White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 04:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think seeing TWTW all over the place the rest of the season is going to make me want kill my self. Thankfully I have a strong TWTL
Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't see where the controversey is. This isn't some archaic concept from a man stuck in the past. This mainstream thought among people who follow and cover sports. As much as I dislike Ken Harrelson, I find myself defending him. The only reason this is being debated here is that he seems to have insulted some sort of sabermetric dogma.
It is less his opinion than the way he presents it (and that it is representative of the Sox) that is embarrassing.

As for free agents, it is much easier to remember the busts than the successes. Also, a drop in skill, even if steep, does not necessarily show laziness and no "will to win." It might just show a drop in skill. This will to win stuff sounds like more of the "no heart" etc. junk that we will eventually see this season from the usual crowd.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think some of you need to lighten up. Hawk is costing the White Sox fans? "TWTW" makes you want to kill yourself? Jesus.

I don't necessarily agree with Hawk, but I think it's little more than a harmless sideshow. Personally, harmless sideshows are one of the things I find endearing about my beloved Sox. I mean, this is a team that wore freaking shorts on the baseball diamond. Imagine the horror at WSI - oh God, people will think we're fools!

I kind of like that the Sox are rich in tradition and stories, and not some inert, sterile sports franchise. While I'm not always a huge fan of Hawk on the air, I think he's just another part of the pastiche that future Sox fans will look back upon fondly. So I'm fine with Hawk, and I'm fine with the club having a little good-natured fun with "TWTW."
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over By There View Post
Hawk is costing the White Sox fans?"
Of that I have no doubt.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
Of that I have no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I think seeing TWTW all over the place the rest of the season is going to make me want kill my self. Thankfully I have a strong TWTL
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM
WSI Guru

Dome:

I've interviewed Rick personally and he's said he believes in both systems, new school (stats) and old school (eyeball / scouts).

Kittle:

83 wins in a season is better than 73 to me in my book. Again, for the seemingly millionth time that doesn't mean I'm satisfied if the Sox win 82-83-85 games. OK?

Is that perfectly clear to you right now?

Good.

Bottom line... if the team is going to have a mediocre season I'd at least like them to win more than they lose. What's so hard about that to understand?

Lip
Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I kind of like that the Sox are rich in tradition and stories, and not some inert, sterile sports franchise.
I hate to tell you that most people think the Sox are a boring, stale franchise playing in a boring, stale stadium. We're the exceptions. People think of the Sox like I think of, say, Toronto.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Is that perfectly clear to you right now?

Lip
To quote The Dude, "I'm sorry, I wasn't listening."
Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think some of you need to lighten up. Hawk is costing the White Sox fans? "TWTW" makes you want to kill yourself? Jesus.

I don't necessarily agree with Hawk, but I think it's little more than a harmless sideshow. Personally, harmless sideshows are one of the things I find endearing about my beloved Sox. I mean, this is a team that wore freaking shorts on the baseball diamond. Imagine the horror at WSI - oh God, people will think we're fools!

I kind of like that the Sox are rich in tradition and stories, and not some inert, sterile sports franchise. While I'm not always a huge fan of Hawk on the air, I think he's just another part of the pastiche that future Sox fans will look back upon fondly. So I'm fine with Hawk, and I'm fine with the club having a little good-natured fun with "TWTW."
Thats cool if you want the Sox to be this comedic, dorky sideshow of a team. For me, I would like to see the market of fans grow, and Hawk is not helping that. Hawk Harrelson can make it embarrassing to be a Sox fan. It is time for him to hang it up.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Thats cool if you want the Sox to be this comedic, dorky sideshow of a team. For me, I would like to see the market of fans grow, and Hawk is not helping that. Hawk Harrelson can make it embarrassing to be a Sox fan. It is time for him to hang it up.
Agreed. The Sox can do much better than him.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

The only 2 things I have to say about Dunn and Rios are that 1. 95% of the baseball world thought we got excellent value in Dunn. After he signed, many people thought we got a discount. Nobody could ever have predicted such a sharp decline. 2. Lots of posters should be ashamed of the things they said about Rios, but they'll never admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
He's not hurting it, either, despite your embarrassment. I can tell you that at least among the baseball fans I know here in DC that they think of Hawk as nothing more than an amusing old timer. In fact, the worst thing said about him is that he is a blatant homer, but that is also said about many other announcers. I truly don't get the "we should be ashamed" reaction to this. So he doesn't like advanced metrics, so what? He is certainly not the only one working in baseball today with that viewpoint. By the way, I was at the Nats game last night sitting among people who know me as a Sox fan from having attended several previous games. No one mentioned it to me, and believe me, they would have if they thought they could give me a hard time about it.

I have no doubt that the number of people who equate his opinion with somehow undermining Rick Hahn could comfortably fit in an elevator. I am even more certain that Hahn would not be among the group standing in that elevator. In fact, if Hahn did publicly state, for some bizarre reason, that Hawk's comments undermined his ability as GM, I would be embarrassed... about the notion that our GM could allow such meaningless comments from Hawk to affect him at all.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Indeed.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
The only 2 things I have to say about Dunn and Rios are that 1. 95% of the baseball world thought we got excellent value in Dunn. After he signed, many people thought we got a discount. Nobody could ever have predicted such a sharp decline. 2. Lots of posters should be ashamed of the things they said about Rios, but they'll never admit it.
I sure don't miss the racially tinged "Rios and Dunn are awful, but at least Dunn tries!" comments from 2011...

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I sure don't miss the racially tinged "Rios and Dunn are awful, but at least Dunn tries!" comments from 2011...
So what you are saying is Dunn had TWTW? Why were his results so bad then?!?!?!