White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Just so we're all clear here, telling a victim of violence it's their fault because they should/could/maybe it was an option to run away? Not exactly PC...
This is drivel...

It has NOTHING to do with what happened. It's so completely off base as to be meaningless...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Yep...he chose confrontation over avoidance. And it cost him.
Again, Quentin was already walking towards the mound. The situation had already escalated and from every video I have seen Greinke's initial response seemed to be a raise of his head and say something, not shout it. Quentin then started running towards the mound, by that point there was nothing anyone could do to stop the fight. Greinke did throw his glove aside.

There is a sort of macho element that was at play here obviously. I get the sort of psychological need for a pitcher to feel bulletproof and that he owns the plate or the mound or whatever. When a batter is charging the pitcher, he can't just run away. He shouldn't throw his glove aside and get ready to throw down though either, really all he can do is hope that the catcher can get in between him and the batter.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
This is drivel...

It has NOTHING to do with what happened. It's so completely off base as to be meaningless...
I don't think it's meaningless, but I do agree that it's far enough off base that it doesn't have anything to do with the matter at hand.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
This is drivel...

Yes, but it fits munch's view that Greinke was this hapless victim that didn't see it coming.

If Greinke had been despondent, turned his back, and Quentin attacked...then yes. Victim. That's not at all what happened.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Watch the video again. He clearly says something. I'm not as skilled at reading lips as VC, but it does look like he's saying, "What?" There's no question he spoke.
I think the question is how did he say it. He clearly says two things. The first is when Quentin is walking towards him and he did not appear to be shouting in that video. When Quentin starts running at him, Greinke throws his glove aside and says something else.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Again, Quentin was already walking towards the mound. The situation had already escalated and from every video I have seen Greinke's initial response seemed to be a raise of his head and say something, not shout it. Quentin then started running towards the mound, by that point there was nothing anyone could do to stop the fight. Greinke did throw his glove aside.
He could've either started backpedalling or running the other way. He threw his glove aside, and lowered his shoulder. He wasn't a hapless victim. He welcomed the confrontation. He didn't back down. He's not a victim.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
There was time for him to back away, albeit not more than a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187
There is a sort of macho element that was at play here obviously. I get the sort of psychological need for a pitcher to feel bulletproof and that he owns the plate or the mound or whatever. When a batter is charging the pitcher, he can't just run away. He shouldn't throw his glove aside and get ready to throw down though either, really all he can do is hope that the catcher can get in between him and the batter.
I understand the point you're making here, and I actually don't disagree with it. What I have a problem with is that Greinke exposed his shoulder to TCQ while the latter was charging the mound. If he had assumed a proper defensive stance, it's likely his collarbone remains in one piece. He didn't do that.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the question is how did he say it. He clearly says two things. The first is when Quentin is walking towards him and he did not appear to be shouting in that video. When Quentin starts running at him, Greinke throws his glove aside and says something else.
Well, TCQ says he didn't hear what was said, so the "how" of the situation doesn't matter. What does matter is that Greinke clearly says a word to Carlos before Quentin attacks him. It's possible that was enough to provoke Carlos, especially if he was already spoiling for a fight. I can believe he thought about fighting Greike. I don't for one moment believe munch's claims that he set up the entire thing.

I also don't entirely believe Quentin's version of events (I've spent the entire day tearing him apart on this board for his stupidity, and Paul Konerko, as well, for defending him), but Greinke isn't blameless. He was there. He could have handled things differently, but he chose to open his mouth, and he chose to leave himself vulnerable to injury.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
He could've either started backpedalling or running the other way. He threw his glove aside, and lowered his shoulder. He wasn't a hapless victim. He welcomed the confrontation. He didn't back down. He's not a victim.
By the time Greinke threw his glove to the side, Quentin was charging at him full steam. So no, he is not a "victim" per se but he is not the instigator either.

Quote:
There was time for him to back away, albeit not more than a few seconds.

I understand the point you're making here, and I actually don't disagree with it. What I have a problem with is that Greinke exposed his shoulder to TCQ while the latter was charging the mound. If he had assumed a proper defensive stance, it's likely his collarbone remains in one piece. He didn't do that.
Yea, I agree with your point that lowering his shoulder was stupid. I am not sure that he knew what the proper defensive stance was though and instinct probably took over. Unless a pitcher has a background in karate or wrestling (like Kyle Farnsworth), they are kind of defenseless at that point. I remember seeing Pedro backpedal and throw his glove at the guy who was charging him when he was with the Expos. I think that was after Pedro just lost a perfect game by hitting a guy too.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quentin's going to find out he doesn't have many friends left in baseball after this. Bud Black was straining to talk about it while having to stick up for his guy. Carlos is a marked man now and the pitching fraternity will be after him.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
By the time Greinke threw his glove to the side, Quentin was charging at him full steam. So no, he is not a "victim" per se but he is not the instigator either.
I never said he was the instigator. Quentin was clearly that by charging the mound. But as he was, Greinke could've backpedaled or turned and ran. He could've done either in the time it took him to drop his glove and lower his shoulder. But we agree that he wasn't a victim here.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Well, TCQ says he didn't hear what was said, so the "how" of the situation doesn't matter. What does matter is that Greinke clearly says a word to Carlos before Quentin attacks him. It's possible that was enough to provoke Carlos, especially if he was already spoiling for a fight. I can believe he thought about fighting Greike. I don't for one moment believe munch's claims that he set up the entire thing.

I also don't entirely believe Quentin's version of events (I've spent the entire day tearing him apart on this board for his stupidity, and Paul Konerko, as well, for defending him), but Greinke isn't blameless. He was there. He could have handled things differently, but he chose to open his mouth, and he chose to leave himself vulnerable to injury.
This is really getting into minutia here, but I think the fact that Quentin took his first step towards the mound shows he was ready for a fight. Greinke did say something but based solely on his body language I don't think it was INTENDED to be confrontational. I also doubt that it was intended to be apologetic either.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yea, I agree with your point that lowering his shoulder was stupid. I am not sure that he knew what the proper defensive stance was though and instinct probably took over. Unless a pitcher has a background in karate or wrestling (like Kyle Farnsworth), they are kind of defenseless at that point. I remember seeing Pedro backpedal and throw his glove at the guy who was charging him when he was with the Expos. I think that was after Pedro just lost a perfect game by hitting a guy too.
The instinctive response is to raise one's hands in front of the face and upper-body. I just had my girlfriend run toward me with her fists up to test the idea. Before I even realized what I'd done, my hands were in front of my face, and I'd gone to something resembling a basketball defensive crouch, with my feet aligned with my shoulders. Granted, I'm not a pitcher and have no throwing arm to protect, but what Greinke did makes absolutely no sense.
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
Quentin's going to find out he doesn't have many friends left in baseball after this. Bud Black was straining to talk about it while having to stick up for his guy. Carlos is a marked man now and the pitching fraternity will be after him.
Oh if he thought they were throwing at him before wait until he faces the Dodgers again. It's probably worth pointing out that in the first inning Marquis threw a 1-2 pitch up around the head of Matt Kemp, so I think the Dodgers are going to REALLY have it out for Quentin.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong View Post

"I'm still his friend."

"Don't remind us."