Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Does seem to be an all-too common trend among Sox fans. As soon as someone is doing really well, a significant faction of our fanbase is trying to see what prospects we can get if we trade them away...
If Rios is having a great year and we are clearly going nowhere, I would trade him for whatever the Sox can get. Guys like Rios and Peavy are nice players who can contribute but they are not the kind of guys you can build around for the next three to four years.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Good thing for me I'm starting to get dis-interested on this team very quickly. Don't need another tease. Suck, then suck early.
Totally agree. As much as I love baseball, I haven't been really sold on a Sox season since early 2009. Of course, I learned my lesson quickly there.

It sucks to not enjoy baseball. I just can't get excited about this .500 at best on paper team.

But hey, anything can happen. That really should be the annual Sox slogan. That's how they run things.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
Does seem to be an all-too common trend among Sox fans. As soon as someone is doing really well, a significant faction of our fanbase is trying to see what prospects we can get if we trade them away...
Which is the best idea. So good for them. Wish the Sox realized it.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's View Post
His act was tolerable when he was producing and we were winning, but when things go south, he becomes a liability. I don't recall any other Sox players shedding tears when he left.
Except that we won the division the year that he was here. TCQ won that division for us, but things weren't south that year.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Zakath:

Great! Rios will bring more at the trade deadline if he's playing good! LOL.

Sorry...had to do it.

Lip
Not if the Sox execute trades like they have for the last 5 years. Santos, TCQ, and Jackson were all given away.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:49 AM
WSI High Priest

A whole bunch of us thought that this team would go as far as the pitching would take them, because they weren't going to score a lot of runs. So far, bang on 2 for 2.

It sure sucks that Quintana's gem goes for naught.

And I don't mind the celebration as in excess, but - Anyone but Swisher. And also while not excessive, that "airplane" move into first base was galling.

Let's get a road game - SOON!

SMO
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Really hope this team is still somewhat in it in June, I will be visiting Chicago and be going to a game. Would really suck if we were struggling and out of it.

Sox attendence record
5-3 (from St. Louis)

Next game: TBD
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 AM
WSI Guru

I really, really hate that Ventura asked Ramirez to bunt. Others have noted that Ramirez is a poor at bunting, which is without question accurate.

But, even if he had gotten the bunt down, it was a poor choice. It would be one thing if Konerko or Rios was on deck. But why in the world are you trying to set up an RBI chance for Gimenez?

Man at second, nobody out. Ramirez, Gimenez and De Aza are the next three hitters. Who is the best RBI man out of those three? I would contend it is Ramirez. So why take the bat out of his hands?

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

This team better find an identity in the next 10 days otherwise theres gonna be a lot of unsold 7$ tickets for the rest of the year.

The bunt call in the 8th is unforgivable. This team can't hit w/ RISP so you decide to give them 2 chances instead of 3? After 172 games I'm sticking to my guns that hiring RV was a gimmick to give jaded fans a reason to pay attention to a middling team.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 AM
WSI High Priest

I have never ever understood the reasoning behind bunting with a man on second and no one out.

After 10 games its the same old story, in th A.L. we are 14th in runs scored, last in OBP, 10th in Batting Average, 12th in OPS but 4th in HRs which means we probably lead the league in bases empty HRs.
4th in ERA which works but if the hitting continues with these kind of numbers its going to be a long season.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
If Rios is having a great year and we are clearly going nowhere, I would trade him for whatever the Sox can get. Guys like Rios and Peavy are nice players who can contribute but they are not the kind of guys you can build around for the next three to four years.
Have been saying this for years now. The white sox refuse to go into rebuild and instead choose mediocrity to sub par baseball. In my opinion, this is a slow and painful death that the sox have chosen, since we will have to get young either way. Truth told, I have no idea what young talent I would keep with this club. Wrong philosophy for a while.

The fact is that nothing has changed with this club. We will vontinue to get quality pitching that will be wasted by this horrific offense. It has been this way since 2005 and it will be this way until we change something. People used to clamor about the hitting coach-I don't think that was a ever an issue but rather a circumstance. Instead, this a case of the same olds from the sox.

At this point, I am not surprised by what we see on the field, and neither are the majority of fans. Besides watching out pitchers play, how do you get excited by an aging mediocre ball club? You don't.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Have been saying this for years now. The white sox refuse to go into rebuild and instead choose mediocrity to sub par baseball. In my opinion, this is a slow and painful death that the sox have chosen, since we will have to get young either way. Truth told, I have no idea what young talent I would keep with this club. Wrong philosophy for a while.

The fact is that nothing has changed with this club. We will vontinue to get quality pitching that will be wasted by this horrific offense. It has been this way since 2005 and it will be this way until we change something. People used to clamor about the hitting coach-I don't think that was a ever an issue but rather a circumstance. Instead, this a case of the same olds from the sox.

At this point, I am not surprised by what we see on the field, and neither are the majority of fans. Besides watching out pitchers play, how do you get excited by an aging mediocre ball club? You don't.
Sox scored the 4th most runs in the AL last season, even more than the Tigers. If a 4-6 record over 10 games is reason to pack it in, there are a lot of teams apparently playing for next year.

The Sox don't have guys they can get top prospects for, except for Sale. Sale is the one guy if they decided to go into full rebuild mode that they should move. He would get them several top prospects. It would make no sense having him pitch for a team destined to be bad, and by the time the Sox were ready to contend again, he would either be hurt or on the verge of making $30 million a year.

Last edited by dickallen15; 04-13-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I really, really hate that Ventura asked Ramirez to bunt. Others have noted that Ramirez is a poor at bunting, which is without question accurate.

But, even if he had gotten the bunt down, it was a poor choice. It would be one thing if Konerko or Rios was on deck. But why in the world are you trying to set up an RBI chance for Gimenez?

Man at second, nobody out. Ramirez, Gimenez and De Aza are the next three hitters. Who is the best RBI man out of those three? I would contend it is Ramirez. So why take the bat out of his hands?
The idea was to move the runner to 3rd with one out so that a run could be scored on an out. It should be much easier to score a run with a bunt and fly ball or grounder up the middle than to rely on someone getting a solid hit. Should be, but apparently this team makes it seem much more difficult. Most Little Leaguers can execute a bunt better than Alexei.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
There isn't much you can do. I seem to recall reading where Ozzie spent awhile trying to get him to learn how to bunt back in 2009 or so, at the end of the day if a guy doesn't want to bunt he is not going to bunt. I suppose you COULD bench him but it's not like we are talking about a 20 year old rookie here. Alexei is a veteran and knows his role on the team and I suspect he also knows that there is no one else on the roster who can play short.
I know what you're saying, but at the same time there is no excuse for not at least trying to bunt correctly. It's a pretty simple concept. If Ramirez's way of bunting is his way of saying *$%@ you to the manager, then he needs his attitude changed or he needs to be traded. It's losing baseball and should not be tolerated.

There are reasons why teams like the Giants and Cardinals win the World Series and why we fail to make the playoffs.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Not if the Sox execute trades like they have for the last 5 years. Santos, TCQ, and Jackson were all given away.
None of those guys are all that good though. Besides TCQs MVP-like 4 months that history is showing was an outlier, what have any of them really done on a consistent basis?