White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post

Has Jim Thome officially retired yet?
The last I heard hes sitting at home with his hand on the receiver.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Let's start with putting Dunn's name 7th.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
WSI Personality

Default New Manager?

I was just thinking that if things continue to get bad and the White Sox keep losing, will we have a new manager replace Ventura by the name of Ozzie Guillen? Years ago the Yankees kept bringing back Billy Martin. And considering the relationship Guillen has had with Reinsdorf, I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie came back here. Ken Williams is no longer the GM and I was under the impression Hahn and Ozzie like each other. This has been a dead White Sox team and they need something to shake them up. Ozzie might be the man to do it.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I was just thinking that if things continue to get bad and the White Sox keep losing, will we have a new manager replace Ventura by the name of Ozzie Guillen? Years ago the Yankees kept bringing back Billy Martin. And considering the relationship Guillen has had with Reinsdorf, I wouldn't be surprised if Ozzie came back here. Ken Williams is no longer the GM and I was under the impression Hahn and Ozzie like each other. This has been a dead White Sox team and they need something to shake them up. Ozzie might be the man to do it.
Oh my God no, we need to move forward!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't think it's out of the question, but not for at least a few more years.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
What the... What? No. What the hell, guys.

Defending Adam Dunn? Proposing the signing of Vlad Guerrero?? Suggesting we bring back Ozzie???

Holy hell. Everybody here is off their rocker. Good lord we need some wins before this fan base goes completely off the deep end.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
As if anyone here has the knowledge to answer this question.

That my first response.

The assumption would be that Ventura or any manager would have the power not to start Dunn in the field or as the DH and using him as a pinch hitter. I don't know if that amounts to benching him. With Beckham out and Viciedo out, that might be impractical.

If Beckham were in the lineup at second, you could use the DH to get both Gillaspie and Keppinger in the lineup. You could use the DH to give Konerko the day off without being stuck with Dunn's defense at first. You could have Viciedo in the lineup without having to worry about his defense in left. Really, I think the White Sox would have a better offense without a fulltime DH. All of those options would provide a better offensive lineup. At the start of the season there were better options than Dunn for the DH role, but there was also the hope that he wasn't going to be the black hole on offense that he was last season and the season before that.

I'm not sure what consequences there would be if Dunn were to become a full-time pinch-hitter instead of a full-time DH, where he hurts the team the least as a starter. Not starting Dunn wouldn't hurt the Sox offensively. Fans seem fed up with seeing him in the lineup, so it couldn't alienate the fanbase. You would be playing one roster spot short, but on the upside, you wouldn't have Dunn in the lineup. I can't imagine it would decrease Dunn's trade value because I can't imagine that such would be possible.

And I'm not sure it would be such as bad thing if Dunn demanded a trade. Unless the rules have changed, if Dunn demanded a trade, and the Sox couldn't accomodate him, he would have the option of abadnoning his contract and becoming a free agent. I can't imagine he would have grounds for grievance if he where benched. If you're hitting less than .220, which has been Dunn's history with the Sox except for a couple of months in 2012, you really can't complain about being benched.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
If you think a .420 OBP in 88 PA was worth it I don't. Not worth having a fight over.
The Sox didn't give anything up to acquire him, and he took at bats away from Mark Kotsay and whoever else wasn't good enough to take at bats away from Mark Kotsay. I don't see the problem with the move then or now, that's all.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Because he was ****ing terrible in 2011 and I'm going to bet that being out of baseball for a year and now playing for the what? Long Island Ducks? Doesn't prepare one to come back to the Majors.
With Dunn in the lineup we currently, basically, have a pitcher hitting cleanup. Vlad can't be worse. Its over for Dunn.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
What the... What? No. What the hell, guys.

Defending Adam Dunn? Proposing the signing of Vlad Guerrero?? Suggesting we bring back Ozzie???

Holy hell. Everybody here is off their rocker. Good lord we need some wins before this fan base goes completely off the deep end.
POTW!!

Nothing is worse than a rainout after a 4 game losing streak - it lets everyone stew just that little bit longer.

Not sure what we can do about Dunn, even during his hot streak, I couldn't see anyone dealing for him due to salary as much as performance.

We're only stuck with him until the end of next season, and if he can get back to his usual level of walks and homers, it would suck but not be the end of the world to keep him. Otherwise the Sox need to eat $25-28M to pay a player not to play for them, which just ain't Jerry's style.

I just don't see what moving guys up and down the order will really accomplish - we have too many poor hitters to hide a guy lower in the order. Having so many "homer or nothing" hitters is an organizational decision.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I was just thinking that if things continue to get bad and the White Sox keep losing, will we have a new manager replace Ventura by the name of Ozzie Guillen?
Good gracious. His ridiculous offensive philosophies and utter inability to judge talent are what started this mess.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
POTW!!

Nothing is worse than a rainout after a 4 game losing streak
Beg to differ - a five game losing streak would be worse.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Good gracious. His ridiculous offensive philosophies and utter inability to judge talent are what started this mess.
LOL - Ozzie didn't sign or trade for any of our players, and he's been gone for almost two years now.

And those ridiculous offensive philosophies helped win us a title.

Where's your "homer or nothing" now?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Has Jim Thome officially retired yet?
Hawk just said Thome was in the clubhouse today...So I'm gonna go ahead and read way more into it than it being a simple friendly visit.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Hawk just said Thome was in the clubhouse today...So I'm gonna go ahead and read way more into it than it being a simple friendly visit.

Hell yea.