White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 PM
WSI Prelate

It's amazing that there isn't single major league outfielder in this organization after the starting 3....and the only real prospects, and there aren't many, are years away.
They certainly could have added more depth to this major league team over the winter.
Keppinger looks bad, and should improve, but he's never been particularly good .
Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM
WSI Guru

WhiteSox 5187:

To me it looked like Ramirez nonchalanted it. I agree that a good glove man probably would have had it. Don't know how much Keppinger has played first though.

Tragg:

Bench looks absolutely abysmal. Not even close to major league caliber. As you said, like last year there were some released guys / possible options out there. Sox said no thanks. OK...they have to live with it.

Lip
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
WhiteSox 5187:

To me it looked like Ramirez nonchalanted it. I agree that a good glove man probably would have had it. Don't know how much Keppinger has played first though.

Lip
He non-chalanted it because it was a non-chalant play. Keppinger has 229 innings played at first btw.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI High Priest

So the easily movable object wins out over the very resistible force. I'm not going to hold it against a team that just stinks. At least the pitchers will have plenty of free steak dinners this season.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
It's amazing that there isn't single major league outfielder in this organization after the starting 3....and the only real prospects, and there aren't many, are years away.
They certainly could have added more depth to this major league team over the winter.
Keppinger looks bad, and should improve, but he's never been particularly good .
Maybe so, but I would rather see Jared Mitchelll or Keenan Walker go 0-4 then eVer watch Adam Dunn anymore
Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Dunn hasn't had a hit since April 11 and is in a 0-for-29 slump. 6 hits and 23 K's on the season so far.

Dont forget about the 3 walks hes had so far this year.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 PM
WSI Guru

This and That:

Sox are hitting an A.L. low of .173 batting average with runners in scoring position, which includes an 0-for-2 Saturday.

Dunn is now hitting .098 with 23 strikeouts in 63 at-bats. He has one hit in his last 37 at-bats.

Jeff Keppinger's hitting .159 which includes a current 0-for-21 stretch after an 0-for-16 earlier in the season.

Five players now on the DL, three of them Dayan, Beckham and John Danks are considered important members of the team.

Counting a rehab assignment, they are saying Dayan could be out about three weeks.

Postgame quotes:

"I think (Dunn's) frustrated, anybody would be. This is not the time for guys to start thinking about other things. Just try to do things to help your team win instead of thinking about little individual stuff."--Robin Ventura.

"We live and die with the home run and we just haven't hit many of them here of late. In the games we have won we won it with the long ball."-- Jake Peavy

(And therein lies the problem doesn't it Jake???)

Also Hahn was quoted as saying that there is a temptation to start
exploring other options, but with just about 10 percent of the season played, you can't draw any conclusions about where things sit.

He said he'd prefer to wait about six to eight weeks before drawing any seasonal type conclusions about players.

He was asked about how long is to long to wait and said that it's more of an art (guess?) than a science but admitted that "there does come a point where, for the mix of the ballclub or for the effectiveness of the ballclub, you might have to make some decisions or changes before getting all the way up to what is a sizable enough sample to feel it's scientifically merited."

I take from that, that Hahn would prefer to wait as long as possible but if he feels in his gut the season is heading south, he's not unwilling to start making moves.

Lip
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 AM
WSI High Priest

I suppose it's safe to say that we can't blame Greg Walker. In fact, we owe him an apology, myself included. We could be headed for last place and for a good long time. Too bad, the pitching could be a staff on a pretty good ball team. I wouldn't mind suffering with some kids, if there were any kids. Some of what's here right now is embarrassing. I mean you Adam. No OBP argument to fall back on anymore.

When does the truck start backing up? Will Hahn have the guts? The authority? I eagerly await the answer. Well, not that eagerly, these guys are hard to watch. Any keepers here? I can't honestly name one position player who's a keeper. Possibly the same on the mound. If I said Quintana would you call me crazy?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
13 more strikeouts today.

White Sox baseball...a swing...and a miss!
Strikeouts have been the inevitable result of baseball still coming down from the steroid era; pitchers are as good as they were in the '90s but hitters have lagged far behind now. The Sox have 140 total strikeouts on the season, which isn't anywhere close to the AL league league. They're not even in the top 4 in the AL.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:22 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
I suppose it's safe to say that we can't blame Greg Walker. In fact, we owe him an apology, myself included.
**** that, Walk sucks, his team in Atlanta has much more offensive talent than these Sox, but they're just as poor. More strikeouts, they've just hit more HR. But it's the same offensive philosophy.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Words I never thought I would type: "We miss Beckham's bat." That's how bad it has gotten.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM
WSI Guru

Double:

As you posted a few weeks ago the Sox are striking out more often than anybody else with men on base...when you can't even put the ball in play with guys on you rob yourself of the other team even making an error or a bad throw.

And I think Daver would argue with you on the steroids point. He contends that pitchers juiced just as much as hitters.

Lip
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Strikeouts have been the inevitable result of baseball still coming down from the steroid era; pitchers are as good as they were in the '90s but hitters have lagged far behind now. The Sox have 140 total strikeouts on the season, which isn't anywhere close to the AL league league. They're not even in the top 4 in the AL.
As we've discussed before, strikeouts aren't as much how many as when. We're about middle of the pack in K's in the majors with runners on. Interesting we're last in walks with runners on, and we also have the lowest ground ball to fly ball ratio by any team in the majors by a ton when runners are on (the average is 0.92, the Sox are at 0.52; no other team is lower than 0.69), which means when we get guys on, almost everyone's swinging for the fences.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Double:

As you posted a few weeks ago the Sox are striking out more often than anybody else with men on base...when you can't even put the ball in play with guys on you rob yourself of the other team even making an error or a bad throw.
Actually, we're not. The Sox have 52 K when there are runners on, which is well behind Detroit's 66.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Actually, we're not. The Sox have 52 K when there are runners on, which is well behind Detroit's 66.
Well that's good, we have something.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.