White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 AM
WSI Guru

Default The Dreaded M-word...

Both the Sun Times and Tribune web sites have big stories on Ricketts and his comments / threats that if the Cubs don't get approval to make the changes to Wrigley, in particular the signage / new scoreboard options he'll have to consider "moving."

At this point it sounds a lot like the talk coming from JR and EE back in the mid 80's but you never know.

Ricketts claims the Cubs can't function nor be competititve without the millions of dollars in income the advertising would bring in.

Of course most fans (both of the Sox and Cub fans themselves) think the Cubs haven't been functioning for over 100 years. LOL.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-01-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

I think Ricketts should be able to make the improvements he wishes. I do laugh at the "move" talk. No one is dumb enough to move that team.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI Prelate

If the Cubs moved to Rosemont, their attendance might actually be tied to on-the-field success. Imagine that!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM
MMXXIII

As a Sox fan who lives adjacent to the Wrigleyville area, I fully encourage the Cubs to move to the burbs as it not only would be a historically short-sighted decision, but would also get them out of my back yard. Win-win!!!

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI Prelate

The difference between this situation and the situation the White Sox were in back in the late 1980s was that Tampa was at least a viable alternative for the White Sox, it's not like the White Sox were getting 30k a night back in 1988 when they were pushing for a new ballpark. The Cubs, on the other hand, are drawing well and if they moved they would draw flies. I think just about everyone with a brain knows this and can pretty easily call the Cubs bluff.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Related: more conceptual drawings of the changes, including the left field sign:

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune...s-cubs-photos/
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Wait, I thought they announced a deal with the city a few weeks ago? Did that fall through?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Please, he's not that stupid to move the team. I wish the city would just call them on their bluff and tell them to go ahead.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM
WSI Guru

Roman:

As I understand it, it was a tentative agreement provided certain provisions would be approved by the city council, the historical site board ect. Then they still have the rooftop owners threatened lawsuit. Some of the city council members have objections to the plan based on some feedback they are getting from the voters in their wards.

Sounds like a real mess doesn't it?

Lip
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
WSI High Priest

This is just posturing to squeeze all he can out of the rooftop people.

Go ahead, move. They'd be back to Lee Elia era crowds if it weren't for Wrigley.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think all of the changes are great, especially the video board in left field. The Red Sox have shown that you can have an updated old stadium.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
WSI Personality

Default Moving

I think if the bad guys on the Northside moved to Rosemont, the franchise would still be a goldmine. I would assume they would build a nice modern stadium with alot of parking. My only concern about Rosemont would be the stadium site is not close to the River Road Blue line station. They would have to do something about public transportation there in Rosemont. Other than that, I would move the team to Rosemont as long as Rosemont is still giving the land for free for the stadium. Spending upwards of $300 million on rehabbing a dump like Wrigley Field is just crazy. I read an article about the Boston Red Sox a few months ago where one of the team executives said if they had to do it all over again, they would of built a new stadium instead of rehabbing Fenway Park like they did.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I think if the bad guys on the Northside moved to Rosemont, the franchise would still be a goldmine. I would assume they would build a nice modern stadium with alot of parking. My only concern about Rosemont would be the stadium site is not close to the River Road Blue line station. They would have to do something about public transportation there in Rosemont. Other than that, I would move the team to Rosemont as long as Rosemont is still giving the land for free for the stadium. Spending upwards of $300 million on rehabbing a dump like Wrigley Field is just crazy. I read an article about the Boston Red Sox a few months ago where one of the team executives said if they had to do it all over again, they would of built a new stadium instead of rehabbing Fenway Park like they did.
The Cubs would love to build a new stadium. They just don't want it to be anywhere but where it is. They will never move, even if they go back and tell them they can't have anything.

I also get a kick out of them now saying the reason they haven't won in over 100 years is because they haven't had the revenues needed to win.

Some are actually buying all of it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
No one can be that dumb to put a stadium by one of the busiest airports in the world. Have you ever sat outside in Rosemont for 15 minutes? The noise alone would send people out of that stadium. What would be unbelievably awesomely funny would be if the cubs moved to Rosemont and then Chicago went and found a way to "claim" the land around they were on as Chicago like they did with O'Hare.

Edit: I just looked at that scoreboard in left, can you imagine how many bugs will be in the left field bleachers?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
Please, he's not that stupid to move the team. I wish the city would just call them on their bluff and tell them to go ahead.
Mesa was afraid to and are choking on a 99 million stadium. The A's are moving into the one that the Cubs found unsuitable. ASU was supposed to share the new one but was bullied out by the Cubs. Locals are real pleased with that one.
I assume they are putting in lots of parking to accomodate fans. lol