White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Something I noticed and will probably be paying more attention to in the future is look at the catcher and where he set up. He sets up low and outside ZG misses up and in. Thats a pretty big miss by ZG.
Completely accidental, I'm sure. Don Mattingly said so, along with a whole bunch of experts in this thread.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Something I noticed and will probably be paying more attention to in the future is look at the catcher and where he set up. He sets up low and outside ZG misses up and in. Thats a pretty big miss by ZG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
Completely accidental, I'm sure. Don Mattingly said so, along with a whole bunch of experts in this thread.
Hey, that pitch just got away from him. Everybody is sayign so. Not intentional. What do you guys know?

Seriously, I don't know if he meant to hit him with that pitch or not. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that he did.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Mattingly isn't infallible, and I don't think anyone here believes that he is. Having said that, I can't think of anyone who epitomized what it meant to play the game of baseball the right way more than Don Mattingly during his career with the Yankees. Everybody respected him. If he says that he didn't think the hit batsman was intentional, I believe him.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Anyone defending Quentin here is doing so because he played for the White Sox at one point, plain and simple.

I loved Carlos for his time on the Sox, I like Greinke just fine, but Q overreacted to the situation (as he is very well known to do) and it was bad.

I think Kemp should have gotten a game, but I would want my teammate to be that heated too if it was me.

Whatever, it plays out the Quentin will miss a week, and Greinke essentially gets an 8 week suspension, not exactly justice.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Anyone defending Quentin here is doing so because he played for the White Sox at one point, plain and simple.

I loved Carlos for his time on the Sox, I like Greinke just fine, but Q overreacted to the situation (as he is very well known to do) and it was bad.

I think Kemp should have gotten a game, but I would want my teammate to be that heated too if it was me.

Whatever, it plays out the Quentin will miss a week, and Greinke essentially gets an 8 week suspension, not exactly justice.
I agree, and I'm surprised no suspension was issued, especially after law enforcement was used to keep him away from Quentin following the game.

I don't know that people are defending Quentin solely because he played for the White Sox, although that seems to be why Paul Konerko decided to spill his guts (again) to reporters yesterday, in spite of the fact that no other Major League players not playing for Los Angeles or San Diego have weighed in on the subject. I won't repeat what I called Konerko earlier because I promised that I wouldn't, but I maintain that he should shut the **** up. He just can't help himself anytime someone sticks an elongated, cylindrical object near his mouth.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post

I don't know that people are defending Quentin solely because he played for the White Sox, although that seems to be why Paul Konerko decided to spill his guts (again) to reporters yesterday, in spite of the fact that no other Major League players not playing for Los Angeles or San Diego have weighed in on the subject. I won't repeat what I called Konerko earlier because I promised that I wouldn't, but I maintain that he should shut the **** up. He just can't help himself anytime someone sticks an elongated, cylindrical object near his mouth.
Oh, bull****, he's asked a question and he answered it truthfully. Imagine what a world we live in where people are scolded for displaying candor with the press instead of the usual half-assed, bull**** answers we're used to being fed.

I don't even think you understand the definition of a "whore," anyway. What is Konerko's long term pay off here? Is he angling to land some kind of huge TV show deal when his playing days are over? Or is he just a guy who answers questions honestly when asked of him? What a douchebag!!!

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Oh sweet jeebus, give it a rest. I wish more athletes gave a straight answer when asked a question.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oh, bull****, he's asked a question and he answered it truthfully. Imagine what a world we live in where people are scolded for displaying candor with the press instead of the usual half-assed, bull**** answers we're used to being fed.

I don't even think you understand the definition of a "whore," anyway. What is Konerko's long term pay off here? Is he angling to land some kind of huge TV show deal when his playing days are over? Or is he just a guy who answers questions honestly when asked of him? What a douchebag!!!
ala Lovie Smith? or the "upper body injury" hockey coaches talk about.

Konerko was asked a question abut an ex-teammate and he answered it honestly. From his POV - relating his history as TCQ's teammate and a longtime Grienke opponent. And some are giving PK grief over this? Wow.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Let me be absolutely clear. I don't have a problem with Konerko answering a question truthfully. My problem stems for his discussing it at all, given that no one not wearing a Padres or Dodgers uniform has spoken about it. I know that Quentin and Konerko were teammates, and I don't have a problem with Paul wanting to offer support for someone whom he may consider a friend. What I don't like, however, is that Konerko chose to provide extended commentary on a subject that had nothing to do with him.

If he had said, "I am sorry about what happened, as incidents like these are never good for the game of baseball. I don't agree with what Carlos did, but I understand why he did it. I played with him. He's my friend, and he has my support as a friend. The rest is my business," I wouldn't have an issue with this, but instead, he chose to provide his opinion without even pausing to consider whether doing so was warranted. Yes, someone put a microphone in front of him, but that doesn't mean it was appropriate for him to speak into it.

The media exist to write stories and sell a product, but anyone who believes that those people approach their jobs with anything resembling integrity is fooling themselves. How many sports reporters and writers have been permanently banished to the ****house because WSI staff members have decided that their material isn't worth paying attention to? What does that say about how much credibility the staff of this message board attaches to their work? Yet, it's okay for Paul Konerko to keep feeding the trolls because one of them decided to come out from under his bridge and pay Konerko a visit?

Konerko's been in hot water before- on this very site, no less- because he couldn't stop himself from running his mouth to the media. He answered questions on those topics honestly, too. That doesn't mean he was right in what he said, because most people agreed that he shouldn't have said anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
I don't even think you understand the definition of a "whore," anyway. What is Konerko's long term pay off here?
His pay-off is attention. The more he opens his mouth, the more likely it is that the media comes back to him for comments on other issues. The media are happy to talk to Konerko because he gives them material to write about, and as long as that doesn't change, they'll continue to use his a resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
Is he angling to land some kind of huge TV show deal when his playing days are over? Or is he just a guy who answers questions honestly when asked of him? What a douchebag!!!
I don't know if Konerko wants to be on TV after he's finished playing, but given that seemingly anyone who played Major League Baseball is allowed to work in television in some capacity when his career is over, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were offered a job. If complete idiots like Ed Farmer and Darren Jackson- who spends the majority of Sox radio broadcasts singing- can get a job, I'm sure there will be something available for Konerko. I'm also sure we won't have to wait long for him to throw one of his former teammates under the bus because he doesn't have enough self-control to keep his mouth shut.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Oh sweet jeebus, give it a rest. I wish more athletes gave a straight answer when asked a question.
Read my most recent post about this, which is a few places below yours.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Quentin - suspended 8 games, fined $3000. Pending an appeal by the players association.
Hairston jr - suspended 1 game, fine amount unknown. Appeal pending.
AP story has more on Hairston.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/grein...e-brawl-padres

Greinke and Kemp - No discipline announced.
MLB is believed to be investigating Kemp's confrontation with Quentin as the players were leaving Petco Park after the game
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/91...cording-report
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Quentin - suspended 8 games, fined $3000. Pending an appeal by the players association.
Hairston jr - suspended 1 game, fine amount unknown. Appeal pending.
AP story has more on Hairston.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/grein...e-brawl-padres

Greinke and Kemp - No discipline announced.
MLB is believed to be investigating Kemp's confrontation with Quentin as the players were leaving Petco Park after the game
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/91...cording-report
I wondered if they were going to look into this, as the police were called to separate Kemp from Quentin. I would be surprised if he weren't suspended.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Let me be absolutely clear. I don't have a problem with Konerko answering a question truthfully. My problem stems for his discussing it at all

So you want him answering questions truthfully, while also not wanting him to answer questions at all? Got it.

There are hundreds of players in MLB that crave attention more than PK. Did he blow you off for an autograph once or something? I don't understand the venom you direct towards him.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I wondered if they were going to look into this, as the police were called to separate Kemp from Quentin. I would be surprised if he weren't suspended.
To be fair, I don't think police were called, Police generally are on site for player protection, and they just intervened.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post

So you want him answering questions truthfully, while also not wanting him to answer questions at all? Got it.
What I want from Konerko is for him to be able to recognize when it is appropriate for him to talk to the media about a particular subject. If it is appropriate, then he should answer any and all questions honestly. If it isn't, then he shouldn't talk to them at all. And just so everyone understands, I'd rather Frank Thomas had done the same during his playing career, as it would saved him a great deal of time and trouble, but as it stands, it's too late for him to go back and fix anything now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
There are hundreds of players in MLB that crave attention more than PK. Did he blow you off for an autograph once or something? I don't understand the venom you direct towards him.
I'll be completely honest in my answer, as you've asked a thoughtful question. I have a tendency to hold a grudge, something that doublem23 actually pointed out a few weeks ago (albeit in a joking manner). I respect Konerko's accomplishments as a baseball player, but I've never forgiven him for a string of incidents during the last decade in which he repeatedly disparaged teammates through comments he made during interviews, beginning with his clubhouse speech about Frank Thomas in 2002, and ending with his pronouncement that Magglio Ordonez was "the best player [he'd] ever played with" in 2005.

Those incidents painted the picture of an individual who has absolutely no insight into how his words may affect other people. I can understand that Konerko wanted to give the media honest answers about his teammates, but I maintain that he should have given more thought to whether it was appropriate for him to say anything to the media, period, before taking the time to speak with reporters.

He should not have thrown Frank Thomas under the bus, and although I don't necessarily have a problem with his taking the time to praise Magglio Ordonez for his accomplishments as a member of the White Sox, I think he could have done so in a way that didn't slight either Frank or Mark Buehrle, as he implied, albeit indirectly, that they were inferior to Magglio. Since he obviously wasn't able to think of a better way to discuss his feelings about Magglio as a baseball player, he should have refrained from saying anything.

I realize that my stance on this issue may offend others. I don't mean it as a personal attack on anyone on this message board, but I also don't apologize for my feelings about what Konerko said. I took the time to type this response because I believed that responding to your questions was the appropriate thing to do, and also because I thought your post was thoughtful and warranted an honest explanation.