White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

15 of next 18 on the road? I see only 5 wins. I have no confidence in any hitter on this team.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Looking to buy a new Sox T-shirt. I was trying to decide which player's shirt to buy. After today, my decision became simple--NONE.

This team is embarrassing!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
When you think about it folks this was pretty much a typical Sox performance this season:

Three lousy runs...
Six lousy hits...
Two costly errors...
12 more strikeouts...

Frankly I was shocked the Sox actually got three runs off Price considering they ran out a triple A lineup.

It is what it is and probably won't get much better even if the injured guys make quick recoveries.

Lip
Typical if you ignore the fact that Axelrod was even with Pirce after six. Price is a superior pitcher. He came into the game with an ERA infated by two rough games, particularly a 13-0 loss to the Indians in his second start, but he was the more skilled starter in today's game.

This was a game the Sox could have won and probably should have won, even with the score tied after six. Every loss but Saturday's on this homestand was lost by the bullpen, a couple with the help of defensive lapses. And the bullpen played a factor in Saturday's loss.

I think the game turned, no twith the game-tying home run against Axelrod, but with the line-drive double play. The Sox seemed to be getting to Price, who may have been in the game too long because he wanted to get his first win, which he couldn't get if he left with the score tied. If Flowers gets the ball though the infield, the Sox have a very good chance of at least pushing across a run. That woudl have been a different ballgame. I don't know if Ventura tries to get another inning out of Jones

If the Sox had the lead. If the game is tied late, you don't want to burn too many pitchers, and I can see how it's tempting to leave Jones in for another inning. He has such great stuff. Unfortunately, he is often behind in the count. While his stuff is good enough to pitch from behind in the count he isn't as effective after he puts runners on basse. I don't know if he tires after one inning, necesarily, althogh a couple of times this year he has had bad second innngs. It might be that he stiffens up on the bench or he loses his rhythm.

The game was still winnable when Thornton got Loney, but the error let it get away, reminiscent of a Rays win with Juan Pierre dropping a fly iin left a couple of Aprils ago. All hope seemed lost when Rios finished a brutal inning by grouning into the double play. Ventura putting in the pitcher who just got into town for the ninth to give up two more tells me he is concerned about overworking his bullpen.

Really, I think the Sox have a pretty good bullpen, but this weekend, this homestand doesn't back that up.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Ventura just has this habit of leaving these reliever in too long. Two days in a row 1 reliever essentially pitched us out of a game.

I don't Ventura has the stomach for what this season looks like it's going to be.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Floyd's value is zero right now, Konerko will get hot in June then the phone will start ringing. Rios and Peavy are the only movable pieces right now.
And Sale. I realize we don't want to move him, but you have to listen.

Peavy should bring high value. Somebody will pay it. Rios - pretty decent, as RH hitters are in demand. No special deals for friendly teams....they all can pay. Let the bidding begin.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
And Sale. I realize we don't want to move him, but you have to listen.
If they move Sale there would be MASSIVE revolt from Sox fans. Too young, too much potential. It may not pan out (looking at you Gordon Beckham) but you can't move him now.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I know Hahn said "let's wait and see" in regards to a firesale but you really have to wonder if we need to move now before things gets worse. Floyd's value is already diminished. What if Peavy or Rios gets hurt? We are lucky enough to have a few guys that other teams might want so I hope we are least testing the waters.
The maximum value in a trade would be obtained in a deal right before the deadline. With the extra wild card in play, it is entirely too early for any team to know where they stand. You are going to give Peavy away if you try to trade him now.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
WSI Regular

Lip

No possible way you could have any other impression. Back up the truck!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
Lip

No possible way you could have any other impression. Back up the truck!
Why in the world would you want to trade Peavy,Sale, or any of other young players under contracts. Do you want to turn this team into the Astros. Sure they need to improve ;and but dumping all there good young players isn't the answer. Unfortunately it's going to take time to develop more good young players. Free agency isn't the way to go just ask Toronto or the Angels. Williams did a great job in 2005the but in doing so he decemated the farm system. I just hope Hahn will set things right.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM
WSI Guru

RC:

Brewski was commenting on Robin's comment. I was wondering what he meant by it and speculated that Robin could be preparing everyone for a fire sale.

You have to think this at least has already been discussed by Hahn and his staff.

They see what's happening just as much as the players themselves and the fans.

Why do it? Well if you are going to try to rebuild I assume you can get more by trading younger players under contract for a few years. But those that follow the minor leagues more closely can weigh in if that's true or not.

Lip
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
RC:

Brewski was commenting on Robin's comment. I was wondering what he meant by it and speculated that Robin could be preparing everyone for a fire sale.

You have to think this at least has already been discussed by Hahn and his staff.

They see what's happening just as much as the players themselves and the fans.

Why do it? Well if you are going to try to rebuild I assume you can get more by trading younger players under contract for a few years. But those that follow the minor leagues more closely can weigh in if that's true or not.

Lip
I would build around Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Jones, Reed and maybe Beckham and Viciedo. I'd love to see PK finish his career in a Sox uni, everybody else can go.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 04-28-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
After Jones pitched an easy seventh inning, he struggled with his control in the eighth and Robin left him in two batters too long. Thornton was ready in the pen but he left Jones in to face Joyce and Zobrist who got the big hit.
Three batters too long. Jones faced Joyce, Zobrist AND Longoria. He retired none of them. Thornton should have been in to face Joyce and Zobrist. Then, if the inning is still going, you go to Crain for Longoria. It wasn't all Robin's fault. That was boneheaded managing, but damn, the players didn't execute worth a **** either.

I'd also like to note that there isn't going to be any "firesale" until at least July. Be careful what you wish for, folks. I know it's bad right now, but yes, it can get worse. Remember, every player who gets traded needs to be replaced by *somebody*. I don't want to hear any "Just play the kids" ****. We don't have any kids to play.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM
WSI Personality

Default The Present

This team is not the same team we had on Opening Day. We're minus Beckham, Tank and this past weekend Keppinger. That's three everyday players the White Sox were counting on heavily in 2013. I'm hoping Keppinger is back this Tuesday. He was starting to hit and he got hurt. This eight game road trip can be a diffucult one. I hope we get out of it with at least 4 wins. I'm also hoping Hahn makes a move to improve this team offensively, sooner rather than later.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'd also like to note that there isn't going to be any "firesale" until at least July. Be careful what you wish for, folks. I know it's bad right now, but yes, it can get worse. Remember, every player who gets traded needs to be replaced by *somebody*. I don't want to hear any "Just play the kids" ****. We don't have any kids to play.

I just think that if an injury pops up for another team in which they have a need that we could supply why not get going with it? I fear any value guy we have will be worth nothing by the time July rolls around. We are simply spinning our wheels and we are already playing Greene, Gillaspie, Flowers, and Danks. Our lineup is not major league quality as is. Yes it can get worse but this is not working. Beckham and Tank will certainly help when they return but it might be too late by then if we continue to not win series.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I would build around Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Jones, Reed and maybe Beckham and Viciedo. I'd love to see PK finish his career in a Sox uni, everybody else can go.
PK can go and still get resigned in the winter.

I like that list minus Beckham plus Alexei.