White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I agree with you on this except for Rickey wasn't on his own in signing Robinson. He even admitted that if it wasn't for Chandler, Robinson wouldn't have played. I know Robinson wasn't the best player and I realize he was picked for other reasons than his ability. (which I don't know if anyone could have been better) but basically I was hoping for a movie that was more like a documentary. Jackie Robinson had a problem with black players who weren't into civil rights and he looked down upon players who drank or womanized. If I recall correctly, thats why Campanella and Robinson clashed. I do agree with you on Gibson and I worded that wrong earlier but Monte Irvin got shafted. I'm not exactly sure why he said he wasn't in baseball shape because he sure hit well in the Negro Leagues. But I have no reason not to believe you.
Chandler didn't block Rickey's signings of black players as Landis would have. But it wasn't as if Chandler approached Rickey and said it was time he started signing black players. Chandler's cooperation was more of a vacuum where well-document resistance had been under Landis. It should not diminish Rickey's contributions to history.

Monte Irvin was in San Francisco last summer and said he told Rickey he was not in good enough shape to play major league baseball. I didn't get the impression he believed he was shafted.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Chandler didn't block Rickey's signings of black players as Landis would have. But it wasn't as if Chandler approached Rickey and said it was time he started signing black players. Chandler's cooperation was more of a vacuum where well-document resistance had been under Landis. It should not diminish Rickey's contributions to history.

Monte Irvin was in San Francisco last summer and said he told Rickey he was not in good enough shape to play major league baseball. I didn't get the impression he believed he was shafted.
I don't think Branch Rickey's contributions should be diminised but I brought up Rickey and Chandler because the movie 42 kind of portrayed Chandler as a misguided commisioner.I just didn't think it was right that Rickey usually gets 100 percent credit for the Robinson signing. I know he played a big part in getting Robinson signed but that movie really made it look like Rickey was the only one. I understand the movie really can't go into full detail without boring half the audience or prolonging it into a 4 hour movie though. I've stated already I like the movie but I was personally hoping for more.

Like I said before, I have no reason to believe otherwise on what you say about Monte Irvin. I have my opinions and others have they'rs and I respect that.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

At this point, many generations after the fact it seems to me that it is close to impossible to be fair and still criticize the choice of Jackie Robinson to integrate MLB. I will say this, I have tried to corroborate the contentions made here by cws1. At this point, I'm not having any luck but I'll keep trying. Roy Campanella gets a mention here. I have no idea if he was a womanizer, he was married 3 times. Campanella just might be my all time favorite catcher, or at least close to it. Everything I read or learned about him led me believe he had an outgoing live wire kind of personality and was popular with the both fans and teammates. Campanella was a very vocal catcher, not afraid to go out to the mound and chew a pitcher out. He was able to do it in such a way to motivate them. "Hey Nuke. I called for the express and you gave me the local." In 1946 Campanella and Newcombe were teammates for the lower minors then Class B Nashua Dodgers of the New England league. His season there was reported to be mostly trouble free and he even got to manage a few innings when Walter Alston was ejected from a game. Nashua, down by 3 runs was able to come back and win the game. The Boys of Summer were an interesting bunch of guys.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
WSI Regular

All I can say was I wish they were able to go more in depth. I really liked the movie and thought the acting was excellent from a film stand point. The casting was perfect.

Did anybody else really like John C. McGinley as Red Barber? (the announcer) I thought he went above and beyond in his performance.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Ok, old timers and highway buffs, maybe you have the answer to this question.

In the scene leading up to the gas station scene, they show the KC Monarchs bus on the road and the caption said it was on an Interstate highway (I think it said I-24). The Interstate highway system was not created until the late 1950's. Was this a mistake? Was it supposed to be U.S Route XX?

All hail The Rick
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

In the scene leading up to the gas station scene, they show the KC Monarchs bus on the road and the caption said it was on an Interstate highway (I think it said I-24). The Interstate highway system was not created until the late 1950's. Was this a mistake? Was it supposed to be U.S Route XX?
Nice catch. I'm sure it's just a **** up, if it was Interstate 44, that is a real modern-day interstate highway that runs through Missouri, from St. Louis, southwest to Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

0-1

LAST GAME: April 12 - Indians 12, Sox 6
NEXT GAME: April 16 vs. Boston
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

I-24 runs through Nashville and involves a bit of Illinois and Kentucky, and into Georgia. I-44 cuts diagonally across Missouri and is one of the interstates that follows the old heavily traveled U.S. 66 route. Neither existed in the 1940s. The Interstate system was an Eisenhower project begun in the 1950s. When my family was moving from the Chicago area to Dallas at the end of 1964, I-44 wasn't finished yet. I remember my father exclaiming in frustration that they call the good roads 44 nd the bad road 66.

Yes, that would have been a screw up, like having modern-style football goalposts in movies set in the 1960s.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yes, that would have been a screw up, like having modern-style football goalposts in movies set in the 1960s.
Reminds me of this image from the movie "Good Night and Good Luck," which is about Edward R. Murrow's news broadcasts in the early 1950s. Take a look and see if you can see what doesn't belong in 1954 (answer in white below the picture)

Plastic water bottle

I read about the tens of millions of dollars that are spent making a movie and wonder sometimes if any of that money was spent learning about the story they're telling.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Reminds me of this image from the movie "Good Night and Good Luck," which is about Edward R. Murrow's news broadcasts in the early 1950s. Take a look and see if you can see what doesn't belong in 1954 (answer in white below the picture)

I read about the tens of millions of dollars that are spent making a movie and wonder sometimes if any of that money was spent learning about the story they're telling.
Nice catch. I didn't catch it. I did catch when Forest Gump was playing ping pong in the gym, we saw the college three point line. That didn't exist until the mid-80s...
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I-24 runs through Nashville and involves a bit of Illinois and Kentucky, and into Georgia. I-44 cuts diagonally across Missouri and is one of the interstates that follows the old heavily traveled U.S. 66 route. Neither existed in the 1940s. The Interstate system was an Eisenhower project begun in the 1950s. When my family was moving from the Chicago area to Dallas at the end of 1964, I-44 wasn't finished yet. I remember my father exclaiming in frustration that they call the good roads 44 nd the bad road 66.

Or that horrible baseball movie "Rookie of the Year" with the kid who gets surgery on his arm and then pitches for Gary Busey and the Chicago Cubs.

I remember one scene where a left handed batter clearly pulls a pitched ball and the next shot is the 3rd baseman diving for the ball down the left field line.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
Or that horrible baseball movie "Rookie of the Year" with the kid who gets surgery on his arm and then pitches for Gary Busey and the Chicago Cubs.

I remember one scene where a left handed batter clearly pulls a pitched ball and the next shot is the 3rd baseman diving for the ball down the left field line.
The wind was blowing right to left......