White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
It will turn into a bigger joke than "all in"
It sounds more like, really an aweful lot like "win or die trying.''
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
A-****ing-men on all points. I HATE the "those who played the game automatically have more credibility" argument.

And being stuck in the past is not a good thing.

I enjoy hearing tales of how baseball used to be and how it is changed. I like the old time feel to the broadcast. Wasn't around to see baseball before the 90's so I enjoy learning about the characters and way things were done back then.

As far as the other thing, actually doing something makes you more credible in my opinion. You have your own experiences to draw on. I didn't say the other guys weren't credible, I said I would tend to find Hawk more credible. Not every jock that ESPN runs out there but Hawk. To me what he has to say carries more weight because he has been around for so many "eras" of baseball. Just my opinion. Listen to the new, polished announcers if it floats your boat.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM
soxnut1018 soxnut1018 is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
As far as the other thing, actually doing something makes you more credible in my opinion. You have your own experiences to draw on. I didn't say the other guys weren't credible, I said I would tend to find Hawk more credible. Not every jock that ESPN runs out there but Hawk. To me what he has to say carries more weight because he has been around for so many "eras" of baseball. Just my opinion. Listen to the new, polished announcers if it floats your boat.
And if you ever forget, he'll be sure to let you know.
__________________


"If he hit somebody, we canít charge the mound because heís too big." -Adrian Beltre on Adam Dunn
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Bob Roarman Bob Roarman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post

As far as the other thing, actually doing something makes you more credible in my opinion. You have your own experiences to draw on. I didn't say the other guys weren't credible, I said I would tend to find Hawk more credible. Not every jock that ESPN runs out there but Hawk. To me what he has to say carries more weight because he has been around for so many "eras" of baseball. Just my opinion. Listen to the new, polished announcers if it floats your boat.
You said yourself he was stuck in his own era of baseball and hasn't or doesn't want to change as the game has. Why oh why would you trust what he says as being accurate to the game as it's understood today? How is that "value" of his seen as a good thing to you?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Soxman219 Soxman219 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Munster, Indiana
Posts: 3,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Here is the entire interview:



__________________
Setbacks are setups for comebacks
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 PM
KingXerxes KingXerxes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,593
Default

If ownership is somehow involved with this, and they are doubling down with Ken Harrelson as the marketing voice of the White Sox - we're doomed.

This guy is a bitter self-promoter and a complete lackey.

Things just keep getting worse.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Roarman View Post
You said yourself he was stuck in his own era of baseball and hasn't or doesn't want to change as the game has. Why oh why would you trust what he says as being accurate to the game as it's understood today? How is that "value" of his seen as a good thing to you?

I enjoy the perspective of it. It's a complete change of pace from most other announcers and I do find some truth in what he says. Especially about baseball being a kids game. Thats why I enjoyed Buehrle so much. Did he ever shake off the catcher? He just threw and did not overthink. Keep it Simple Stupid applies to everything IMO including baseball.

We could try to discredit each others opinions and keep going in circles but each of us is entitled. I don't think you're wrong, I'm just saying that as a Hawk fan I appreciate what he brings. I'm probably one of the few that is proud of the fact he is our announcer. But I get why others don't like him.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Listen to the new, polished announcers if it floats your boat.
Yeah, Vin Scully is less credible than Hawk by your logic.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Bob Roarman Bob Roarman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I enjoy the perspective of it. It's a complete change of pace from most other announcers and I do find some truth in what he says. Especially about baseball being a kids game. Thats why I enjoyed Buehrle so much. Did he ever shake off the catcher? He just threw and did not overthink. Keep it Simple Stupid applies to everything IMO including baseball.
Well see that's different from what you said. You said he was more credible in the way he sees/calls the game. But at the same time you admit he hasn't been able to change with the game. So....yeah, you are going in circles. Only so many contradicting statements one can make.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 AM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 993
Default

I thought Hawks projected stats for the 2000 Rockies was interesting. Brian Kenny said his 1968 stats would be a 348 average, 49 homeruns, 187 RBI'S, 438 OBP and 652 Slugging. I think that may be a little off base especially the RBI's and i'm sure Brian Kenny was using that to get Hawk to change his mind on saber stats. In reality steroids are why everyone hit so well in 2000 not so much ballpark factors.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 AM
lpneck lpneck is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 152
Default

If "TWTW" is actually a, um, thing- I'm not sure that it's the right marketing slogan for a team with generally the laziest player I have ever watched in a Sox uniform in the middle of the lineup- and during the games he has played in his career, his team is 138 games below .500.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM
balke balke is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Can I amend my statements and say they have the best collection of under-30 talent assembled, easily in my lifetime (approximately 30 years?) Will that work?
2003 Marlins? If you don't use 20/20 hindsight - that team was looking insanely good back then. Some guys fizzled - but who's to say some Nationals won't?

C Ramon Castro 27 (and Ivan Rodriguez was only 31)
1B Derek Lee 27
2B Luis Castillo 27
3b Miguel Cabrera 20
3B Mike Lowell 29
SS Alex Gonzalez 26
LF Juan Pierre 25
RF-CF Juan Encarnacion 27

SP Brad Penny 25
SP Carl Pavano 27
SP Dontrelle Willis 21
SP Josh Beckett 23
SP AJ Burnett 26
SP Mark Redman 29

P Ugueth Urbina 29
P Braden Looper 28
(and I'll throw in Tim Spooneybarger at 23 for kicks).


Guys in Minors:
Edwin Jackson 19
Shane Victorino 22
Joel Hanrahan 21
Scott Linebrink 26

And a guy who never blossomed:
Reggie Abercrombie 22
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Yeah, Vin Scully is less credible than Hawk by your logic.
I see nothing wrong with that conclusion.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM
joegraz joegraz is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 30
Default

How many times have you heard people complain that a "company is being run by the bean counters"? Bean counters use spread sheets, and hey, "numbers don't lie".

But the numbers never tell the whole story, and that is the real message here. Unfortunately, somebody thought it would be a great idea if Hawk delivered that message....to a national @#^$)#@# audience!!!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 AM
aryzner aryzner is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rolling Meadows, IL
Posts: 2,357
Default

I knew it would be an embarrassing interview, but it honestly was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Hawk sure reiterated defense a good amount. At least he's right about most of what he said on that end of the game regarding pitching and defense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.