White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI High Priest

I'd give him a look just cuz his name is Casper.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Another earth shattering pickup. It feels like this franchise right now is being run on a shoestring and is wandering around like nomads in the desert, a return to the days of Bill Veeck.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Another earth shattering pickup. It feels like this franchise right now is being run on a shoestring and is wandering around like nomads in the desert, a return to the days of Bill Veeck.
You're not being serious, I hope
Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You're not being serious, I hope
If I was a nomad wandering around in the desert I'd want someone named Casper guiding me.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Who?????

I think I'd rather have Casper the friendly ghost. He probably hits better.
He's a hell of a ghost runner.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
As soon as he goes 2-for-4 in a game, a segment of WSI will be calling for him to hit cleanup.
Comparison of Casper's numbers to Dunn's numbers with the Sox outside of the first two months of last year would indicate the suggestion might be reasonable. Of course, the same could be said of a lot of players who would never appear in the cleanup spot.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
He's a hell of a ghost runner.
I would think the kids will get a lot of autographs from him, he must be the friendly sort.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Likewise. Name some worse. I'm all ears.

Name the MLB players with over 1000 at bats currently hitting worse than .095 with career obp of below .261.

Maybe people like him because he hacks at it Ozzie-style, he's chicago tough, or he has TWTW.
But at some point, stark reality must be faced: .095 and .261
Hell for all the crap Dunn takes, his OPS is nearly 400 points higher.

Nice cherry-picking of stats. By the way, my previous post is not meant to taken that I think Wise is a good player. There is a good reason why he is a journeyman. I was only commenting on the fact that you think he is the worst player in MLB, which he isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
.095 is in 22 at bats, dude.

I'm not saying I'm keen on Dewayne Wise or care if he stays or goes, but if you're bringing up a bench player's batting average in April, that's a pretty clear indication you don't know what you're talking about.
You beat me to it. Also, you are right: This is Caspar Wells, folks.

I can only assume that had Mike Trout been available, Hahn would have pursued him instead, just in case anyone is wondering why he didn't.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

"Stone Pony.........let me tell y'all this right now..........in my seven decades of bein' involved in this game.......I've never seen so much potential that I see in Casper Wells since I first saw Julio Ramirez......now I'm not sayin' Wells is gonna make anybody forget about Ted Williams - although he just might.......but this man has all the tools to be great if he realizes his full potential........Mercy this is one nice pick up."
Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wells is OK and I see no problem giving him a chance right now. It's not like the 2013 Sox are exactly the 1962 Giants with an outfield of Harvey Kuenn, Willie Mays and Felipe Alou with Willie McCovey coming off the bench to play LF and 1B as well as the other Alou brothers, Matty and Jesus.

With the Tank injured and De Aza struggling, the Sox have Alex Rios as a productive outfielder and that's about it. I don;t see any downside in playing Wells, particularly against lefties.

But this transaction is a minor one. That may not stop Phil Rogers from complaining about it after the fact if it doesn't work out. In this article, for example, he bemoans the Francisco Liriano trade last year. Really? The Sox are in first place in late August and early September and this guy has a problem with the club adding some pitching depth. Eduardo Escobar is a back up infielder and Pedro Hernandez is a starting pitcher who doesn't strike anybody out. Look at his stats this year. He is averaging 4.1 K's per 9 innings. A starter in the big leagues cannot last very long with that few K's, even if he is left handed.

Rogers does nit pick the Sox deals, even minor ones where they don't give up players who are really nothing more than reserves. Wasn't it Rogers who was convinced that John Ely was a star in the making?

I would like to see this guy nitpick some of the Cubs' bad deals. You remember those, like giving away Angel Pagan and Josh Hamilton for nothing.