White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #196  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
By backpeddling and waving my hands frantically in front of me saying, "Wait wait wait, sorry, it was an accident, sorry, wait wait wait..." while looking completely freaked out.

I think my shoulder would be just fine.
That's right. Just do whatever bullies say. That's how you don't get assaulted!
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
No...I said he could've run away and avoided the whole confrontation.
My mistake. I posted this before I saw your post. I do agree that he could have avoided the fight by trying to run.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
That's right. Just do whatever bullies say. That's how you don't get assaulted!
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,774
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well there ya go... Greinke deserves what he got then.

He could have turned and walked away the second Quentin got hit. He could have not glared at the guy he had just smacked with a baseball. He could have done ANY NUMBER of things other than what he did and he might be pitching on Tuesday. He chose to go the other way...
Yep...he chose confrontation over avoidance. And it cost him.
__________________


A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 14,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
There's an article in this thread where a professional athlete did just run away.
I have seen YouTube videos of that happening once, so obviously that is the exception. Nolan Ryan did something similar to that back in the 1970s and never really lived it down and publicly vowed that the next time a hitter charged the mound he would fight back, that hitter was Robin Ventura. Other pitchers have taken karate lessons in case they were charged, so I do think there is a sort of macho element involved in at the very least standing your ground.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
My mistake. I posted this before I saw your post. I do agree that he could have avoided the fight by trying to run.
Just so we're all clear here, telling a victim of violence it's their fault because they should/could/maybe it was an option to run away? Not exactly PC...
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 PM
central44 central44 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It's like you didn't even watch the video.

There was no 95 mph fastball up and in to instigate this. There was a fastball mid height barely six inches inside that Quentin leaned into.
Yeah because that little made up number is totally the key idea to what I was trying to say Stand in a major league batters box and have a pitcher throw inside at you. Pretty sure it's going to leave you shaken up and pissed off regardless of how fast it might be, and i'm guessing that being taunted immediatly after the fact doesn't help matters.

Nobody is saying what Quentin did was right. But making Grienke out to be some helpless, innocent victim is completely ridiculous. He could have acted contrite. He didn't have to start jawing at him right away.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,774
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
That's right. Just do whatever bullies say. That's how you don't get assaulted!
So then you agree he should've stood up to Quentin and traded violence for violence. You can't have it both ways. You can't call Quentin a thug for what happened when it could've easily been avoided.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Just so we're all clear here, telling a victim of violence it's their fault because they should/could/maybe it was an option to run away? Not exactly PC...
It may not be PC, but if it's the truth, it needs to be said, albeit in a thoughtful and tactful way. Lying and sugarcoating doesn't educate people about how make better choices. It merely encourages people to make the same mistakes all over again.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,838
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
That's right. Just do whatever bullies say. That's how you don't get assaulted!

LOL!

OMG Munch!

Dude, see lets go back to your point...

This

Was...

On...

A...

Baseball

Field...

Zach had 35 other guys willing to go to the wall to back him up. He had umpires willing to step in and throw people out. He had the full weight of MLB behind him if he simply doesn't open his big... fat... mouth...

He chose to go the other way...

Bad idea, Zach.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
spawn's Avatar
spawn spawn is offline
Everybody's All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: My Mother's Basement, Plainfield,Il.
Posts: 11,774
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Just so we're all clear here, telling a victim of violence it's their fault because they should/could/maybe it was an option to run away? Not exactly PC...
You still haven't answered my question. Could the incident have been avoided had Greinke decided to run away?
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
Yeah because that little made up number is totally the key idea to what I was trying to say Stand in a major league batters box and have a pitcher throw inside at you. Pretty sure it's going to leave you shaken up and pissed off regardless of how fast it might be, and i'm guessing that being taunted immediatly after the fact doesn't help matters.

Nobody is saying what Quentin did was right. But making Grienke out to be some helpless, innocent victim is completely ridiculous. He could have acted contrite. He didn't have to start jawing at him right away.
Once again, facts are wrong. Quentin made the first move by walking at Greinke. Then Quentin talked first. Then, MAYBE, Greinke said "what?". Though some say he said nothing at all.

Not exactly the scenario you're describing.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,838
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
Yeah because that little made up number is totally the key idea to what I was trying to say Stand in a major league batters box and have a pitcher throw inside at you. Pretty sure it's going to leave you shaken up and pissed off regardless of how fast it might be, and i'm guessing that being taunted immediatly after the fact doesn't help matters.

Nobody is saying what Quentin did was right. But making Grienke out to be some helpless, innocent victim is completely ridiculous. He could have acted contrite. He didn't have to start jawing at him right away.

DING DING DING!

Winner winner chicken dinner...
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is online now
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,838
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Once again, facts are wrong. Quentin made the first move by walking at Greinke. Then Quentin talked first. Then, MAYBE, Greinke said "what?". Though some say he said nothing at all.

Not exactly the scenario you're describing.
I don't see Quentin say anything from the centerfield camera angle and once again, I read lips pretty damned well. Yeah, he's staring at him, but he's not talking.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Once again, facts are wrong. Quentin made the first move by walking at Greinke. Then Quentin talked first. Then, MAYBE, Greinke said "what?". Though some say he said nothing at all.

Not exactly the scenario you're describing.
Watch the video again. He clearly says something. I'm not as skilled at reading lips as VC, but it does look like he's saying, "What?" There's no question he spoke.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.