White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Down though the years there has been some bad luck starting with Monty Stratton. Pitching hopeful Paul Edmundson killed in a car crash. Pete Ward never the same with a injured neck in a car crash. Carlos May losing part of his thumb with an accident with a mortor with the Marines. Bill Melton falling off a ladder and ruining his back. Crede and his back problems. I'm sure I missed a few but you are right as far as the last 10 years except for Peavy and Danks having lost some major playing time.
Wilbur Wood if not for the shattered knee cap, he might have pitched till he was 50.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
When it rains, it pours.
Not much going our way this year.
Yup, this is turning into an episode of MASH*.. No worries though.. The way this division shuffles, 4.5 back in early May is no biggie. 10 games out, Shine up the clubs, break out the fishing gear, and plan a summer of yard beautification on the homestead .Get this comedy of errors out of the system early. Rather see them have a chance to right the ship now, than see this implosion the last month of the season..

Hey, we're Sox fans. Its not as though we havent seen any more bizzare things happen to the team in the past. This is just another one of those, "I thought I saw everything, but I guess not".

Bottom line is 30 years ago they won UGLY... I thing 2013's motto is gonna be 'Winning Uglier" when all is said and done.

BK59
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Wilbur Wood if not for the shattered knee cap, he might have pitched till he was 50.
Good one Noneck, I knew I would miss a few.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-02-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
WSI Personality

If this season starts to unravel, we'll need a healthy Jake Peavy as he's one of the few veterans that might bring back some decent prospects in a trade. Stints on the DL, missed starts, etc., will hurt his value.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
If this season starts to unravel, we'll need a healthy Jake Peavy as he's one of the few veterans that might bring back some decent prospects in a trade. Stints on the DL, missed starts, etc., will hurt his value.
"This," as the kids say. The season is all about trading our good pieces and expiring contracts for value, if the Sox are indeed even capable of that.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wow. I thought I was pessimistic.

This place should be entertaining the rest of the season.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Wow. I thought I was pessimistic.

This place should be entertaining the rest of the season.
Stick around. The despair and anguish is just getting warmed up.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
Stick around. The despair and anguish is just getting warmed up.
I have zero despair or anguish, much like last year. I mean, it hurts to watch losses, but the team just doesn't have it, so really, my feeling is more indifference and tempered hope for the immediate future.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

I was really looking forward to seeing Peavy pitch to Pierzynski.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 PM
WSI Guru

While acknowledging the Sox have lost the fewest players to the DL in the last 10 years as I've mentioned before that doesn't mean they've been immune.

Remember 2001? (Six pitchers coming off surgery from 2000, not ready for the season or forced to work while not ready. The staff was basically done before the season started. Only 'good news' Buehrle was moved into the rotation in spring training because Manager Ghandi didn't have enough healthy arms.)

Remember 2004? (Thomas and Ordonez missed the back half of the season with serious injuries)

Remember 2007? (Not saying that team was going to be good, but it didn't help when they had position starters lost for lenghty appearances)

How about the stretch drive of 2010? (Seemingly every guy in the bullpen went down - Thornton, Putz, and I can't remember the other guys)

Last year they lost Danks, Floyd (twice), Humber...who else am I missing?

I realize the Sox overall have done better than other teams but because of the lack of depth in the system and the lack of a decent bench, when they get injuries they can't overcome them.

The Cardinals keep getting hammered by injuries yet somehow they keep winning divisions and getting to the playoffs.

The Yankees have seemingly half their guys on the DL, somehow they are 17-10. When those guys get back, watch out.

That's all I'm saying, so don't over react folks. Many of you have said the same thing about the Sox lack of depth. This is turning out to be one of those years (again).

Thank you.

Lip
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM
WSI Guru

Nell:

You missed some:

Sherm Lollar in 57 (broken hand) which Billy Pierce told me probably cost the Sox the pennant.

Dick Donovan's appendectimy (sorry about the spelling) when he was leading the league in wins and ERA probably cost the Sox the pennant in 55. They were in first place at the time in late July. He was lost for six weeks, came back and was ineffective.

Joe Cunningham's freak injury in Los Angeles (broken collarbone) with the Sox in first place in June 63. He missed over a month Tommy McCraw wasn't the answer. And Johnny Buzhardt, off to a 9-2 start with a mid 2's ERA lost for the last half of the year (shoulder issues). Those two probably cost the Sox a pennant in 63.

Bill Melton falling off his roof in the winter of 71 (herniated disc), he went on the DL for the season in late June 72. The A.L. home run champ wasn't around to hit behind Allen and May. Chuck Tanner told me if Melton is healthy the Sox win the division in 72 and Oakland's dynasty never happens.

Then you've got Dick's freak injury in Anaheim in June 73 although that was just one of 38 times the Sox used the DL. He was lost for the year. Coupled with the mass of injuries and G.M. Stu Holcolmb's stupidity (release guys who were playing out their contracts, not taking the Sox offer) that doomed the club after a brilliant first two months.

That's why I say "typical" White Sox luck.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-02-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Nell:

You missed some:

Sherm Lollar in 57 (broken hand) which Billy Pierce told me probably cost the Sox the pennant.

Dick Donovan's appendectimy (sorry about the spelling) when he was leading the league in wins and ERA probably cost the Sox the pennant in 55. They were in first place at the time in late July. He was lost for six weeks, came back and was ineffective.

Joe Cunningham's freak injury in Los Angeles (broken collarbone) with the Sox in first place in June 63. He missed over a month Tommy McCraw wasn't the answer. And Johnny Buzhardt, off to a 9-2 start with a mid 2's ERA lost for the last half of the year (shoulder issues). Those two probably cost the Sox a pennant in 63.
Bill Melton falling off his roof in the winter of 71 (herniated disc), he went on the DL for the season in late June 72. The A.L. home run champ wasn't around to hit behind Allen and May. Chuck Tanner told me if Melton is healthy the Sox win the division in 72 and Oakland's dynasty never happens.

Then you've got Dick's freak injury in Anaheim in June 73 although that was just one of 38 times the Sox used the DL. He was lost for the year. Coupled with the mass of injuries and G.M. Stu Holcolmb's stupidity (release guys who were playing out their contracts, not taking the Sox offer) that doomed the club after a brilliant first two months.

That's why I say "typical" White Sox luck.

Lip
I said I probably missed a few but I did have Melton on my list.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Down though the years there has been some bad luck starting with Monty Stratton. Pitching hopeful Paul Edmonson killed in a car crash. Pete Ward never the same with a injured neck in a car crash. Carlos May losing part of his thumb with an accident with a mortor with the Marines. Bill Melton falling off a ladder and ruining his back. Crede and his back problems. I'm sure I missed a few but you are right as far as the last 10 years except for Peavy and Danks having lost some major playing time.
Doub's point still holds true. Hell, there is 30 year gap in the examples you just mentioned between Melton falling (thought it was his roof) and Crede's back. The Sox have been a healthy franchise since Herm arrived.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Doub's point still holds true. Hell, there is 30 year gap in the examples you just mentioned between Melton falling (thought it was his roof) and Crede's back. The Sox have been a healthy franchise since Herm arrived.
I agreed with Doub, but I also agreed with Lip that the franchise through the years has had some very bad luck with some pretty serious injuries. With Melton IIRC he fell off the ladder coming down from the roof.

EDIT: Here is the lowdown on the injury.... http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/706129602/

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 05-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM
WSI High Priest

John Snyder, now forgotten, beat Pedro Martinez twice, hurt his arm, and fell off the face of the earth.