White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the Worst Big Name or Free Agent Signing in White Sox History?
Adam Dunn- .184/.311/.695 over 2+ seasons 58 32.77%
Steve Sax- .236/.289/.603, ended up in LF 4 2.26%
Cory Snyder- .188/.228/.527- completely lost w/WSox 5 2.82%
Jaime Navarro- 25-43, 6.06 ERA, 1.69 WHIP 100 56.50%
Ron Bloomberg- .231-5-22, 3 years, $600K guaranteed 4 2.26%
Other? 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sell Dunn to McDonald's, he becomes the new Hamburgalar, Sox get 25$ Mil guaranteeing a free double cheeseburger for every fan that walks in the gate for the next 10 years.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN, HAHN.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
A .204 average wouldn't be that terrible if more of the hits he did get were for extra bases and came with runners on base.

.204 with 40 homers, 40 doubles, plus 100 walks and 110 RBI would be acceptable.

.204 with 40 homers and just 20 doubles doesn't cut it, especially when you don't play a premium defensive position at a high level.
.204 is never acceptable. Don't forget his .159 in 2011. Worse hitter I've ever watched day to day

1.Cubs

3. Indians

2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Send him to the Astros!

Sox attendence record
5-3 (from St. Louis)

Next game: TBD
Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Sadly the Cubs have no need for Dunn, even if it was for Soriano.

There has to be a team out there needing a 1B (NL) or DH?

Giants? Is Lincecum a bust big enough right now at $20 million to offset?

Just thinking out loud.
I can't see that. I know Brandon Belt is off to a slow start, but his .781 OPS last year was only slightly below Dunn's .801. And Belt plays decent defense and makes only $550K. Even though Lincecum's inconsistency is enough to drive anybody mad, I think I'd bet on him figuring it out over Dunn figuring it out.

I'm afraid the Sox are stuck with Dunn. I was hoping they would trade Dunn this past offseason, but perhaps there was no market for him. If there was no market for him in December, there certainly won't be a market for him now when he's off to a miserable start.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
Sell Dunn to McDonald's, he becomes the new Hamburgalar, Sox get 25$ Mil guaranteeing a free double cheeseburger for every fan that walks in the gate for the next 10 years.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN, HAHN.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:11 PM
WSI High Priest

It's a tough call between Navarro and Dunn. Navarro and his contract were a huge albatross around the neck of the White Sox back in the 90s. To make matters worse, he had a bad attitude. But, at least the Sox were able to salvage that fiasco by trading Navarro to MIL for Valentin and Cal Eldred. Unless the Sox can miraculously pull off something similar with Dunn, I'm giving my vote to the Dunn signing.

One of the worst things about the Navarro FA signing is that Sox ownership took their own stupid decision to throw a lot of money and a long term contract to an unimpressive player like Navarro and used it as an excuse many years afterward of why they won't sigh pitchers to long term contracts.

My concern is that they'll use the same reasoning after the Dunn signing. The Sox tried and failed, therefore they'll never try again. We've already heard some of this logic since 2011: well, the Sox went "all in" and spent a lot of money on a high priced free agent and the fans still didn't show up. Conclusion - Sox fans won't support even a winner. Nevermind that the 2011 team was an utter disappointment and very low expectations drove advanced sales for 2012. In this regard, I think the Dunn signing could haunt the Sox long after his contract is over (just as happened with Navarro).

Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 PM
WSI Guru

Hitman:

Making the Navarro decision even worse was the fact the Sox turned down overtures from Roger Clemens' agents to join up.

"Roger Clemens is over the hill..." -- Ron Schueler.

Turned out he wasn't.

Now you can get all hot and bothered about the possible use of steroids by him but at that time no one knew anything about it in connection with him. For all intents and purposes he was 'clean' at that time based on what was known then.

With them or without them he was still a much better pitcher than Navarro.

Lip
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Dunn was fine last year. .800 OPS from a DH is fine. He had one horrible season in his entire career.
An OPS of exactly .800 isn't great for the guy hitting 4th.

And his OPS after May by month.

June .770
July 788
August 691
September 697

His on base percentage was .333 in June and then hovering around .300 the rest of the year.

Dunn has been atrocious in Chicago outside of his first 170 at bats in 2012.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzer31 View Post
.204 is never acceptable. Don't forget his .159 in 2011. Worse hitter I've ever watched day to day

"Worse than me, even."
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I disagree. KW was a good GM. Sure, he had some misses but he had a lot of hits, too, and a world championship, to boot.

I don't think Dunn is thw worst White Sox free agent signing ever. That would have to be Navarro. But Dunn is one of the most inconsistent, so far.

I have no idea what to make of his slump this year.
This year? His entire time with the Sox has been a slump.

I time my pee breaks not between innings but when he comes up because I can't stand watching him "hit" .
Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM
WSI Personality

0-4 with 3ks, 0- his last 29 and 1-37 last 11 games. BENCH THIS BUM
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

He is truly appears clueless. In the ninth inning he didn't know he had three strikes. Dunn stood outside the box not knowing what was happening and that is not the first time this year he has done that. Fox broadcasters said the same old thing about him, that he has been around and that he'll come out of it. Don't buy it. Time for him to retire. If I were him, I'd work out some kind deal with the Sox instead of embarrassing myself like that. He can't be hurting for money.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
He is truly appears clueless. In the ninth inning he didn't know he had three strikes. Dunn stood outside the box not knowing what was happening and that is not the first time this year he has done that. Fox broadcasters said the same old thing about him, that he has been around and that he'll come out of it. Don't buy it. Time for him to retire. If I were him, I'd work out some kind deal with the Sox instead of embarrassing myself like that. He can't be hurting for money.
He isn't hurting for money but he's not stupid either, he's not going to leave all that money on the table. He really looks like his 2011 performance was not a fluke.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 PM
WSI Regular

While I don't envy the position Ventura is in with this roster, I am about lose all respect for him if he keeps putting an automatic 0 for 4 in the fourth or fifth spot in the batting order. Why have a manager if he is not going to adjust his line up based on player performance?

If Dunn does not retire this homestand, which would make the most sense (why bother going on the next road trip) he will officially become my most hated White Sox player.

Is any local media asking him why he is doing this? I would love to hear his side of this. I'm sure the Sox would give him a chunk of money to go away so it can't be only financial.

If the retirement isn't announced soon the only conclusion to make is that Adam Dunn is content with stealing money from an organization and dragging it down as low as his sub. 100 batting average will allow.

I honestly think he will do the right thing and retire before the next road trip.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
While I don't envy the position Ventura is in with this roster, I am about lose all respect for him if he keeps putting an automatic 0 for 4 in the fourth or fifth spot in the batting order. Why have a manager if he is not going to adjust his line up based on player performance?

If Dunn does not retire this homestand, which would make the most sense (why bother going on the next road trip) he will officially become my most hated White Sox player.

Is any local media asking him why he is doing this? I would love to hear his side of this. I'm sure the Sox would give him a chunk of money to go away so it can't be only financial.

If the retirement isn't announced soon the only conclusion to make is that Adam Dunn is content with stealing money from an organization and dragging it down as low as his sub. 100 batting average will allow.

I honestly think he will do the right thing and retire before the next road trip.
Not a chance he retires. He is not going to walk away from all that money.