White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI Guru

Default Does Robin Have The Power?...

To bench Dunn... is a question that has been coming up on the boards in some threads.

I'd like to think he does, but given his salary I can't say this with 100% confidence. There's a chance that he'd be 'over ruled' by the powers that be in my mind.

For what it's worth I asked this question to a source in the media who sees the Sox regularly. In their opinion they feel Robin does have the power to bench Dunn at anytime without fear of being over ruled. They said that Robin has more latitude under Rick Hahn then he would have under Kenny.

Again take the comment for whatever you will.

The next question then would be if he does bench him who do the Sox have to replace him, given the injury list and the lack of talent in the minor leagues?

Lip
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

If he doesn't he's a bad manager since trotting Dunn out there every day means he's not sending his best lineup onto the field.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
MMXXIII

As if anyone here has the knowledge to answer this question.

Maybe Robin knows the only conceivable chance the Sox have this year is to pray to everything holy that Dunn figures out his new approach at the plate and can be a reasonably important weapon for the offense. That isn't going to happen with him riding the pine.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Who would be the replacement? You are better off seeing if he can get out of the funk. It's not like they have anything in the wings that would do much better.He should move him down in the order until he shows he is a major league hitter.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I dont think anyone in this organization has the power to make any type of big decision without consulting the man at the top.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
To bench Dunn... is a question that has been coming up on the boards in some threads.

I'd like to think he does, but given his salary I can't say this with 100% confidence. There's a chance that he'd be 'over ruled' by the powers that be in my mind.

For what it's worth I asked this question to a source in the media who sees the Sox regularly. In their opinion they feel Robin does have the power to bench Dunn at anytime without fear of being over ruled. They said that Robin has more latitude under Rick Hahn then he would have under Kenny.

Again take the comment for whatever you will.

The next question then would be if he does bench him who do the Sox have to replace him, given the injury list and the lack of talent in the minor leagues?

Lip
You've touched on an important issue that the Sox are facing, Lip. Many on this board have clamored for Dunn, Viciedo, and others to be replaced due to lack of production, but this assumes that a suitable replacement is available. The Sox do not have MLB caliber talent at the highest levels of their minor league system that can step in and provide an upgrade over Dunn (as scary as that may be), and aren't likely to for the foreseeable future.

There are experienced hitters currently not employed by a Major League organization. One such person is none other than Vladimir Guerrero, who's currently playing for the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League. Without knowing what his salary demands would be, it may be worth the Sox reaching out to him, as he would almost certainly provide production that surpasses what Dunn brings to the table.

ESPN published an article about Guerrero and Dontrelle Willis signing deals with Long Island earlier this month. Guerrero says he'd like to play in the Major Leagues again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Guerrero
"I grew up with the Montreal Expos and played there for almost 10 years," Guerrero said in a statement. "The fans [in Quebec] are my friends. However, my ultimate goal is to make it back to the major leagues and attempt to reach 500 home runs as soon as possible."
He's not what he used to be. At his peak, he was the best player in baseball in the eyes of many, and I think he could help a club needing an extra bat (as the Sox do now). Were I in Rick Hahn's shoes, I'd contact his people and see if something can be worked out.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI Guru

RK:

That's an interesting perspective.

Lip
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Who would be the replacement? You are better off seeing if he can get out of the funk. It's not like they have anything in the wings that would do much better.He should move him down in the order until he shows he is a major league hitter.
See my previous post. There is an experienced Major League hitter out in the world who could help the Sox today if they reached out to him. He's a future HOF'er, and could easily fill in as the DH if Dunn can't get it going.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
RK:

That's an interesting perspective.

Lip
I think he's worth the risk. I'm biased because I happen to be a fan of his, but having just reviewed his numbers, he's never hit less than .290 over the course of a full season, and even if the best he can provide is production similar to his numbers in 2011, that still represents offense far superior to anything Dunn is giving the Sox at the moment. I'll take a near-.300 batting average.

The only concerns I would have about Vlad would be his contract demands (he wants to play long enough to reach five hundred home runs), as well as his ability to play the field. I would imagine his throwing arm is still above average, but I doubt if he has the range necessary to play either corner position, even on a limited basis. The Sox have too many slow-footed 1B/LF/DH types on their roster as it is, something that has been a problem dating back to when Frank Thomas and Carlos Lee were with the team.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
He's not what he used to be. At his peak, he was the best player in baseball in the eyes of many, and I think he could help a club needing an extra bat (as the Sox do now). Were I in Rick Hahn's shoes, I'd contact his people and see if something can be worked out.

I see I'm going to burning through this GIF this season
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Who would be the replacement?

I'd give Carlos Zambrano a whirl. Not a bad switch hitter, would shake up the clubhouse and might bring fans to the park just to see what he may do. Its a squirrelly idea but with whats going on now, what the hay.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

I see I'm going to burning through this GIF this season
Why are you opposed to the idea, beyond the concerns I outlined about salary and his limited range in the OF.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I think he's worth the risk. I'm biased because I happen to be a fan of his, but having just reviewed his numbers, he's never hit less than .290 over the course of a full season, and even if the best he can provide is production similar to his numbers in 2011, that still represents offense far superior to anything Dunn is giving the Sox at the moment. I'll take a near-.300 batting average.

The only concerns I would have about Vlad would be his contract demands (he wants to play long enough to reach five hundred home runs), as well as his ability to play the field. I would imagine his throwing arm is still above average, but I doubt if he has the range necessary to play either corner position, even on a limited basis. The Sox have too many slow-footed 1B/LF/DH types on their roster as it is, something that has been a problem dating back to when Frank Thomas and Carlos Lee were with the team.
He can't play the field. His power is zapped. He has no speed. His .317 OBP his last season is only .012 higher than Dunn's during Dunn's White Sox career. It's far better to see if Adam can turn it around. Vlad is done or someone would have picked him up last year. Dunn could be Done, but the Sox need to play him to see if he can turn things around. There is no way he's is as bad as he's been thus far.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:18 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Why are you opposed to the idea, beyond the concerns I outlined about salary and his limited range in the OF.
Because he was ****ing terrible in 2011 and I'm going to bet that being out of baseball for a year and now playing for the what? Long Island Ducks? Doesn't prepare one to come back to the Majors.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

We're really worried that the Sox can't find someone to replace a .100 hitter whose power is useless if he can't hit the ball? The longer Dunn gets trotted out there, the better chance of fans feeling like the team has given up. Even if his replacement IS JUST AS BAD..........it's not Dunn. That might be the main thing at this point, sad to say. Fans are fast approaching "ABD" mode (anybody but Dunn). I cringe when I see him in the lineup, let alone at the plate. I haven't looked so forward to a name being left off the lineup card since Julio Ramirez