White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
WSI Personality

Default When Beckham Returns..

Who's playing at thrid?

Gillaspie has showed some real promise as the 3B of the future and he should start there until he proves otherwise. I would hate to see him behind Keppinger at third once Gordon comes back. Can we just admit Dunn was a mistake and have him platoon with Keppinger? Makes our team better all around.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Someone else will get hurt. Welcome to 2013.

All hail The Rick
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
WSI Guru

Dump:

Well played sir! (and true...)

Lip
Old 05-03-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Prelate

We can use Keppinger at DH; I assume he can play first too. Let's hope we actually get a little depth.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
WSI Guru

I have noticed Gillaspie struggles against lefties, just as Dunn does.

So, do you platoon Keppinger with Gillaspie or Dunn?

If Beckham is healthy, you know he's going to play. Even if he bats .230, he improves the infield defense exponentially.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I have noticed Gillaspie struggles against lefties, just as Dunn does.

So, do you platoon Keppinger with Gillaspie or Dunn?

If Beckham is healthy, you know he's going to play. Even if he bats .230, he improves the infield defense exponentially.
I hope they do it with Dunn, though I know it won't happen.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Dunn has actually started to hit over the last few weeks. I'd like to let him continue to play pretty regularly and see if he's found something that will allow him to return to more consistency.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Hitting .167 vs. lefties, .351 vs. righties.

Platoon with Koeppinger
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th and Shields View Post
Who's playing at thrid?

Gillaspie has showed some real promise as the 3B of the future and he should start there until he proves otherwise. I would hate to see him behind Keppinger at third once Gordon comes back. Can we just admit Dunn was a mistake and have him platoon with Keppinger? Makes our team better all around.
Gillaspie, I think, will play 3rd against righties the rest of the year. It remains to be seen if the Sox will play Gillaspie against any lefties.

A Keppinger/Gillaspie platoon would work at 3B. And the Sox could spot Keppinger at 1B, 2B and DH, too.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:32 AM
WSI Regular

If you don't play young players like Gilaspie against lefties how can you ever expect them to learn how to hit them. If you keep telling them that they can't hit lefties and that player X will play in their place each time you will eventually ruin their confidence.

See BA for an example - maybe not the very best example I'll admit, but he came into the team as a much vaunted prospect and had his confidence shattered by Ozzie as he was never allowed to settle and grow into his position.

You have to let young players go out and learn their craft, they don't come into the game as All Stars. They will make mistakes and struggle at times but at the end of the day you will hopefully get a player that's worth having.

It's called player development - just about every other ball club understands this.

Sadly we seem to be all about the quick fix. I'm not saying we need to go totally young - I'm saying we need a blend of youth and experience, but we need to give the youth a fair chance to flourish.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots-Sox View Post
If you don't play young players like Gilaspie against lefties how can you ever expect them to learn how to hit them. If you keep telling them that they can't hit lefties and that player X will play in their place each time you will eventually ruin their confidence.

See BA for an example - maybe not the very best example I'll admit, but he came into the team as a much vaunted prospect and had his confidence shattered by Ozzie as he was never allowed to settle and grow into his position.

You have to let young players go out and learn their craft, they don't come into the game as All Stars. They will make mistakes and struggle at times but at the end of the day you will hopefully get a player that's worth having.

It's called player development - just about every other ball club understands this.

Sadly we seem to be all about the quick fix. I'm not saying we need to go totally young - I'm saying we need a blend of youth and experience, but we need to give the youth a fair chance to flourish.
Complete bull****-BA had multiple chances to prove himself as a major league player- sure Ozzie could have handled him better- but he was the starting CF for most of the 1st half of 2006- and had a batting average < .200 and was a strike out machine. Maybe he should have focused more on his profession and less on the "honeys" and the night life. He admitted he wasn't as dedicated as he should have been.

This is Gillaspie's 1st full year in the majors- platooning him in his rookie year would not be unusual as part of developing him- no reason to sit Keppinger against LH's.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots-Sox View Post
I agree.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Keppinger was something of a super-sub previously; I think the Sox would be best served if he did that again when Beckham returns. Let him start at third v LHP, and be the primary backup at 2B, 1B and DH, and let him pinch hit against LHP.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.