White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
To be fair, I don't think police were called, Police generally are on site for player protection, and they just intervened.
Correct. I should have worded that differently. I mean that they were called to the scene, as they may have been elsewhere and subsequently summoned to the area near the clubhouses.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM
WSI Prelate

For anyone who believes that my comments about Konerko were out of line, I invite you to view this thread (Konerko Says Royce is His Choice at SS), as well as this one (Konerko on Ordonez: He's the Best). The venom directed toward Paul Konerko in either of these cases equals and perhaps surpasses mine.

There's also this thread (Konerko Quote on All Star Pods), for anyone who's not convinced by the first two. Finally, there's even a thread (Konerko Calls Out Uribe for Deking Lee) involving the Chicago Cubs and the Urinal, brought to you by Paul Konerko.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

The 2 things I learned in this: Greinke is tougher than I thought. Quentin fights like a girl.

Charging the mound is bull****. If the Padres thought Greinke was throwing at them, there are other avenues to pay it back. It's the NL. He has to bat too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
The 2 things I learned in this: Greinke is tougher than I thought. Quentin fights like a girl.

Charging the mound is bull****. If the Padres thought Greinke was throwing at them, there are other avenues to pay it back. It's the NL. He has to bat too.
I don't think the Padres thought Greinke was throwing at them as much as Quentin thought Greinke was throwing at him, and he charged the mound before anyone had time to think about payback. It's possible that the Padres throw at Greinke during his next plate appearance, but Quentin's antics made that impossible, and it's unlikely they do anything once Greinke is playing again.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
For anyone who believes that my comments about Konerko were out of line, I invite you to view this thread (Konerko Says Royce is His Choice at SS), as well as this one (Konerko on Ordonez: He's the Best). The venom directed toward Paul Konerko in either of these cases equals and perhaps surpasses mine.

There's also this thread (Konerko Quote on All Star Pods), for anyone who's not convinced by the first two. Finally, there's even a thread (Konerko Calls Out Uribe for Deking Lee) involving the Chicago Cubs and the Urinal, brought to you by Paul Konerko.
I guess I don't get the point in most of those. The Pods one was a non story when you got the entire quote, the Magglio thing, who cares if PK thinks Magglio was a better teammate than Frank Thomas. I loved Thomas a fan, it was not like he had a bunch of guys jumping up to defend him. Thomas had plenty of nicknames, and was a big personality in the clubhouse and PK called him out on it.

Maybe, what you could do is get all these quotes together and send them to Skip Bayless. Then, when Skip goes after PK, you can have a message tweeted to him about how Skip Bayless looks like Beavis. Since Konerko does not shy away from a microphone, he will bring this to the world's attention, and your 2 arch enemies of life will be at war with each other, offering you the chance of supreme victory and global domination.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I don't think the Padres thought Greinke was throwing at them as much as Quentin thought Greinke was throwing at him, and he charged the mound before anyone had time to think about payback. It's possible that the Padres throw at Greinke during his next plate appearance, but Quentin's antics made that impossible, and it's unlikely they do anything once Greinke is playing again.
I thought it was pretty obvious I was implying Quentin represents the Padres as a whole.

Even if it was intentional, throwing at hitters is part if the game. It gives pitchers a competitive advantage. There are plenty of ways to retaliate without charging the mound.

Quentin's lucky Kemp doesn't play in the infield.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I guess I don't get the point in most of those. The Pods one was a non story when you got the entire quote, the Magglio thing, who cares if PK thinks Magglio was a better teammate than Frank Thomas. I loved Thomas a fan, it was not like he had a bunch of guys jumping up to defend him. Thomas had plenty of nicknames, and was a big personality in the clubhouse and PK called him out on it.

Maybe, what you could do is get all these quotes together and send them to Skip Bayless. Then, when Skip goes after PK, you can have a message tweeted to him about how Skip Bayless looks like Beavis. Since Konerko does not shy away from a microphone, he will bring this to the world's attention, and your 2 arch enemies of life will be at war with each other, offering you the chance of supreme victory and global domination.
PK used to generate a lot of debate on this board pre 2005. A lot of posters hated him and some his quotes were a major reason why they did.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
The problem with the Thomas scenario is that Konerko shouldn't have been talking to the media about anything that happens in the Sox clubhouse, regardless of what questions he was asked. I'm not a baseball player, but I seem to remember learning that what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. Konerko apparently never learned that rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeShot17
I know you meant this as a joke, but it's not a bad idea. It would actually be pretty funny to see the two of them face-off. It's too bad Kenny Williams isn't the GM anymore, as I'm sure he'd get involved one way or another.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
PK used to generate a lot of debate on this board pre 2005. A lot of posters hated him and some his quotes were a major reason why they did.
PK's willingness to call out Frank Thomas when he did raised my respect for PK. I loved Big Frank - but he could be an ass. If I recall correctly, most of PK's teammates also respected PK for calling out the prima donna.

Much like Dan Hampton calling out Jim McMahon back in '86 or so.

Some guys deserve to be called out - even if they are a teammate.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fram40 View Post
PK's willingness to call out Frank Thomas when he did raised my respect for PK. I loved Big Frank - but he could be an ass. If I recall correctly, most of PK's teammates also respected PK for calling out the prima donna.

Much like Dan Hampton calling out Jim McMahon back in '86 or so.

Some guys deserve to be called out - even if they are a teammate.
People always cite this as the reason why Frank deserved to be criticized. When has Frank ever acted like an ass? For that matter, when has he ever said anything negative about a teammate? It's always seemed to me that Frank's teammates had a problem with him, rather than the other way around. I don't remember Frank ever instigating anything, and in the event that he did say something, it was usually in response to something a teammate said first.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 PM
WSI Personality

Keri linked to this on Grantland:

http://www.southsideasylum.com/2013/...nke-fight.html

I think this is an excellent analysis of the situation and that the comments are pretty intelligent.

If i'm Quentin, and with the history of getting hit three times by this guy and watching several of my teammates get hit as well, my initial conclusion is going to be that Grienke threw at me intentionally. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about game situation or anything like that.

He obviously shouldn't have charged the mound and he's obviously in the wrong, but again--Grienke could have avoided the whole situation if he had wanted to.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

I think this is an excellent analysis of the situation and that the comments are pretty intelligent.

If i'm Quentin, and with the history of getting hit three times by this guy and watching several of my teammates get hit as well, my initial conclusion is going to be that Grienke threw at me intentionally. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about game situation or anything like that.

He obviously shouldn't have charged the mound and he's obviously in the wrong, but again--Grienke could have avoided the whole situation if he had wanted to.
Thanks for sharing that. I'm with TCQ.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I'm with TCQ.
Same here. Makes sense.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

Reading that only reminded me of why I didn't jump on the "Quentin is a thug" bandwagon. It's easy for those of us watching what happened that night judge. But as was written in that article, there is a history that a lot of people in this thread aren't taking into consideration. I'm not condoing Quentin charging the mound, but I can definitely understand why he did. I mean, and it's been said before here...he's been hit over a hunfred times in his career, but so there had to be a reason he chose this time to charge the mound.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-14-2013, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quentin Drops Appeal & Will Serve Suspension

I can't wait to hear what Mattingly says about this. As for what I have to say, well, it would probably violate the rules of this site. Use your imagination.