White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
I do agree 100% with you on the dead zone around the park. You're not going to have a Wrigleyville-type of development due to the fact that the neighborhood doesn't consist of high density population which keeps those places going during away games and the off season, but I would have thought by now you'd see destination locations (restaurants and such) popping up in the general vicinity of the park.
We *still* hear from people - especially visitors to the city and transplants now living here - that the area is dangerous. The lack of these types of things only contributes to that notion, especially when the other park has a vibrant business area around it. Which would you choose for a trip/team to root for? The "fun and safe" area around Wrigley, or the bland and "dangerous" area around the Cell?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
WSI Personality

Default Dead Zone

Alot of people keep bringing up attendance issues at the Cell. The bad guys on the Northside keep saying that 40% of their attendance comes from out of state. We obviously don't get those type of numbers at the Cell. If you take away the out of towners our attendance is basically the same as the bad guys on the Northside. Also when you stop and consider the fact that the White Sox fanbase is no longer in the neighborhoods of the Southside of Chicago, I really don't think our attendance is that bad. If the White Sox draw 2 million people a year, I really think that's a good number when you account for the fact that probably 85% of those people attending White Sox games are from somewhere else other than the Southside of Chicago.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The bad guys on the Northside keep saying that 40% of their attendance comes from out of state.
That absolutely cannot be an accurate figure. 40%?! I'd even find half that to be implausible (I think).
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
That absolutely cannot be an accurate figure. 40%?! I'd even find half that to be implausible (I think).
I agree. Even if one takes into account the people from northern Indiana who attend Cubs fans, it's hard to believe that one or two of every five are from there. I suppose a small pocket of fans might come from southern Wisconsin, as well, but that still doesn't seem like an accurate number.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Depends if you include Wisconsin and NE Indiana. They also have a large fanbase in Iowa and draw well with visiting team fans. Heck most summer series against St. Louis are about 30% or more Cardinals' fans. That's before you factor in casual tourism. I agree the number is probably high, but like it or not Wrigley is a place of destination for tourists too.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Depends if you include Wisconsin and NE Indiana. They also have a large fanbase in Iowa and draw well with visiting team fans. Heck most summer series against St. Louis are about 30% or more Cardinals' fans. That's before you factor in casual tourism. I agree the number is probably high, but like it or not Wrigley is a place of destination for tourists too.
Ah, forgot about visiting fans for fairly close sports teams, though a portion of those live here, as well. Still, averaging 14,000 non-Illinois fans each game? That is not happening.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
Voodoo - Great to hear from you. I think we're on the same page.

I'm not a marketing whiz myself, but I do think they need to stop marketing every game as a battle, every season as a war, and each player as a warrior.

I agree the White Sox are in a big hole, but a bit of it is their own making. Obviously the Cubs have a big advantage, but instead of trying to differentiate themselves, they flirted with going head-on against them. Sponsors (WLUP years ago and the Southtown as well) started running direct confrontational ads involving the Cubs and White Sox (and believe me I posted against those when they were taking place). It made the White Sox organization look small, and I don't think it paid any dividends over the long haul.

White Sox fans know they have a great stadium, an entertaining team and certainly a fan base large enough to support the franchise. Capitalize on those elements, and stop making it a win/loss or life/death situation.

It's baseball, and it's a good time win or lose - that's the message which needs to get out there.

I do agree 100% with you on the dead zone around the park. You're not going to have a Wrigleyville-type of development due to the fact that the neighborhood doesn't consist of high density population which keeps those places going during away games and the off season, but I would have thought by now you'd see destination locations (restaurants and such) popping up in the general vicinity of the park.
I think a lot of this sentiment is the fault of the fan base for having reactionary Cub envy. We've always had the attitude that winning trumps all. "Yeah, you may have fun drinking all day in the sun and looking at hot chicks, but you suck. Winning is everything. We refuse to have fun unless we're winning. You know nothing about baseball." I don't know that this can ever change or if it even should.

I do agree with getting rid of Hawk, but its not for his baseball knowledge. He's a polarizing, grumpy, often mean spirited, *******. You can't have a guy like that be the face of the franchise.

I really don't have any of the answers, but identifying the problems is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think a lot of that comes from vacationers who aren't even Cub fans but want to check out a ball game. Wrigley is a smelly, awful dump, but it is historic. There's no denying that.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
I think a lot of that comes from vacationers who aren't even Cub fans but want to check out a ball game. Wrigley is a smelly, awful dump, but it is historic. There's no denying that.
Oh, I realize that, but it's still not going to add up to that percentage of attendees.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I realize that, but it's still not going to add up to that percentage of attendees.
Not every day, at least. I can see it happening during the summer months or around holiday weekends, but no more than that. People aren't going to be traveling as much while school is in session, or while it's still cold in Chicago.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with you there.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

I also don't believe hardcore Cub fans outnumber hardcore Sox fans. They just absolutely destroy us with the casual fan.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I also don't believe hardcore Cub fans outnumber hardcore Sox fans. They just absolutely destroy us with the casual fan.
Exactly true
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If you include casual city fans then I think you get to the 40% mark, but yeah, that's not out of towners.

At my company, when someone offers up their Cubs tickets for the night, you'll have at least 5-10 people bite. Do the same with the Sox and you'll hear nothing but crickets.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
I think a lot of this sentiment is the fault of the fan base for having reactionary Cub envy. We've always had the attitude that winning trumps all. "Yeah, you may have fun drinking all day in the sun and looking at hot chicks, but you suck. Winning is everything. We refuse to have fun unless we're winning. You know nothing about baseball." I don't know that this can ever change or if it even should.

I do agree with getting rid of Hawk, but its not for his baseball knowledge. He's a polarizing, grumpy, often mean spirited, *******. You can't have a guy like that be the face of the franchise.

I really don't have any of the answers, but identifying the problems is a good start.
Well those folks are going to come out based on winning and losing anyway. It can't hurt to market the team to a more casual fan who is looking for those other things. Maybe an ad with a video of young attractive people cooling off in the shower on a hot summer day. Show a father sharing a foul ball they caught with their young child then close with a family package deal announcement. Heck a walk down the main concourse showing all the various food options.

It would be a dramatic change from the Sox current marketing campaign of focusing exclusively on the game and players and it cannot hurt the bottom line to market to more people.