White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Hahn didn't let the team get worse.

The team is worse because the hitters aren't hitting.
The hitters aren't hitting because he didn't get better hitters.

Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo are not every day players. Our bench isn't even bench quality. Konerko's been regressing for years. De Aza is a minor league journeyman who's enjoyed one decent season. These are things that the general manager needs to look at and address. Hahn chose to sit on his hands.

He needs to be held accountable.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Maybe we also should blame Hahn for our #3 starter, starting LF, starting 2B and starting 3B all missing time due to injury?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe we also should blame Hahn for our #3 starter, starting LF, starting 2B and starting 3B all missing time due to injury?
If you're referring to Danks, yes I absolutely blame Hahn and everyone that works for him for counting on Danks. The guy has the same injury that ruined the careers of Johan Santana and Rich Harden. Thinking he was gonna rush back and be ready to do something was completely foolhardy. People need to be more angry about this. Either they were dooping you or they believed it and have no idea what they're doing.

If you're talking about Floyd...well, it isn't like the guy doesn't have an injury history. 4 of our starters have an injury history.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The hitters aren't hitting because he didn't get better hitters.

Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo are not every day players. Our bench isn't even bench quality. Konerko's been regressing for years. De Aza is a minor league journeyman who's enjoyed one decent season. These are things that the general manager needs to look at and address. Hahn chose to sit on his hands.

He needs to be held accountable.
I'm OK blaming Hahn for not re-signing AJ.

But give him credit for acquiring Gillaspie, who originally was on the bench but has performed well as the starter.

Paulie has not "been regressing for years." To claim otherwise is BS.

DeAza had a productive 2012; there was no reason to believe he would forget how to hit.

Viciedo had a productive 2012; there was no way to predict he would get hurt.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm OK blaming Hahn for not re-signing AJ.

But give him credit for acquiring Gillaspie, who originally was on the bench but has performed well as the starter.

Paulie has not "been regressing for years." To claim otherwise is BS.

DeAza had a productive 2012; there was no reason to believe he would forget how to hit.

Viciedo had a productive 2012; there was no way to predict he would get hurt.
Frater, I think we're gonna disagree on assessment.

Paulie's been down mostly due to injuries, yes. But injuries are the concern with someone his age.

De Aza has a very long swing. It's caught up to him.

Viciedo did not have a productive 2012. He hit some home runs. Dude had less than a .300 on base average. He might have been the worst every day player in baseball last year.

I do like Gillespie, but I don't think that's enough not to want Hahn gone.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Prelate

And yet despite injuries to Danks and Floyd, Santiago and Axelrod have filled in admirably.

If you rip on Hahn for hitters not hitting (which makes no sense to me), then you should give him credit for pitchers pitching well.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
And yet despite injuries to Danks and Floyd, Santiago and Axelrod have filled in admirably.

If you rip on Hahn for hitters not hitting (which makes no sense to me), then you should give him credit for pitchers pitching well.
I'm not going to give him credit for standing pat on the pitching of a 70 win team. He should have traded Floyd for prospects before the season.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
WSI Prelate

I've been one of the biggest Konerko critics out there, but his late career resurgence has been nothing short of amazing.

He was hitting .400 last season before the wrist injury sapped him of his power for the final four months. It would be accurate to say he regressed for the last four months of 2012, but complete BS to say "he's regressed for years."
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've been one of the biggest Konerko critics out there, but his late career resurgence has been nothing short of amazing.

He was hitting .400 last season before the wrist injury sapped him of his power for the final four months. It would be accurate to say he regressed for the last four months of 2012, but complete BS to say "he's regressed for years."
Konerko OPS

2010 .977
2011 .906
2012 .857
2013 .701

I do agree with you that injuries have caused it. But that's because nagging injuries derail the careers of older players...
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm not going to give him credit for standing pat on the pitching of a 70 win team. He should have traded Floyd for prospects before the season.
Hindsight is 20/20.

If he had dealt Floyd, Hahn would have been roundly criticized for weakening a rotation that also would likely miss Danks for a while, and he likely would not have gotten much in return, either.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hindsight is 20/20.

If he had dealt Floyd, Hahn would have been roundly criticized for weakening a rotation that also would likely miss Danks for a while, and he likely would not have gotten much in return, either.
I'm sure he would have gotten something, especially if we ate salary.

If you remember right, no one wanted to believe Danks wouldn't be ready for the start of the season (so many ridiculous arguments about this). So if Floyd was traded, 99% of people would have said "no problem, Danks is replacing him in the rotation".
WSI Church Elder

I think this thread reached a tipping point when Viciedo was called the least productive player in the Majors last year
WSI Church Elder

I am not ready to call Hahn a bad GM, but it would be nice to see some sort of direction. They sat on their hands in the offseason and just hoped the offense would be good enough with this pitching to contend errrr stay in the race.

If Hahn doesn't move any of the tradeable pieces at this deadline, I am not going to be happy.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Also, Paulie has 10-5 rights. What makes you think he would consent to a trade? And what team would have traded for him, to which he would consent to go? It's all well and good to say "trade someone" in theory, but it's much more complicated than that.

The bottom line is that very few foresaw this level of hitting ineptitude and this number of injuries.

This team's record would be reversed if not for injuries and historically bad hitting.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I think this thread reached a tipping point when Viciedo was called the least productive player in the Majors last year
Most publications chose Francoeur, but Viciedo was routinely one of the five finalists. so yourself