White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
Yup he is a 4th starter, that's what 4th starters do.
The problem with that is that on a team with limited financial flexibility, you are paying someone nearly 10 million dollars to be "just a 4th starter" or have "two good games, three bad ones.."

It's not that the fans don't know what to expect from Gavin; it's just difficult not to express frustration with how this organization has chosen to allocate funds.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

Whether the Sox would have come back in a close game isn't certain. The Rays were trying to get innings out of their B relievers tonight. It was still good to see the tying run come up in eighth after all that had gone wrong tonight. If the bullpen hadn't allowed so many bad things to happen, this loss would have been downright frustrating with the Sox twice leaving the bases loaded.
Ventura essentially punted the game when he wouldn't get Santiago out of there. He tends to do that sometime - let pitchers pitch us completely out of the game. Maybe he didn't have much choice tonight, but, as you said, the Rays were using their B relievers, as were we.

It's one thing to lecture fans about Floyd being a 4th starter. The Sox don't think he is, as per the salary they pay him...that's the problem.

Fire Sale - just keep Peavy healthy and, honestly, maybe even Sale. And negotiate. No give aways.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Never anything good to come out of an injury but apparently we have a guy in Double AA- (Think it's Erik Johnson?) who has some pretty impressive numbers. Under 2 ERA, 25 strikeouts, 5 walks. Be interesting to see if he gets the callup.
I will just point out that now is not the time to rush prospects, if that's what we would be doing.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Lip is right; every third year since 2001 seems to get detailed by injuries.

A dose of realism for the chicken littles: With his contract up after this season and his inconsistency, even a healthy Floyd was never going to bring much more than a B prospect in return.

If the season is going to go down the drain due to injuries, better that it happens now, before we get emotionally invested.

I had planned to watch Sunday's game on WGN, but I'd rather go to Costco.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Maybe if Floyd hadn't gone down, the game would have turned out differently. The chance the Sox had was keeping the game close, wearing Moore down and getting to the bullpen. As it was, Moore left with a higher ERA than he came in with.
1. Yes, the game would have turned out differently. The Rays would have had all 10 runs in the first four innings.

2. It is not hard to leave with a higher ERA when you came in with a 1.04 or whatever it was. 1 run in 8 innings would raise that ERA. Not exactly a bright spot to point out.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Let me sum up this lineup:

De Aza - last year was a fluke. This is what he really was
Keppinger - Nice buy off a career year he'd never repeat. Guy is a bench player/super UT guy, not an everyday starter
Rios - our best player (sigh)
Dunn - yeah
Konerko - let's hope he gets hot so the Sox can get something for him come July
Ramirez - ambivalent
Flowers - see Dunn
Gillaspie - a nice surprise, but also not an everyday guy
Viciedo - see Flowers, Dunn, but a little better than them
The rotating replacement for Viciedo - they all stink
Beckham - what you see is what you get

This team will not do anything spectacular and, more annoyingly, was not in any way set up to do so. There is no plan here. The future is dismal. Konerko, Peavy, and Rios, at the least, should be moved in July. I would add Dunn, but he's an albatross, even at only $12 mil. I would add Floyd, but don't expect anything significant in return. Lindstrom may end up having value to someone, too.

And for those who say, "Well, then don't watch the games," I'm already not.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Gavin Floyd placed on the 15-day DL

Ventura said that Santiago would move into Floyd's rotation spot, with right-handed reliever Deunte Heath being called up from Triple-A Charlotte.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
The stat I think I would be worried about if I ran the White Sox right now is 12 posts on WSI the morning after losing a Saturday night home game following a 3 game winning streak.
Well, the "dark clouds" won. This site is so negative that I don't even bother posting in the clubhouse anymore. Most of the posters just try to one up each other with melodramatic garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Ventura said that Santiago would move into Floyd's rotation spot, with right-handed reliever Deunte Heath being called up from Triple-A Charlotte.
That's less than exciting
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I watch this club and wonder how many of the position players will have roster spots on a major league team in a couple years. Not many.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Well, the "dark clouds" won. This site is so negative that I don't even bother posting in the clubhouse anymore. Most of the posters just try to one up each other with melodramatic garbage.
The dark clouds block out the view of the pie in the sky? Undeserved optimism is every bit as annoying as overly dramatic pessimism. The dark clouds didn't win, they just happen to be right.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksBrokenFoot View Post
The dark clouds block out the view of the pie in the sky? Undeserved optimism is every bit as annoying as overly dramatic pessimism. The dark clouds didn't win, they just happen to be right.
If the Sox's record was reversed and the optimists were being loud and proud, many if the dark clouds would point out that it is only April 28.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Let me sum up this lineup:

De Aza - last year was a fluke. This is what he really was
Keppinger - Nice buy off a career year he'd never repeat. Guy is a bench player/super UT guy, not an everyday starter
Rios - our best player (sigh)
Dunn - yeah
Konerko - let's hope he gets hot so the Sox can get something for him come July
Ramirez - ambivalent
Flowers - see Dunn
Gillaspie - a nice surprise, but also not an everyday guy
Viciedo - see Flowers, Dunn, but a little better than them
The rotating replacement for Viciedo - they all stink
Beckham - what you see is what you get

This team will not do anything spectacular and, more annoyingly, was not in any way set up to do so. There is no plan here. The future is dismal. Konerko, Peavy, and Rios, at the least, should be moved in July. I would add Dunn, but he's an albatross, even at only $12 mil. I would add Floyd, but don't expect anything significant in return. Lindstrom may end up having value to someone, too.

And for those who say, "Well, then don't watch the games," I'm already not.
Very depressing but true.
We could see a rebuild of Cub proportions except people will still come to the Urinal while USCF might become a ghost town.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Amazing that the Sox were able to bring the tying run to the plate in the 8th inning.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

I attended my first game last night and saw a lackluster effort. The whole team walked/barely jogged on and off the field. There were many bad throws whether it was Ramirez's error or numerous throws from the outfield, even on routine throws back to the infield. De Aza was most guilty of this, and his head down, moping act is the opposite of you want from a leadoff hitter. Greene, of all people, exuded a too-cool-for-the-room attitude. This year, the team has TERRIBLE body language. Some kind of move needs to be made to jolt this club into giving a full effort. This reflects badly on Ventura.

Floyd's injury is a blessing in disguise at this point (beyond him being healthy to get something for him in trade). He's been the most disappointing player on the team. He hasn't even been medicore. He's just bad. Whatever you think of Santiago, he's a much better option than Floyd at this point.

Speaking of Santiago, he warmed up in the strangest way I've ever seen from a pitcher who entered the game in a pinch because of injury. By his third or fourth warmup pitch, he was throwing very hard. It was like he thought he was on a time limit. Very, very odd. Perhaps the super-quick way he warmed up was responsible for his underwhelming performance that followed.

I had good seats 10 rows above the Sox dugout. From there, you could clearly see that Flowers has a bit of a hitch in his approach to the ball that causes his load to drag. The guy sitting next to me said the same thing. We had the same view angle that the coaches have in the dugout. Very surprised that this hasn't been removed from his swing by now. I don't see how he has any chance to succeed consistently with it.

Could this be Konerko's last season in the big leagues?

As I was watching the game last night, I found myself thinking how much of a shame it is that we're wasting the talent and performance of Rios and Peavy. They should be leading us to victory. Instead, they'll likely be part of a fire sale in a couple months.

I'd add that the Sox have created a weird atmosphere in the park. The two bad pregame videos have already been talked about him a lot so I won't get into that outside of saying they they need to be permanently removed (and the person/people responsible for them need to answer for really bad judgement). What was striking, though, was the odd way music was used. All the little music cuts were just incessant throughout the game, regardless of the situation. Some were just horribly out of place and inappropriate. It smacked of a minor league game meets Bozo's Circus. For some reason and despite all their surveys, the Sox seem to be rapidly losing their way in how to present a ballgame.