White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I remember someone hear saying Beckham was the next Jeter.
That "somone" was Jeter himself after Beckham nailed the Yanks for something like five doubles in one weekend against them his rookie year. Jeter was gushing about Beckham in the Sun Times after that series was over.

My question: Is "Rizzo" Italian for "Dunn?"

All hail The Rick
Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You mean like how we gushed over Gordon Beckham for years haha. I think all teams do that, hell, I remember someone hear saying Beckham was the next Jeter.
People here were adamant that trading him for Adrian Gonzales was a bad move because Beckham was going to be a superstar for 12 years.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have this crazy feeling that Sveum will not be a part of the Cubs post rebuilding.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
I have this crazy feeling that Sveum will not be a part of the Cubs post rebuilding.
That's an interesting question that I have talked about with my friends, how long does Sveum and Theo have? They need to start showing some degree of improvement this year and I THINK they need to at least flirt with .500 by next year.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
That's an interesting question that I have talked about with my friends, how long does Sveum and Theo have? They need to start showing some degree of improvement this year and I THINK they need to at least flirt with .500 by next year.
Sveum maybe, Theo has a longer leash, I think, you win two World Titles in Boston and you've earned some street cred.

But if the Cubs are this bad, and this fundamentally bad, well, that's on the manager, right? Who else can be held accountable if his players are making mental mistakes all over the place?

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
WSI High Priest

With the Sox playing such craptastic baseball I find little to no pleasure in the Cubbies play to date. The Sox are playing embarrassingly bad baseball. Cubbie fans, I got nothing.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Can Ventura or Hahn say this to Dunn?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You mean like how we gushed over Gordon Beckham for years haha.
I agree, its a very similar situation. The difference is, the Chicago media wasn't covering Beckham's rookie season like he was the next Babe Ruth, like they did Rizzo (at least last year).

Ch. 7 sent Rafer Weigel to Pittsburgh for the Cubs season opener - on the road - but all they showed was tape of the Sox opener, and it was at home. At least they had a Rizzo HR to feature.

Sorry to go all Hangar on you guys but it seemed pretty annoying to me.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
I agree, its a very similar situation. The difference is, the Chicago media wasn't covering Beckham's rookie season like he was the next Babe Ruth, like they did Rizzo (at least last year).

Ch. 7 sent Rafer Weigel to Pittsburgh for the Cubs season opener - on the road - but all they showed was tape of the Sox opener, and it was at home. At least they had a Rizzo HR to feature.

My personal favorite was when the Cubs signed Todd Hundley. That was such an awesome story and signing. Todd is coming home to play for his hometown Cubbies and his father gets to pass the torch to him, etc. My thinking was, what is so good of giving a career .239 catcher with a bad shoulder $24 million?

It used to bother me, but now I just laugh at it. I don't even pay attention to the Cubs anymore. Of course, the Sox have their own problems. Kind of hard to laugh at another team when your team sucks royally bad, too...
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post

After Rizzo's Opening Day HR, he's having a very bad start to the 2013 season. That said I don't wish Rizzo ill. The only current Cubbie that I can think of that I'd love to see fail is Jeff Samardzija.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI Guru

Sully tonight at the Tribune web site has a story talking about a fire sale come July. Names Marmol, Soriano, Barney, DeJesus, Garza (if healthy) and a few others as those who could be moved.

Lip
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Sully tonight at the Tribune web site has a story talking about a fire sale come July. Names Marmol, Soriano, Barney, DeJesus, Garza (if healthy) and a few others as those who could be moved.

Lip
Marmol and Soriano (and perhaps even Garza) don't really qualify as fire-sale material though. The Cubs are begging somebody to take those guys. Their value could not be any lower right now.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Marmol and Soriano (and perhaps even Garza) don't really qualify as fire-sale material though. The Cubs are begging somebody to take those guys. Their value could not be any lower right now.
I would think Garza qualifies as worthless material right now, too, as he just had a rehab start scratched due to a "dead arm." I mean, I guess maybe someone will take a flyer on him, but the Cubs gave up a bounty for him barely more than 2 years ago. That move's going to go down as bad if not worse than the Swisher I and II trades for the Sox.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Sveum maybe, Theo has a longer leash, I think, you win two World Titles in Boston and you've earned some street cred.

But if the Cubs are this bad, and this fundamentally bad, well, that's on the manager, right? Who else can be held accountable if his players are making mental mistakes all over the place?
I agree- I can think of three times when a new manager, taking over mediocre or rebuilding teams- had a great impact on how they played the fundamentals.

LaRussa in 1979 took over Sox- somehow found a way to go 27-27 with that big pile of crap.

Torborg in 1989, 37-36 in the 2nd half

Ventura- 2012 (seems to have disappeared in 2013 though)
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I would think Garza qualifies as worthless material right now, too, as he just had a rehab start scratched due to a "dead arm." I mean, I guess maybe someone will take a flyer on him, but the Cubs gave up a bounty for him barely more than 2 years ago. That move's going to go down as bad if not worse than the Swisher I and II trades for the Sox.
Bounty is a great word for it. Two of the Rays top three prospects currently are from the Garza trade.

It was a pretty terrible trade.