of mental toughness by Reed?

In any case, I like it.
More than anything, it's evidence of maturity. Reed has a little more experience in his role now. A relief pitcher has to learn how to flush bad outings and bounce back the next day. He retired three tough hitters, too.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Ha! I completely forgot this game was on and remembered just 15 minutes go so I got to tune in for the final few outs of the 9th. Nice to see Reed redeem himself against Butler.

Sounds like all I missed was 3 hours of beating my head against the wall followed by 45 minutes of good times. Since I got the final 5 minutes of those good times I think I came out fine...
Same here. When I did remember, I turned on the tv and Rios was on 1st. When he was caught stealing, I almost turned the set off. But with young Danks batting for Dunn, I to decided wait. Serendipity baby!!!!

In the bottom of the inning, considering Reed's performance yesterday, one couldn't have pounded a toothpick up my rear with a nine pound sledgehammer! But, great job.

Last edited by nsolo; 05-06-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Evidence of mental toughness by Reed?

In any case, I like it.
I do, too. BTW, I am listening to the K.C. postgame show and the fans are upset with Ned Yost bringing in Greg Holland to close the game. The host doesn't see a problem with the move and I agree. The Sox just got to Holland (finally) and, boy, did they ever need that win!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyvsox View Post
No doubt, I have been as negative about this team as any, but there are actually some positives today.

....the team didn't totally give up after the blown HR call like I did
....Alexei picked up Paulie after the GIDPK with a big hit
....Danks redeemed himself with the big GWHR
....Reed bounced right back against the heart of the lineup with a clutch save

Now about DWise base running blunders x 2. It really makes no sense to me to have him playing CF over Danks. We know what Wise can do (or not do). Why not see what Danks can do with regular playing time.

It would also be nice to have a right handed OF to spell DeAza, Danks, and Wise against lefties
Farmio said during the game that Danks had banged into a wall in his last outing. That may explain him not getting any playing time of late, but maybe not...
Old 05-06-2013, 05:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Farmio said during the game that Danks had banged into a wall in his last outing. That may explain him not getting any playing time of late, but maybe not...
Farmio is correct. Danks has been nursing a sore knee.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nice to be on the win column, I was surprised when Danks hit that homer!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
WSI Personality

Default Just Wondering Again

On April 18 I posted a question, what if Jordan Danks is put into the lineup and starts to hit, do we finally bench Adam Done? Was anybody upset to see Danks batting instead of Done in the 10th inning? I not only feel that Done is the worse all around White Sox player in my lifetime, I firmly believe he is the worse cleanup hitter in modern major league history. He had more success in the National League than here. I don't know why he was more successful elsewhere than here. The fact is, he's been a bust here. I never felt and I still don't think this is going to turn out well for the White Sox with Done. All I know is it's going to be tough to swallow his contract, but I learned a long time ago that if something isn't working out, the sooner you make a change, the better off you're going to be.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyvsox View Post
No doubt, I have been as negative about this team as any, but there are actually some positives today.

....the team didn't totally give up after the blown HR call like I did
....Alexei picked up Paulie after the GIDPK with a big hit
....Danks redeemed himself with the big GWHR
....Reed bounced right back against the heart of the lineup with a clutch save

Now about DWise base running blunders x 2. It really makes no sense to me to have him playing CF over Danks. We know what Wise can do (or not do). Why not see what Danks can do with regular playing time.

It would also be nice to have a right handed OF to spell DeAza, Danks, and Wise against lefties
Agreed. I'd like to see the W/L record for when Jordan Danks made an appearance last year and this year. I remember one time last year he had a walk off game winner ( I think it was HR ) and the next day was back at AAA. I think this kid can play, let him. Reminds me of Bill Sharp but better.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
At least Jordan redeemed himself in this game. The baserunning was laughable (understatement). The bullpen was terrific today and they will usually give us a chance.
Offensive frustration can put a team in a position where it will make mistakes trying to do too much, especially if you're playing with the mindset that you're playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Bad baserunning might be why the White Sox didn't go to the World Series in 1983 in that brutal Britt Burns ALCS loss to end the season, so I guess bad baserunning is a White Sox tradition. If Danks had kept coming to the plate once he saw he was too far off third to get back with the ball on the infield, he may have forced a mistake, bad baserunning or not. As it was, he gave the defense a pause to regroup. A runner with a run-scoring mindset of Lance Johnson might have come around to try to score knowing the ball didn't get past the infielders to pressure the defense. When Sammy Sosa was playing for the Sox, he won a game in the bottom of the ninth scoring from second on a ground ball fielded cleanly by the Angels first baseman.

But I half-expected Danks to hit a home run after Rios was caught stealing. Such pitchers in such situations often ease up after a runner is thrown out on the bases. Danks only had one career homer coming into the game, but it was a bottom-of-the-ninth game-ender against the A's last summer, just a few days before he was sent down to make room for Wise, I believe.

As for the bullpen, the Sox would have a winning record this year if the bullpen pitched as well as it did most of the weekend, the exception being the Sunday ninth by Reed. Maybe if the Sox didn't play in so many close games, the bullpen would have a better success rate. In these last six road games in the DFW Metroplex and Kansas City, the bullpen took two losses., the first letting a game get away after Wise tied the game with a homer and the first Reed blown save. The bullpen played a big role in ever loss from the previous homestand. And, yet, it looks like an excellent bullpen and feels like it should be doing much better. Today's save by Reed was the best he has looked on the roadtrip, which is expecially good to see.

The Sox cold have been swept in this series, especially if KC hadn't gone to the closer in the ninth. Maybe Shields was tiring, but he didn't look it. Perhaps if Guthrie had come out in Saturday's ninth, the Sox would have been one Sunday strike away from a sweep. To come out of these six games with a split is a bit frustrating. And they head to New York to face a team that has been just as inconsistent as they have been, opening against a pitcher who has tough against teams with clicking offenses.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
That wasn't what happened.

Danks pinch ran for Dunn in the ninth and actually ran the Sox right out of the inning.

The HR was a redeemer for Jordan, who has two career HRs, both game-winners.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

I'm glad we won, but it's really not much to celebrate. We had to win this game. Almost a third of our wins comes from days Sale pitches. If we don't win this, we might not for the rest of the week.

After winning our first series of the season, we've not won a division series in four chances. Not a surprise we've spent the bulk of the year battling for last.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Banned

Danks > Dunn (but then again I think half the posters here are)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Agreed. I'd like to see the W/L record for when Jordan Danks made an appearance last year and this year. I remember one time last year he had a walk off game winner ( I think it was HR ) and the next day was back at AAA. I think this kid can play, let him. Reminds me of Bill Sharp but better.
2012: Sox were 29-21 in games with Danks appearing; 9-6 as a starter and 20-15 as a late sub (defense or ph/pr). The walk-off HR was against Oakland (he played the whole game).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...01208100.shtml

2013: Sox are 3-4 in games with Danks appearing; 1-3 as a starter and 2-1 as a late sub.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm glad we won, but it's really not much to celebrate.
My philosophy is this. If you're going to bitch when the Sox lose a game that they should have won (i.e., Sunday's game), then you have to be able to enjoy a close victory that they probably should have lost.

If you're bitching yesterday and today, then you need to find another hobby for the good of your health.