White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the Worst Big Name or Free Agent Signing in White Sox History?
Adam Dunn- .184/.311/.695 over 2+ seasons 58 32.77%
Steve Sax- .236/.289/.603, ended up in LF 4 2.26%
Cory Snyder- .188/.228/.527- completely lost w/WSox 5 2.82%
Jaime Navarro- 25-43, 6.06 ERA, 1.69 WHIP 100 56.50%
Ron Bloomberg- .231-5-22, 3 years, $600K guaranteed 4 2.26%
Other? 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
How did you come up with that calculation?

$20 million in 1997, with inflation, would be around $30 million in 2013.

$56 million in 2013 would have been worth about $38 million in 1997.
While I think 4 years, $80 million for Navarro is an exaggeration, to say that the baseball market has outpaced inflation since 1997 would be quite the understatement.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 PM
WSI High Priest

[QUOTE=DSpivack;3041244]While I think 4 years, $80 million for Navarro is an exaggeration, to say that the baseball market has outpaced inflation since 1997 would be quite the understatement.[/QUOTE

I agree

I would think given Navarro's age and previous couple seasons, the contract he received from the Sox, had it happened in 2010, would have neen very similar to the amount they are paying Dunn. I think , at least for this particular argument, the contracts are non factors. Pretty much a wash.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Navarro was AWFUL. But we were able to absorb his salary and trade him. Dunn is untradable and is just a vortex of sucktitude. Although congrats to him on winning comeback player of year. Imagine of he hit 270 this year he could win it again. But the contract has hampered the team and made us into a team that will not make the playoffs as long as he's here. He's so one dimensional it's pathetic.

It would not be a complete thread without a reminder to Tdog about the original thread.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ight=Adam+dunn
Old 04-13-2013, 04:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Navarro or Dunn? Electric chair or lethal injection?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:55 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
But the contract has hampered the team and made us into a team that will not make the playoffs as long as he's here. He's so one dimensional it's pathetic.

It would not be a complete thread without a reminder to Tdog about the original thread.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ight=Adam+dunn
You're putting the lack of success all on Dunn? Thats crazy. He makes 14 milion a year, thats not crazy money. More important reasons on why we haven't had success lately. Peavy missing half his starts in 2010 and 11 didn't help those seasons. Danks missing almost all of last season probably changes things. How about Beckham being a major dissapointment and not really having a 3B for a few years now. Hell our overall drafting in general. Yes Dunn has been a let down but to put the blame on him only is crazy.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI Personality

Default Adam Dunn, Part 2

Adam Dunn is not only the worse all around player the White Sox have had in my lifetime, he's the worse cleanup hitter we've ever had. It looks like his batting average this year will be lower than what it was in 2011. I think Ventura is playing him at first base hoping this might stimulate him to go on to bigger and better things offensively. It isn't happening. Dunn is done as a productive major league hitter.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yes. I'm young so I don't remember White Sox baseball before 2003 very well. Adam Dunn is mostly strikeout/occasionally home run now. He's awful, has never had a batting average over .220, and was given a bunch of money to suck.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned

Can we finally put to bed the myth that Kenny Williams was some supposed genius?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
You're putting the lack of success all on Dunn? Thats crazy. He makes 14 milion a year, thats not crazy money. More important reasons on why we haven't had success lately. Peavy missing half his starts in 2010 and 11 didn't help those seasons. Danks missing almost all of last season probably changes things. How about Beckham being a major dissapointment and not really having a 3B for a few years now. Hell our overall drafting in general. Yes Dunn has been a let down but to put the blame on him only is crazy.
I agree with you (esp on peavy). But you have to wonder what the team is thinking with giving that much money to a guy who is lazy. His offseason lack of professional training and batting is hindering this team as the designated out. He is a big donkey all right. His work ethic is pathetic and I just hope the team can trade him for a Jose Valentin type deal. It is not be his fault entirely, but to never have played in a playoff game and been on 1 winning season has to be on him more than he accepts or others are willing to give him. Just a selfish and lazy player
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Adam Dunn's act is starting to make me almost like and respect Claudell Washington.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Bloomberg. I had completey forgotten he had ever played for the Sox until I read about it in Sox histroy.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:36 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Bloomberg. I had completey forgotten he had ever played for the Sox until I read about it in Sox histroy.
Bloombergs 9th inning homer in the 9th on opening day 1978 made me forget about Zisk and Gamble for 1 day.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Can we finally put to bed the myth that Kenny Williams was some supposed genius?
I don't blame KW, I blame Dunn himself. Pre-2011, Dunn's numbers were remarkably consistent. Now if you assume those numbers will start off with that consistency, and then add in the pro-offense of The Cell for 82 games, and the fact that he could be a DH for 150, and not hurt your defense, I would have signed Dunn too.

The downward slide of the backend of Dunn's career, the health issues, the mental issues or whatever, Dunn is to blame and not KW.

The choice here is Navarro, by a long shot! If you are going to pitch bad, own up to it, don't blame your teammates. Look at Barry Zito, how he has become an asset to the Giants after failing miserably after signing that huge FA contract.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Bad as Dunn has been, I gotta go with Navarro.

I always thought that the signing of Jaime Navarro was JR's knee-jerk reaction to the Cubs' swooping in and signing Kevin Tapani from the Sox. As such, I think JR let his emotions get the best of him by overpaying AND going (for him) so long, as if to say "I'll show THEM how to sign a FA pitcher"

And a really bad choice it was, even though it eventually did lead to Jose Valentin, who was one of my favorites while with the Sox. I was there for his 3-HR game in Kansas City, too.

SMO
Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 AM
WSI Regular

Another bad part of the Jaime Navarro signing was the Sox chose him over Roger Clemens. True, it was the washed-up, pre-steroid Roger Clemens but still.