White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Jim Thome Lonely Outside of Baseball

Slugger Having Hard Time Adjusting to Not Playing

Reading this made me sad. Thome was a great player and one of the game's good guys. I know that he was hanging around the Sox clubhouse a few days ago. I'm surprised someone hasn't offered him a coaching job. I think he'd be a great hitting instructor, and seems like the type who'd enjoy working with younger players. I hope he can find something to do. He's not likely to play again, but he deserves to have a job in baseball for as long as he wants to.

Good luck, Jim!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Some guys have a very hard time making the adjustment. All your adult life you are worshiped and put on a pedestal then just like that it's over. As Henry Higgins from Goodfellows said, now I'm just another schnook.
That being said, Thome is a class act he will be fine no matter what he decides to do either as a coach or manager or out of the game.
I went golfing one day with a former major leaguer who had not played for 20 years and he wanted to be comped because he once was a major leaguer.
Guy at the desk said "nice to meet you, that will be 90 dollars."

Related story; when I was a desk jockey down in Naples, I comped a former White Sox pitcher and some members who were in the pro shop at the time complained to the head pro about it.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

My daughter is on her high school track team. Before practice on Saturday morning, Jim was running laps on the track. The coach recognized him and asked him to speak to the team. My daughter (a huge Sox fan), said Thome couldn't have been nicer and gave the team a little pep talk. Good guy.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Sounds like he thinks he can still play. When he realizes that his playing career is over, I dont think he will have a problem getting into coaching, if thats what he wants.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Sounds like he thinks he can still play. When he realizes that his playing career is over, I dont think he will have a problem getting into coaching, if thats what he wants.
Well, considering that there are players (including one who shall not be named) who can't play but have jobs on MLB rosters, it's not surprising that Jim thinks there's still a place for him in the batter's box.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
My daughter is on her high school track team. Before practice on Saturday morning, Jim was running laps on the track. The coach recognized him and asked him to speak to the team. My daughter (a huge Sox fan), said Thome couldn't have been nicer and gave the team a little pep talk. Good guy.
That's cool, I bet your daughter was thrilled.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
WSI Prelate

I'd still take him over Adam ****ing Dunn.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I'd still take him over Adam ****ing Dunn.
No kidding.

I can guaranteed he would out produce Adam Dunn right now, and at league minimum salary.

A symbol of how pathetic Kenny's moves the last few years left this team.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 PM
WSI Guru

Maybe Thome will someday manage the Sox.

Not kidding, he's a damn smart guy.

Lip
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Thinking about it, I see him ending his playing career this year with the Sox. I bet the Sox would get a some bus loads of people from Peoria to go to some games. I think Minnie is too old for a comeback so this may be the next best thing.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I found it interesting they're erecting a Thome statue at Progressive Field. I wonder if the fans are going to boo it?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 AM
WSI Personality

All things come to an end, especially with sports. Thomes career as a player is over with. Sure it's sad for him but it happens to every athlete. Jerry Reinsdorf has already said he will find a place in the White Sox organization for him whenever he wants it. Thome has had a wonderful career and will be inducted into the Baseball HOF someday. I would like to think he is set financially also. Everybody should have it so bad.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

He should go into coaching. It's time.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
I found it interesting they're erecting a Thome statue at Progressive Field. I wonder if the fans are going to boo it?
I remember watching Thome's first game back and being embarrassed by the behavior of the Cleveland fans. People forget that Thome didn't want to leave Cleveland. The Indians decided to go in another direction after 2002, so he wasn't re-signed. I suppose it's possible people were angry he ended up playing for a division, but that wasn't his choice, either. The Phillies had Ryan Howard at first base, so there wasn't going to be any room for Thome. They had to move him, and as the Sox weren't sure about Frank Thomas, it made sense for them to find a new DH.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I remember watching Thome's first game back and being embarrassed by the behavior of the Cleveland fans. People forget that Thome didn't want to leave Cleveland.
Exactly. They were classless.

They sure were glad to have him back in 2011, though. The booing stopped. I wonder if it returned when he went to the O's?