White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
WSI Personality

Default Garbage removed from the "Stay Positive" Thread

I'm all for being positive, but I think I'll refrain from dousing myself with the Conor Kool-Aid after 45 PAs or being contented with a Beckham-Ramirez infield. At a certain point it just seems like we're searching for peanuts in a heap of elephant dung.

Besides, 3 weeks of play are not indicative of larger, season-long trends. It takes about double that before you should begin to worry that, say, Dunn has completely lost it or proclaim that we have a potential starting caliber player at third.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Besides, 3 weeks of play are not indicative of larger, season-long trends. It takes about double that before you should begin to worry that, say, Dunn has completely lost it

Two years and three weeks isn't enough?!? Outside of the first eight or nine weeks last year, Dunn has been garbage.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI Regular

Things are not well on the South Side. Our minor league "stars" are struggling to hit .200, and our everyday squad up here could not be any worse. Just ask the Swamp Donkey himself. And to make things even sadder, we have the absolute worst announcer(s) in all of baseball. What exactly did they "fix" in Hawk and Stoney's chat in the off-season? Hawk has done nothing but get worse and seems to be taking a page out of the Ozzie Guillen handbook of bridge-burning and daring someone to fire his insufferable butt.

Gilaspie plays like he's afraid of being interviewed after the game (which is actually a good thing, believe me), he will grind out at-bat's, and he didn't cost us a thing. I'll take it, especially at the hot corner. But beyond that, Sale is not a sure thing, Alexei hasn't looked like his 2008 self since...well, 2008 and trying to find a beacon in the darkness after that will just make you sad. Finally, if Gordon Beckham is still looked upon next season as part of "our core" to build around, no -- scratch that -- if he is our starting 2nd basemen next year I will be really sad.

Last edited by Stanley; 04-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post

Two years and three weeks isn't enough?!? Outside of the first eight or nine weeks last year, Dunn has been garbage.
A 112 OPS+ is a 112 OPS+. He was decent enough last year to warrant more than a 3-week evaluation.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
A 112 OPS+ is a 112 OPS+. He was decent enough last year to warrant more than a 3-week evaluation.
I'll have to disagree; this is a classic case where sabermetrics fall short.

Look at his numbers of 2011-2012, outside of the first 50 games of 2012:

.174/.298/.345

I don't care how well he hit in April and May of one year if that is what you are getting the other ten months of two full seasons. He could magically transform into Willie Mays for two months, if you're getting the above production the other 260 some odd games, he's hurting your team - big time.

Now, using your eyeballs, you can see he is garbage in 2013. There's no reasonable, er, reason to expect him to improve at this point. He's not worth the space on the roster.

Last edited by TheVulture; 04-24-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Banned

The only bright side here is that each passing day brings us one day closer to the expiration of Dunn's contract.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

This thread is called Looking On The Bright Side and yet vultures still feel the need to swoop. There is a difference between the words fan and fanatic.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
This thread is called Looking On The Bright Side and yet vultures still feel the need to swoop. There is a difference between the words fan and fanatic.
You're absolutely right. The "Stay Positive" thread will stay positive. Anyone wants to read this ****, well, there's the rest of the boards.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
But beyond that, Sale is not a sure thing, Alexei hasn't looked like his 2008 self since...well, 2008 and trying to find a beacon in the darkness after that will just make you sad. Finally, if Gordon Beckham is still looked upon next season as part of "our core" to build around, no -- scratch that -- if he is our starting 2nd basemen next year I will be really sad.
Depending on what metrics you use, TCM was actually as good or better than his rookie year in '09, '10, and '11. Improved defense (which includes the move to a more important defensive position) and plate discipline plays a part, even if the power and average took a bit of a dip. Last year was concerning, no doubt, but it's nice to see him hitting in April for once.

2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus PNC Park in Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
The only bright side here is that each passing day brings us one day closer to the expiration of Dunn's contract.
Can some start an Adam Dunn contract expiration countdown clock?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
The "Dunn O-Meter?"
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Why? We all know when his contract expires, we all know he sucks ass and I don't think a daily reminder of how bad Adam Dunn is is needed. We already have a daily reminder of how bad he is, it's called White Sox baseball.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
The "Dunn O-Meter?"
'How long Til Dunn's Done?'