White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Again, this would be terrible regardless, but the fact that the Sox are embracing it as such a listless team thus far in 2013 is just inexcusable and boneheaded.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I sure don't miss the racially tinged "Rios and Dunn are awful, but at least Dunn tries!" comments from 2011...
Huh, what?

If I see a guy not running out a ball to first base or dropping easy flyballs in rightfield because he refused to pull his sunglasses off his hat, I am probably going to call him on it. Has nothing to do with his skin color. I would say the same thing about Adam Dunn in 2011, but since he struck out about 50% of the time he came to the plate, "running balls out" was not really an issue.

Tread carefully on those kind of statements.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
I think some of you need to lighten up. Hawk is costing the White Sox fans?
I don't have any doubt about that. I sometimes don't watch games because I don't want to listen to Hawk ramble on. And I like the Sox. I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who doesn't care about the team.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't have any doubt about that. I sometimes don't watch games because I don't want to listen to Hawk ramble on. And I like the Sox. I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who doesn't care about the team.
Bingo.One of the reasons I go to as many games as I do is because it means I can watch the Sox without having to deal with either of the broadcast booths. And now especially since I have mlb.tv I find myself flipping to other games from the Sox game way more frequently than I would with a Hawkless broadcast.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Bingo.One of the reasons I go to as many games as I do is because it means I can watch the Sox without having to deal with either of the broadcast booths. And now especially since I have mlb.tv I find myself flipping to other games from the Sox game way more frequently than I would with a Hawkless broadcast.
Hawk has actually caused me to tune in to Ed and DJ almost exclusively. I do not like Ed and DJ.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wow...this thread has taken off. Two thoughts:

1) Hawk Harrelson is schtick...all this debate is just plays into the schtick. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Ken Harrelson doesn't even 100% believe the B.S. spouted by Hawk Harrelson.

2) I was a Hawk fan for a long time, but starting with a few years ago, I'm indifferent at best. His schtick now seems to overshadow any value he used to offer viewers of White Sox games. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the White Sox are one of only two teams that can be seen regularly (at least once a week) by the entire nation on a non-cable channel (the Cubs being the other). They need to exploit that exposure! If even longtime die hard Sox fans are only indifferent about Hawk, the Sox are wasting an opportunity.

Count me as a proponent of getting a new play by play guy. Hawk will always have a special place in my heart, but it's time for a change.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Wow...this thread has taken off. Two thoughts:

1) Hawk Harrelson is schtick...all this debate is just plays into the schtick. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Ken Harrelson doesn't even 100% believe the B.S. spouted by Hawk Harrelson.

2) I was a Hawk fan for a long time, but starting with a few years ago, I'm indifferent at best. His schtick now seems to overshadow any value he used to offer viewers of White Sox games. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the White Sox are one of only two teams that can be seen regularly (at least once a week) by the entire nation on a non-cable channel (the Cubs being the other). They need to exploit that exposure! If even longtime die hard Sox fans are only indifferent about Hawk, the Sox are wasting an opportunity.

Count me as a proponent of getting a new play by play guy. Hawk will always have a special place in my heart, but it's time for a change.
I'm not sure how true this is anymore. Rare is the Sox game nowadays that is even on WGN. And of those, I'm not sure how many, if any, are on the Superstation. Perhaps an out-of-town WSIer can clarify?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I'm not sure how true this is anymore. Rare is the Sox game nowadays that is even on WGN. And of those, I'm not sure how many, if any, are on the Superstation. Perhaps an out-of-town WSIer can clarify?
I believe every game that WGN televises we get to see here in Florida. I check the schedule every year and I can't remember any WGN games not shown. Doing a quick count it looks like 30 games on WGN this year.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I believe every game that WGN televises we get to see here in Florida. I check the schedule every year and I can't remember any WGN games not shown. Doing a quick count it looks like 30 games on WGN this year.
Agreed...roughly one per week here in AZ.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Agreed...roughly one per week here in AZ.
30? Not bad.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
At least one weekend game each week on the Superstation.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 PM
WSI Guru

Spivak:

The Sox are not blacked out anyplace in the nation when on the Superstation.

My schedule has 23 games on WGN Superstation this year.

Lip
Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I'm pretty sure every WGN game is also carried on the Superstation
Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 AM
WSI Guru

That's correct any local Sox game on WGN is also shown on WGN America.

Lip
Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Huh, what?

If I see a guy not running out a ball to first base or dropping easy flyballs in rightfield because he refused to pull his sunglasses off his hat, I am probably going to call him on it. Has nothing to do with his skin color. I would say the same thing about Adam Dunn in 2011, but since he struck out about 50% of the time he came to the plate, "running balls out" was not really an issue.

Tread carefully on those kind of statements.
Seriously. If there is one area where most people don't even notice race, it's pro sports.

NOTE: I am not pretending there have not been racial incidents.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."