White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
It will turn into a bigger joke than "all in"
It sounds more like, really an aweful lot like "win or die trying.''
Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
A-****ing-men on all points. I HATE the "those who played the game automatically have more credibility" argument.

And being stuck in the past is not a good thing.

I enjoy hearing tales of how baseball used to be and how it is changed. I like the old time feel to the broadcast. Wasn't around to see baseball before the 90's so I enjoy learning about the characters and way things were done back then.

As far as the other thing, actually doing something makes you more credible in my opinion. You have your own experiences to draw on. I didn't say the other guys weren't credible, I said I would tend to find Hawk more credible. Not every jock that ESPN runs out there but Hawk. To me what he has to say carries more weight because he has been around for so many "eras" of baseball. Just my opinion. Listen to the new, polished announcers if it floats your boat.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
As far as the other thing, actually doing something makes you more credible in my opinion. You have your own experiences to draw on. I didn't say the other guys weren't credible, I said I would tend to find Hawk more credible. Not every jock that ESPN runs out there but Hawk. To me what he has to say carries more weight because he has been around for so many "eras" of baseball. Just my opinion. Listen to the new, polished announcers if it floats your boat.
And if you ever forget, he'll be sure to let you know.

"If he hit somebody, we canít charge the mound because heís too big." -Adrian Beltre on Adam Dunn
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

You said yourself he was stuck in his own era of baseball and hasn't or doesn't want to change as the game has. Why oh why would you trust what he says as being accurate to the game as it's understood today? How is that "value" of his seen as a good thing to you?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Here is the entire interview:

Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

If ownership is somehow involved with this, and they are doubling down with Ken Harrelson as the marketing voice of the White Sox - we're doomed.

This guy is a bitter self-promoter and a complete lackey.

Things just keep getting worse.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
You said yourself he was stuck in his own era of baseball and hasn't or doesn't want to change as the game has. Why oh why would you trust what he says as being accurate to the game as it's understood today? How is that "value" of his seen as a good thing to you?

I enjoy the perspective of it. It's a complete change of pace from most other announcers and I do find some truth in what he says. Especially about baseball being a kids game. Thats why I enjoyed Buehrle so much. Did he ever shake off the catcher? He just threw and did not overthink. Keep it Simple Stupid applies to everything IMO including baseball.

We could try to discredit each others opinions and keep going in circles but each of us is entitled. I don't think you're wrong, I'm just saying that as a Hawk fan I appreciate what he brings. I'm probably one of the few that is proud of the fact he is our announcer. But I get why others don't like him.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Listen to the new, polished announcers if it floats your boat.
Yeah, Vin Scully is less credible than Hawk by your logic.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I enjoy the perspective of it. It's a complete change of pace from most other announcers and I do find some truth in what he says. Especially about baseball being a kids game. Thats why I enjoyed Buehrle so much. Did he ever shake off the catcher? He just threw and did not overthink. Keep it Simple Stupid applies to everything IMO including baseball.
Well see that's different from what you said. You said he was more credible in the way he sees/calls the game. But at the same time you admit he hasn't been able to change with the game. So....yeah, you are going in circles. Only so many contradicting statements one can make.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM
WSI Personality

I thought Hawks projected stats for the 2000 Rockies was interesting. Brian Kenny said his 1968 stats would be a 348 average, 49 homeruns, 187 RBI'S, 438 OBP and 652 Slugging. I think that may be a little off base especially the RBI's and i'm sure Brian Kenny was using that to get Hawk to change his mind on saber stats. In reality steroids are why everyone hit so well in 2000 not so much ballpark factors.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 AM
WSI Regular

If "TWTW" is actually a, um, thing- I'm not sure that it's the right marketing slogan for a team with generally the laziest player I have ever watched in a Sox uniform in the middle of the lineup- and during the games he has played in his career, his team is 138 games below .500.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Can I amend my statements and say they have the best collection of under-30 talent assembled, easily in my lifetime (approximately 30 years?) Will that work?
2003 Marlins? If you don't use 20/20 hindsight - that team was looking insanely good back then. Some guys fizzled - but who's to say some Nationals won't?

C Ramon Castro 27 (and Ivan Rodriguez was only 31)
1B Derek Lee 27
2B Luis Castillo 27
3b Miguel Cabrera 20
3B Mike Lowell 29
SS Alex Gonzalez 26
LF Juan Pierre 25
RF-CF Juan Encarnacion 27

SP Brad Penny 25
SP Carl Pavano 27
SP Dontrelle Willis 21
SP Josh Beckett 23
SP AJ Burnett 26
SP Mark Redman 29

P Ugueth Urbina 29
P Braden Looper 28
(and I'll throw in Tim Spooneybarger at 23 for kicks).

Guys in Minors:
Edwin Jackson 19
Shane Victorino 22
Joel Hanrahan 21
Scott Linebrink 26

And a guy who never blossomed:
Reggie Abercrombie 22
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Yeah, Vin Scully is less credible than Hawk by your logic.
I see nothing wrong with that conclusion.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM
WSI Regular

How many times have you heard people complain that a "company is being run by the bean counters"? Bean counters use spread sheets, and hey, "numbers don't lie".

But the numbers never tell the whole story, and that is the real message here. Unfortunately, somebody thought it would be a great idea if Hawk delivered that message....to a national @#^$)#@# audience!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

I knew it would be an embarrassing interview, but it honestly was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Hawk sure reiterated defense a good amount. At least he's right about most of what he said on that end of the game regarding pitching and defense.