White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

First off - People at Cubs game are watching the game. I'll give you they're not all living and dying on every single pitch in a 6-0 game, but who other than a moron would? This whole "nobody watches the game up there" attitude is ridiculous. When the entirety of the stadium cheers after a two run double, it can only be explained by the fact that people are watching the game.

We White Sox fans don't have a monopoly on irrational baseball devotion. Every team, including the Cubs, has a large group of rabid and knowledgable fans, but the successful teams have an even larger group of casual fans.

I just get the feeling some of you guys would rather sit next to a group of empty seats rather than a group of bikini clad knock-outs with less than a total command of baseball strategy.

I'll take the latter, watch the game like always, and have a great time talking with the ladies.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't know. I agree with Lip on this one. Wrigley Field isn't a baseball stadium so much as it is an outdoor hotel bar. I don't have anything against people having fun, but the main reason to go to a baseball game is to watch baseball. People can have fun getting drunk and exposing themselves within the confines of their backyards. There's no reason to spend money to do so at a baseball game.
Oh come on. The majority of my friends are not Sox fans. We usually get a nice group together for 1 or 2 games each year. When we go, we party. Get to the lots when they open, setup the grill and bag boards and start drinking. The game is just the icing on the cake. I'm there to enjoy the weather, be with my friends, drink some beers and watch a game. If I want to go and just concentrate on the game I will either go by myself or with a couple buddies.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
First off - People at Cubs game are watching the game. I'll give you they're not all living and dying on every single pitch in a 6-0 game, but who other than a moron would? This whole "nobody watches the game up there" attitude is ridiculous. When the entirety of the stadium cheers after a two run double, it can only be explained by the fact that people are watching the game.
Don't be so sure. One of my classmates from medical school was determined to prove that Cubs fans are idiots. His GF (now wife) didn't believe him, so he took her to a Cubs-Reds game (he's a Reds fan). The game featured several lead changes, as well as a mammoth home run by (*gasp*) Adam Dunn. Baseball fan or no, anyone would have enjoyed the action. Unfortunately, at least a few fans weren't paying attention.

Seated directly in front of my friend and his GF was a group of four college-age men. They spent most of the game talking about different cup sizes (women's bra), and one of them made the mistake of hitting on my friend's girlfriend. In the eighth inning, one of them looked at his buddies and said, totally serious, "You know what would be really cool? I've always wanted to see the Cubs play the Reds." Even his friends were amazed he could be so clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes
We White Sox fans don't have a monopoly on irrational baseball devotion. Every team, including the Cubs, has a large group of rabid and knowledgable fans, but the successful teams have an even larger group of casual fans.
I don't dispute this. It's absolutely accurate, and I don't mind casual fans attending games as long as they're paying attention to the action. I don't want to see people talking on their cellphone, nor do I want to hear people talking about their neighbors' awful Christmas decorations that are still up. Maybe I just invest in ear plugs.

Quote:
I just get the feeling some of you guys would rather sit next to a group of empty seats rather than a group of bikini clad knock-outs with less than a total command of baseball strategy.
Not at all. I will happily set next to attractive women in bikinis as long as they're willing to make the afternoon about baseball, as opposed to something else. One of my most favorite memories of attending a baseball game happened the summer after I graduated from college. The woman I was dating at the time had never seen a baseball game and wanted to go, so I happily brought her with me to an Indianapolis Indians game (I lived twenty minutes from Victory Field, where they play).

She spent the entire evening asking me questions about baseball- it's rules, history, etc. By the end of the night, she had a reasonably good grasp of the most basic rules. I had to explain in more detail about things like balks, the infield fly rule, etc. For the rest of the summer, she took every opportunity to watch baseball with me because she thought the game was interesting (it was also a great chance for us to be together, too). Our careers and lives have since taken us to different places, but we've stayed friends, and when we see each other, the conversation always turns to baseball, as she probably knows more about the game now than I do.

Quote:
I'll take the latter, watch the game like always, and have a great time talking with the ladies.
See above.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Oh come on. The majority of my friends are not Sox fans. We usually get a nice group together for 1 or 2 games each year. When we go, we party. Get to the lots when they open, setup the grill and bag boards and start drinking. The game is just the icing on the cake. I'm there to enjoy the weather, be with my friends, drink some beers and watch a game. If I want to go and just concentrate on the game I will either go by myself or with a couple buddies.
No, not come on. I know what I like, and when I go to a baseball game, I want to watch baseball. I'm happy to bring friends along who aren't baseball fans (see my earlier post), provided that they are willing to at least appear interested in what's happening on the field.

Maybe I'm just being an ******* when it comes to things like this (it wouldn't be the first time I've rubbed people the wrong way around here). I just believe that a baseball game should be about baseball. That doesn't mean there's not a place for other things, but they should never supplant what's happening between the lines.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Don't be so sure. One of my classmates from medical school was determined to prove that Cubs fans are idiots. His GF (now wife) didn't believe him, so he took her to a Cubs-Reds game (he's a Reds fan). The game featured several lead changes, as well as a mammoth home run by (*gasp*) Adam Dunn. Baseball fan or no, anyone would have enjoyed the action. Unfortunately, at least a few fans weren't paying attention.
[clip the remainder]

Yours is an unrealistic view of a crowd at a sporting event. I do not doubt this event happened, as we have all seen it at a number of games, because those peopel *are* there, at every stadium. But the overall generalization is just offbase.

Also,

And agree on King's "some of you would rather be next to empty seats" comment. We saw that on these boards in 2006, and see it on occasion when the park is packed.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I'm not sure if you're using this image because you're scolding me or because you're calling me old. If you are calling me old, I hope you don't mind if I take it as a compliment, as I get asked at least once a week about "what grade I'm in." It's gotten to the point where I'm actually happy if I see one or two strands of gray hair nestled amongst the black.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Not trying to flame the fires of fandom, but walk around the concourse at the Cell oh, say the 4th or 5th inning. Tons of people out there not watching the game. So, both sides have their hardcore fans, both sides have people that go just to bull****.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're using this image because you're scolding me or because you're calling me old. If you are calling me old, I hope you don't mind if I take it as a compliment, as I get asked at least once a week about "what grade I'm in." It's gotten to the point where I'm actually happy if I see one or two strands of gray hair nestled amongst the black.
Not calling you old, just saying it's the "old-tyme" philosophy.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Not trying to flame the fires of fandom, but walk around the concourse at the Cell oh, say the 4th or 5th inning. Tons of people out there not watching the game. So, both sides have their hardcore fans, both sides have people that go just to bull****.
The same as any fanbase - totally agree. There is really nothing special about Sox fans in that regard. One could argue that the % of fans at a particular game that are there solely for the game and pay a ton of attention is higher at the Cell, if that makes one feel better, but I am not even sure that is true. Sox fans ripping on the Chads and Trixies at Wrigley is a good way to dig at die hard Cubs fans, but really, I don't see that numbers would support such contentions.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post

I don't understand that mindset. Why would people pay an awful lot of money for tickets, parking, gas or carfare and hardly watch the game. Just head down to corner saloon and save a lot of $$. As for me the only thing that matters is the White Sox and the game. 67 years old and I thought the day would come that it didn't matter if the Sox won or lost, that has not happened yet, when the Sox have a real late game I will get up about 3:30 am for a latrine break I make sure to check my I pod to see how the Sox did.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That absolutely cannot be an accurate figure. 40%?! I'd even find half that to be implausible (I think).
Quote:
I agree. Even if one takes into account the people from northern Indiana who attend Cubs fans, it's hard to believe that one or two of every five are from there. I suppose a small pocket of fans might come from southern Wisconsin, as well, but that still doesn't seem like an accurate number.
37%
http://chicagoist.com/2011/07/25/cub...percent_of.php
Old 04-18-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I don't understand that mindset. Why would people pay an awful lot of money for tickets, parking, gas or carfare and hardly watch the game. Just head down to corner saloon and save a lot of $$. As for me the only thing that matters is the White Sox and the game. 67 years old and I thought the day would come that it didn't matter if the Sox won or lost, that has not happened yet, when the Sox have a real late game I will get up about 3:30 am for a latrine break I make sure to check my I pod to see how the Sox did.
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of people who do enjoy doing that.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
I'll be damned.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Because going to the park is something to do, an experience to be shared with others. To be honest, if I just wanted to watch the Sox and zone everything else out THAT'S what I'd rather do at home or the corner bar.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Because it's a fun experience for a lot of people. For us, of course, it's like going to a funeral with concessions.