White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Stick up for me kufram. If they win about 70 games or so I won't fall out of my chair, but I'd like to think that with Beckham and Tank back, and a continuation of solid pitching the season can be salvaged. I have no playoff hopes and it is kind of funny to me that I'm getting laughed at for being "optimistic."
I half agree. The Sox have been absolutely BRUTAL out of the gate, if they're going to be this bad all year, well, then it is what it is. But again, looks like the Central is going to be won by some team that's going to max out in the high 80s for wins again. The vaunted Tigers that were going to win 110 games or whatever are nowhere to be found.

I don't have any high hopes, but it's too early to be 100% certain of anything. You just have to make the playoffs. If last year's garbage Detroit team can win the pennant, pretty much anyone can.

Once again our salvation is our incredibly mediocre division.

Last edited by doublem23; 04-24-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
The offense is still broken, but at least they won.
Averaging than 3.3 runs/game, good for 14th in the AL.
No one has scored fewer runs in the AL than us, and only the Marlins and Dodgers have scored fewer runs in the majors.

Thank God that the Mariners have actually played three more games than we have.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Hey, guys, keep your chins up. It *could* happen (no matter how unlikely)!

Don't we make fun of another certain fanbase for this type of stuff?
Eh, more power to those that want to stay positive and believe something "could" happen. If that makes baseball enjoyable for them I've got no problem with that. I think some folks here think that you're either a pollyanna or dark cloud. There's a lot of in between but if you have to be either of the extremes, give me the pollyannas any day.

I think this team ends up being average at best, though I'd love to be surprised like I was last season. One benefit to being out of contention is it would give me a lot more spare time in the evenings this summer.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
Eh, more power to those that want to stay positive and believe something "could" happen. If that makes baseball enjoyable for them I've got no problem with that. I think some folks here think that you're either a pollyanna or dark cloud. There's a lot of in between but if you have to be either of the extremes, give me the pollyannas any day.

I think this team ends up being average at best, though I'd love to be surprised like I was last season. One benefit to being out of contention is it would give me a lot more spare time in the evenings this summer.

I thought I'd be like this in 2007 but there was actually something enjoyable about watching even though they were out of it real early. It was fun watching Thome, Dye (Until he fell off), Konerko, and AJ try to carry a bunch of scrubs like Luis Tererro and Andy Gonzales.

Also the Andy Gonzales 3 error inning was incredibly entertaining.

Plus I thought we had a budding superstar in Josh Fields...oops.

Its been discussed here before but I'm definitely one who will try to catch the Sox no matter what their record is and try to find some spark of hope for the future.

That being said it sucks watching a team that doesn't care (2011) so hopefully Robin and these guys fight it out no matter what.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Stick up for me kufram. If they win about 70 games or so I won't fall out of my chair, but I'd like to think that with Beckham and Tank back, and a continuation of solid pitching the season can be salvaged. I have no playoff hopes and it is kind of funny to me that I'm getting laughed at for being "optimistic."
I'm not in the season prediction game. You are right in being hopeful that things will get better, in my opinion. We have done a number of things badly for 2 or three weeks. That has to change and it could change. April is a time for hope. I don't want to spend this time predicting anything, but certainly not predicting certain failure.

Keeping the opposition from scoring and then scoring one more run than them will do.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Banned

Did someone actually pine for Viciedo's return to bring the team back to respectability?

That's something that actually happened. Wow.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Did someone actually pine for Viciedo's return to bring the team back to respectability?

Yeah, this team definitely doesn't need a player that was 7-14 in the 4 games before his injury.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
But how had the team been playing to that point? You can be a lucky bad team at four games under, or a unlucky good team. You can't gain alot of context from just the standings.

Also, I don't think I would consider a team 4 under at Memorial Day 'done'
The start of 1983 wasn't so different from the start of 2013, although it wasn't a lack of offense that was so much the problem. Ron Kittle was having a strong rookie season and got off to a fast start. But the strenghth of the team was supposed to be pitching. The Sox had signed Floyd Bannisster who was much worse early in the season than Todd Ritchie at the start 19 seasons later. Bannister was consistently bad with an ERA consistently over 5 until Memorial Day. The Arizona Republic in Phoenix did a story about ASU pitching legend Bannister at the All-Star break, concluding he was too gutless to get AL hitters out.

Incumbent ace LaMarr Hoyt in mid-May was 2-6 with an ERA over 5 in mid-May. Before this team started winning ugly, it was losing ugly. Of course, Bannister ended up winning 16 games, 13 after the All-Star break, and Hoyt won the Cy Young Award.

The 2007 White Sox looked much better through May than the 1983 White Sox. But as Ron Kittle told a reporter during the horriblly disappointing start in 1983, the Sox began the 1982 season 8-0, and that didn't work out so well.

This isn't to suggest that getting off to a bad start means the team will contend. But it's a long season. If not for two melt-down innings by the bullpen on this homestand, the Sox would only be one game out of first. And the bullpen is supposed to be a strength.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Super Duper!!!
Next game, maybe we can score more then 3 runs and get more then 5 hits.

Nice to finally get a W. Hope Sale keeps it going Thu.

Bob
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox have the pennant contending quality pitching, IMO. The other side, uh...well...
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 AM
WSI High Priest

We are in the middle of the Caribbean on a cruise and it was ruining my cruise waking up every day and checking the previous days scores with another Sox loss. Can't believe we finally won a game, all that food today will be easier to digest and my Manhattan before dinner will taste better.
We still can't hit and as long as useless Dunn is in the cleanup spot we are doomed. The man is either stupid or stubborn not to try something else while at bat. Batting .100 is not even pathetic.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
I agree with this. Never understood why some insist on mocking others for either being optimistic -- even irrationally optimistic -- or for simply enjoying Sox baseball (or tolerating bad Sox baseball). People have different outlooks on baseball and on life. It's April -- no one has all the answers on how the season will play out.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:00 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

This post constitutes a personal attack on another poster. Enjoy your time off.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
No one has scored fewer runs in the AL than us, and only the Marlins and Dodgers have scored fewer runs in the majors.
The Sox need help on offense, no doubt about it. The return of Beckham and Viciedo will help and maybe the Sox make another move or two.

But for today,