White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM
WSI Regular

Default An odd find: 1975 Sox TV44 pre-game show

Here's a nice piece of nostalgia:

MediaBurn has posted a complete video of a TV44 White Sox pre-game show from June 17, 1975. Harry Caray interviews GM Roland Hemond about a bunch of trades Hemond made at the deadline two days before. Tony Muser and Stan Bahnsen departed, but Hemond is excited about acquiring minor leaguer "Chester Lemon" from Oakland. Harry also seems to go out of his way to take a shot at Dick Allen for "retiring" from the team in 1974.

This was the notorious year that Harry was paired with J.C. Martin in the booth, and you can hear some awkward interaction as Martin reads the lineups (and misstates the name of the Texas Rangers).

There are a handful of highlights scattered throughout, including a quick clip of Bahnsen's last game against the Yankees, who were playing in Shea Stadium that year while Yankee Stadium was renovated. A lot of low-budget homemade commercials, too.

Unfortunately, the video ends before the game starts. Before it cuts off, you can see a few seconds of the animated opening that TV44 used for years in the 70's.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Man what a find! The On-Deck show from 1975. Only wish we could have gotten the full game opening intro before the tape ran out... been searching for that for YEARS!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM
WSI Prelate

This is a great find, it would certainly be nice if the White Sox or MLB had a YouTube channel that you could post this kind of stuff. But why bother using new technology to embrace the past?

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wow! What a flashback! The "graphics" on the commercials are completely laughable. Who wants to buy an AMC Pacer?!

Harry Caray actually looks pretty good and you can understand him compared to his later year with the Cubs.

Certainly a different time and era.

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 PM
WSI High Priest

I also remember the Ball Park frank commercial with Redd Foxx quite clearly ("Only room for one dummy", "Right, Dummy!"). Now if only someone can unearth the Chevy commercial with Pat Kelly, Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood singing in the showers ("Switch on, there goes another Chevy!").
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 PM
WSI Guru

Unbelievable find. The video quality is almost pristine.

Great fun listening to Hemond talk about the promising third baseman they picked up from Oakland....Chester Lemon.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-5; 0.375
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM
WSI Guru

Did Harry have a feud with Dick Allen? Around 8:45-9:30, he's pretty much laying into Allen for quitting on the team at the end of the '74 season. I'm guessing after Hemond left the interview, he turned around and gave Harry a "**** you", which cracked Harry up at 10:15.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Agree

Great find! Kudos!
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 PM
WSI Guru

The video is awesome. It even has a clip of Dick the Bruiser and Luscious Johnny Valiant at 15:45.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI Guru

Terrific find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Already sent the link to Roland and a bunch of guys who were on that club (Jim Katt, Wilbur Wood, Stan Bahnsen, Chet Lemon...)

Just great to see this again.

Regarding Chet at 3rd base, this is from my interview with him:

ML: As I understand it you were a third baseman in the As minor league system yet by 1976, your first full year with the Sox, you had been made into a center fielder. How did that all come about, and is it true that then Sox manager Paul Richards is the guy who suggested the change?

CL: "Paul may have been a part of it but Ill tell you when it first came up about me becoming an outfielder. In late 1975 when I was with the Sox, I was at 3rd base and a ground ball was hit towards the middle. I started running and cut in front of the shortstop and actually wound up around George Orta at second base! (laughing) The very next day I was on the top step of the dugout, it was early in the day since Id always be one of the first guys to show up. Chuck Tanner, the Sox manager, came up, put his arm around my shoulder and said, I can remember this like it was yesterday, son I want you to start taking one hundred fly balls a day because if you stay an infielder youre gonna kill somebody! (laughing)"

Lip
Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 PM
WSI Guru

Here's what happened in the game later that evening:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...170TEX1975.htm

Lip
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM
WSI High Priest

So very cool. Martin was painful to listen to. Hemond was such a good GM and Harry always made things interesting. Outstanding find.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wow, what an awesome find kba! Everything about this clip is great: from Harry's affectionate nature towards Roland, to the names of the players talked about, the lineups, the cheesy '70's car commercials, and, of course, the genius-bad Redd Foxx commercial.

I'm feeling nostalgic now; feel like cracking open a can of HI-C fruit punch and watching the game.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The video is awesome. It even has a clip of Dick the Bruiser and Luscious Johnny Valiant at 15:45.
Outside of the ring you can see Ernie The Big Cat Ladd taking care of Pretty Boy Bobby Heenan.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Hemond was so forthcoming about trading. It was fascinating to listen to