Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
See my previous post. There is an experienced Major League hitter out in the world who could help the Sox today if they reached out to him. He's a future HOF'er, and could easily fill in as the DH if Dunn can't get it going.
Carlos Zambrano could easily out hit Dunn and he's a free agent.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Who would be the replacement? You are better off seeing if he can get out of the funk. It's not like they have anything in the wings that would do much better.He should move him down in the order until he shows he is a major league hitter.
ANYONE would be an improvement.

In the 13 months of regular season play while Dunn has been with the Sox- he's had 2 months where he hit .230+ (April/May- 2012), 2 where he hit between .200 and .211, and 9 months <.200, and he is currently hitting less than the aggregation of NL pitchers.

The last time Dunn hit >.235 in a month was July, 2010.

IT IS NOT A FUNK- ITS A MULTI-YEAR TREND.

He is an epic disaster of a signing- and there is zero evidence that he can will come out of this.
MLB Parks Visited: 24
MiLB Parks Visited: 11
Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

With all due respect to RKM, this is like signing the Alomar brothers, Ken Griffey Jr. and Manny Ramirez all over again. The suggestion of signing Vlad just reminds me how stuck in the mud this franchise is right now. They just don't have a hell of a lot of options out there.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI Regular

Of course Robin has the "power" to bench Dunn, or do pretty much anything else he wants with the lineup. He is the manager, no one else is. What it comes down to is Robin's (or his yes-men) resistance/ignorance towards sabermetrics and how badly he wants to avoid conflict with his Boss's, and possibly getting canned.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
With all due respect to RKM, this is like signing the Alomar brothers, Ken Griffey Jr. and Manny Ramirez all over again. The suggestion of signing Vlad just reminds me how stuck in the mud this franchise is right now. They just don't have a hell of a lot of options out there.
Ramirez put up a .420 OBP with the Sox. Ramirez was gold compared Dunn.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

In the 13 months of regular season play while Dunn has been with the Sox- he's had 2 months where he hit .230+ (April/May- 2012), 2 where he hit between .200 and .211, and 9 months <.200, and he is currently hitting less than the aggregation of NL pitchers.

He is an epic disaster of a signing- and there is zero evidence that he can will come out of this.
Amen. That says it all. Enough is enough. .
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Of course Robin has the "power" to bench Dunn, or do pretty much anything else he wants with the lineup. What it comes down to is Robin's (or his yes-men) resistance/ignorance towards sabermetrics and how badly he wants to avoid conflict with his Boss's.
That's funny, I thought the only defense of Dunn was sabermetric. It was certainly the sabermetric types who defended him when people were arguing signing Dunn was a bad move.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Ramirez put up a .420 OBP with the Sox. Ramirez was gold compared Dunn.
I'm not going to defend Dunn, but Ramirez had a total of 17 more ABs in the majors after leaving the Sox. He did nothing much for them, no matter what his OBP was.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
That's funny, I thought the only defense of Dunn was sabermetric. It was certainly the sabermetric types who defended him when people were arguing signing Dunn was a bad move.
Point is, there is nothing remotely sabermetric about hitting Adam Dunn 4th in any lineup, nor is there anything sabermetric about *Manto and others* telling Dunn to walk LESS. Walks are a huge part of Dunn's game, and now he is nothing more than a 1 true outcome guy.

*my opinion*
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Point is, there is nothing remotely sabermetric about hitting Adam Dunn 4th in any lineup, nor is there anything sabermetric about *Manto and others* telling Dunn to walk LESS. Walks are a huge part of Dunn's game, and now he is nothing more than a 1 true outcome guy.

*my opinion*
Well, yeah, at this point there is really no argument that supports Dunn. I'm of the opinion the Sox should just release him, eat his salary and fill roster spot with a minimum salary guy until his contract expires personally.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I'm not going to defend Dunn, but Ramirez had a total of 17 more ABs in the majors after leaving the Sox. He did nothing much for them, no matter what his OBP was.
What's that have to do with what he did with the Sox? I'm no sabermetric guy, but I don't see how you can claim a guy who got on base 42% of the time didn't contribute.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
What's that have to do with what he did with the Sox? I'm no sabermetric guy, but I don't see how you can claim a guy who got on base 42% of the time didn't contribute.
OK I'll try, although it really is a minor matter. RKM suggested that we give Vlad Guerrero a shot to work his way back to the team. I stated that to me it was like revisiting the signings of the Alomars, Griffey Jr. and Manny Ramirez. All productive players past their prime and not worth it IMO. There is nothing Manny did in his short time with the Sox to impress me and he was gone from MLB the next year. If you think a .420 OBP in 88 PA was worth it I don't. Not worth having a fight over.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post

Exactly! anyone that hits .250 will hit 150 points better than Dunn.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
WSI Personality

Maybe a couple of the starting pitchers could hit better than Dunn. I am damn sure Robin could be made playing manager and he could hit at least .200. Harold Baines could still hit .200
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Because he was ****ing terrible in 2011 and I'm going to bet that being out of baseball for a year and now playing for the what? Long Island Ducks? Doesn't prepare one to come back to the Majors.

This made me laugh.

I remember the cold streaks Vlad would go on even in his prime...very Dunn like. He was also an awesome talent to watch when he had it going but at this point those days are probably long gone.

Has Jim Thome officially retired yet?