White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 03:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It would be a dramatic change from the Sox current marketing campaign of focusing exclusively on the game and players and it cannot hurt the bottom line to market to more people.
And as the game and players aren't exactly enticing to fans right now, maybe they should try to shift the focus to something else.

"You're crazy, Ravi! Do you really think I'm going to market Italian beef and giant pretzels? Ha! I won't have Brooks change our marketing approach until your sorry ass comes to a game. You don't deserve an alternative marketing strategy."
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well those folks are going to come out based on winning and losing anyway. It can't hurt to market the team to a more casual fan who is looking for those other things. Maybe an ad with a video of young attractive people cooling off in the shower on a hot summer day. Show a father sharing a foul ball they caught with their young child then close with a family package deal announcement. Heck a walk down the main concourse showing all the various food options.

It would be a dramatic change from the Sox current marketing campaign of focusing exclusively on the game and players and it cannot hurt the bottom line to market to more people.
I agree with focusing on families. The Sox probably will never attract a young, single crowd because of Bridgeport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I agree with focusing on families. The Sox probably will never attract a young, single crowd because of Bridgeport.
And because Arne Harris and WGN spent decades showing us little else than attractive, bikini-topped women at Cubs games.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I was in that area not that long ago, and I was impressed with the renovations that have been done. It's nicer than I remember.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Don't just target families - target everyone.

By the way, I was driving in and listening to WSCR, and evidently the "face of the franchise" stepped in it again in regards to Sabermetrics. Naturally he had to lead in to his explanation by telling of his 54+ years in baseball covering all or parts of seven decades.

The single biggest marketing improvement is an easy move to make.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
Don't just target families - target everyone.

By the way, I was driving in and listening to WSCR, and evidently the "face of the franchise" stepped in it again in regards to Sabermetrics. Naturally he had to lead in to his explanation by telling of his 54+ years in baseball covering all or parts of seven decades.

The single biggest marketing improvement is an easy move to make.
I'm not going to get into the numerous problems imposed by Hawk being the face of the franchise (someone posted pictures of him wearing a hood a few years ago, and he looked like Palpatine), but it would seem that if the Sox want to attract more fans, what you're suggesting is the best way to do it. Cast a wider net to catch more fish. It's not a great long-term plan, as fans won't support a mediocre team, but it may help over a period of a few seasons.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

There's just nothing to do near the Cell if the game isn't going on. You're more apt to wind up on my buddy Jeff's front lawn than you are to find a place to eat or grab a beer. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Sox games, but I can see why the casual folks avoid the place. The only option before the game is to tailgate in the lot, (which you're shagged out of out like cattle at 7:10), or to go to Bacardi, which doesn't open until about 3 for a night game. Nothing is open immediately around the park when the sox aren't in town or during the offseason, so that doesn't attract anybody to the area either (not that there's a lot to see). There's really nothing the Sox can do about that. Casual fans like to make "a day" out of going to a ballgame. Can't do that at the Cell. I was there for a 1:00 game last year and they were kicking people out at 4......... who is going to "drive in from Iowa" for 3 hours?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
Casual fans like to make "a day" out of going to a ballgame. Can't do that at the Cell. I was there for a 1:00 game last year and they were kicking people out at 4......... who is going to "drive in from Iowa" for 3 hours?
And people shouldn't cite stadiums in other cities as evidence that a ballmall can be built off an expressway near nothing. Most/all of those cities don't have a viable alternative with a much better outside-the-park experience 10 miles away.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is a bit off point, but does anybody know how long the stadium lease runs?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
And people shouldn't cite stadiums in other cities as evidence that a ballmall can be built off an expressway near nothing. Most/all of those cities don't have a viable alternative with a much better outside-the-park experience 10 miles away.
Or other activities, period. Chicago is Chicago.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Or other activities, period. Chicago is Chicago.
Not that space was necessarily available at the time, but how awesome would a park near Roosevelt/State have been today?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
WSI Guru

King:

I think until 2026.

Lip
Old 04-17-2013, 07:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thanks Lip.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Alot of people keep bringing up attendance issues at the Cell. The bad guys on the Northside keep saying that 40% of their attendance comes from out of state. We obviously don't get those type of numbers at the Cell. If you take away the out of towners our attendance is basically the same as the bad guys on the Northside. Also when you stop and consider the fact that the White Sox fanbase is no longer in the neighborhoods of the Southside of Chicago, I really don't think our attendance is that bad. If the White Sox draw 2 million people a year, I really think that's a good number when you account for the fact that probably 85% of those people attending White Sox games are from somewhere else other than the Southside of Chicago.
So who are the people on the Southside of Chicago rooting for? The Sox need to expand the fan base.

Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That absolutely cannot be an accurate figure. 40%?! I'd even find half that to be implausible (I think).
There was an article in the Trib about it last offseason, I believe. They made reference to that 40% number. Having a national following due to WGN for the last 30 years and the fact that there are a lot of bars and restaurants around the stadium make it an easy choice for out of state visitors who don't have access to live MLB to want to go to Wrigley and experience it.

Bob