White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the Worst Big Name or Free Agent Signing in White Sox History?
Adam Dunn- .184/.311/.695 over 2+ seasons 58 32.77%
Steve Sax- .236/.289/.603, ended up in LF 4 2.26%
Cory Snyder- .188/.228/.527- completely lost w/WSox 5 2.82%
Jaime Navarro- 25-43, 6.06 ERA, 1.69 WHIP 100 56.50%
Ron Bloomberg- .231-5-22, 3 years, $600K guaranteed 4 2.26%
Other? 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
For some reason or another Dunn has had more success in the National League. His lifetime average was 2:50 before he came over to the American League. I thought that after hitting 40 home runs last year for the White Sox they would be able to move him in the off season. That didn't happen and it seems like we're stuck with him through the 2014 season. Other than the fact that he hits home runs every now and then, I can honestly say he's the worse all around everyday player the White Sox have ever had in my lifetime.
Give it a few years. The organization is stubborn and Viciedo is a way worse player in all respects.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
For some reason or another Dunn has had more success in the National League. His lifetime average was 2:50 before he came over to the American League. I thought that after hitting 40 home runs last year for the White Sox they would be able to move him in the off season. That didn't happen and it seems like we're stuck with him through the 2014 season. Other than the fact that he hits home runs every now and then, I can honestly say he's the worse all around everyday player the White Sox have ever had in my lifetime.
Where he was in the field every day. Life might seem easy being a DH, but it's tough on the guy who basically is a spectator except for 4-5 chances a game.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

2013 Attendance Record: 0-1

JACK....BACK IN 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Slight hijack, but related: If the Sox decline to re-sign Paulie, does Dunn become the primary 1B (in perhaps more of a DH rotation among several position players), and thus would it be reasonable to expect his hitting to improve?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Slight hijack, but related: If the Sox decline to re-sign Paulie, does Dunn become the primary 1B (in perhaps more of a DH rotation among several position players), and thus would it be reasonable to expect his hitting to improve?
Well he hit a robust .212 when he played 1B last year so I don't think you will see much of a change in his production whether he plays the field or not. He is also going to be 34 and on the downside of his career (assuming he's not there already).

I voted for Navarro but I will say this, Navarro only hurt you every fifth day. Dunn, Sax and Snyder - they hurt you every day.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I don't think so. He's not Frank Thomas, who clearly played better when he was the first baseman as opposed to the DH. Dunn has never been a good hitter. He provides power and gets on base via walks, but his ability to make contact is limited, even in the best of times.

Getting back to the main topic of this thread, I don't think Dunn is the worst free-agent signing in Sox history. I'd give that dubious honor to Jamie Navarro, who not only sucked for three seasons, but also threw his teammates under the bus, saying, "I can't hit for these guys," following a start in which he surrendered nine runs. I'd actually given him the benefit of the doubt prior to opening his mouth, but after he said that, I wanted him off the team, and had WSI been around back then, I'd have started fifty different threads calling for his immediate release.

Adam Dunn doesn't appear to have much left, but he's not a bad teammate. Jamie Navarro was ass who also happened to be terrible at his job. Not a good combination to have.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

If you combine his two years of production vs the money spent, it may be the worst.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

Something to consider...

Didn't the Sox eventually (magically) turn Navarro into Cal Eldred and Jose Valentin? In a way, that kind of paid off very well. Valentin was a good player for us for a while.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Something to consider...

Didn't the Sox eventually (magically) turn Navarro into Cal Eldred and Jose Valentin? In a way, that kind of paid off very well. Valentin was a good player for us for a while.
Yes, but that doesn't make his signing any worse. If he had performed as expected, he'd never have been traded.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Yes, but that doesn't make his signing any worse. If he had performed as expected, he'd never have been traded.
But...that mustache!

Come on RK. No one can resist Manos.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm supposed to believe a guy that led the league in walks and hit 40 homers last year is our worst FA ever?

Never change, Sox fans. Never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
But...that mustache!

Come on RK. No one can resist Manos.
Valentin looks like he should have played in the 1980s with that thing.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 PM
WSI Guru

Steve Sax and Cory Snyder were acquired through trades, so they should not be included on the list.

2013 Attendance Record: 7-9, .438
Old 04-13-2013, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
As much as I love Paulie, the situation we would be in without him would actually be acceptable and give us room for flexibility.

Looking as Dunn, Viciedo and Konerko fill in the positions LF, 1B and DH, letting Paulie go may actually make sense. With Dunn being able to play 1B and LF (I know he's a bad LF) and Viciedo being able to play LF and maybe 1B, we could bring in a cheaper replacement to Paulie and we would not be limited to bringing in only a first baseman. We would be able to bring in a 1B or a leftfielder or DH type. With options, Hahn could bring in a player that fits what he is trying to do and letting PK go opens up several possibilities as opposed to just one option.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Navarro was 4yr/ 20 million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
This equates to about 4yr/80 million in today's dollars.
How did you come up with that calculation?

$20 million in 1997, with inflation, would be around $30 million in 2013.

$56 million in 2013 would have been worth about $38 million in 1997.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

NO.
I agree. Dunn has been bad but has contributed something. I wil never forget Navarro complaining about run support after a game in which he allowed 9 runs.

The one thing that was good about Navarro was the Sox got Valentin and Eldred for him.