White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The team being fielded right now, with all of the injuries and old players is the worst Sox team I've seen since the 1987-1989 teams.

It's sucks but it's the nature of pro sports. The build up, the success and then the slow decline.

We're in the decline and could be here for a couple of years.
I'm going to go back to 68,69 and 70 seasons as the most depressing years for me, there is nothing right now that excites me about the future of this club.
and I'm getting depressed to the point of those years I mentioned. The current roster has a lot of bad players and there is no help in the minors so things could get a lot worse before they get better.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Is there a correlation between defensive performance in year x and defensive performance in year x+1? There might not be.
There is: R=0.6358. There's plenty of variability, but statistically this shouldn't be happening.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Well, assuming Hahn has total control over personnel choices, he has to clean up the mess left behind by Kenny and that wasn't going to happen overnight or during one off season. If Kenny still has a lot of say in personnel moves though, the White Sox might be in a LOT trouble.
Hahn was also part of Kenny's management team that brought us this mess over the last 5 years. I'm doubtful there's going to be a change in how the organization builds this team. Maybe the biggest change we'll see is less of KW's "gun slinging" way of running the team, but it's still essentially the same management team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The team being fielded right now, with all of the injuries and old players is the worst Sox team I've seen since the 1987-1989 teams.

It's sucks but it's the nature of pro sports. The build up, the success and then the slow decline.

We're in the decline and could be here for a couple of years.
At least in 1989, even though the Sox were on their way to a last place finish, they had a ton of promising prospects. I actually found that year a little exciting because it looked to me like a good solid nucleus was about to arrive in a year or two. I have absolutely no indication of that now. I suppose Hawkins is someone who could maybe be a star for us in 3 years or so, and it sounds like there are a few pitching prospects who could turn out to be decent. But it doesn't appear that there is a new core of competitive talent coming any time soon.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI Prelate

If it weren't for the starting pitching, this team would rival the 1970 Sox for the worst team in my lifetime.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
If it weren't for the starting pitching, this team would rival the 1970 Sox for the worst team in my lifetime.
Remember the good ol days when we waited til at least June to make these kind of definitive statements? My god, some of you guys need a hug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurr View Post
Yeah, this team is bad.
Let us hope that Hahn knows how to leverage veterans into good prospects.

Consider it a "Reverse Williams Maneuver".
I really hope so. When was the last time the Sox successfully traded a veteran player for a prospect that ever did anything? We might have to go back to Danks and Floyd (in 2007) for that.

Since then, we traded Edwin Jackson away for failed or failing prospects, we traded Nick Swisher for garbage, we traded Quentin for Simon Castro and I don't know if he's expected to pan out. The track record has been pretty abysmal. ....and if Hahn was part of the decision making team on KW's recent trades, I'm not looking forward to seeing what new bag of balls we get for our current veterans.