White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
By backpeddling and waving my hands frantically in front of me saying, "Wait wait wait, sorry, it was an accident, sorry, wait wait wait..." while looking completely freaked out.

I think my shoulder would be just fine.
That's right. Just do whatever bullies say. That's how you don't get assaulted!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
No...I said he could've run away and avoided the whole confrontation.
My mistake. I posted this before I saw your post. I do agree that he could have avoided the fight by trying to run.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well there ya go... Greinke deserves what he got then.

He could have turned and walked away the second Quentin got hit. He could have not glared at the guy he had just smacked with a baseball. He could have done ANY NUMBER of things other than what he did and he might be pitching on Tuesday. He chose to go the other way...
Yep...he chose confrontation over avoidance. And it cost him.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
There's an article in this thread where a professional athlete did just run away.
I have seen YouTube videos of that happening once, so obviously that is the exception. Nolan Ryan did something similar to that back in the 1970s and never really lived it down and publicly vowed that the next time a hitter charged the mound he would fight back, that hitter was Robin Ventura. Other pitchers have taken karate lessons in case they were charged, so I do think there is a sort of macho element involved in at the very least standing your ground.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
My mistake. I posted this before I saw your post. I do agree that he could have avoided the fight by trying to run.
Just so we're all clear here, telling a victim of violence it's their fault because they should/could/maybe it was an option to run away? Not exactly PC...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
It's like you didn't even watch the video.

There was no 95 mph fastball up and in to instigate this. There was a fastball mid height barely six inches inside that Quentin leaned into.
Yeah because that little made up number is totally the key idea to what I was trying to say Stand in a major league batters box and have a pitcher throw inside at you. Pretty sure it's going to leave you shaken up and pissed off regardless of how fast it might be, and i'm guessing that being taunted immediatly after the fact doesn't help matters.

Nobody is saying what Quentin did was right. But making Grienke out to be some helpless, innocent victim is completely ridiculous. He could have acted contrite. He didn't have to start jawing at him right away.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
So then you agree he should've stood up to Quentin and traded violence for violence. You can't have it both ways. You can't call Quentin a thug for what happened when it could've easily been avoided.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just so we're all clear here, telling a victim of violence it's their fault because they should/could/maybe it was an option to run away? Not exactly PC...
It may not be PC, but if it's the truth, it needs to be said, albeit in a thoughtful and tactful way. Lying and sugarcoating doesn't educate people about how make better choices. It merely encourages people to make the same mistakes all over again.
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

LOL!

OMG Munch!

Dude, see lets go back to your point...

This

Was...

On...

A...

Baseball

Field...

Zach had 35 other guys willing to go to the wall to back him up. He had umpires willing to step in and throw people out. He had the full weight of MLB behind him if he simply doesn't open his big... fat... mouth...

He chose to go the other way...

Bad idea, Zach.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
You still haven't answered my question. Could the incident have been avoided had Greinke decided to run away?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post
Yeah because that little made up number is totally the key idea to what I was trying to say Stand in a major league batters box and have a pitcher throw inside at you. Pretty sure it's going to leave you shaken up and pissed off regardless of how fast it might be, and i'm guessing that being taunted immediatly after the fact doesn't help matters.

Nobody is saying what Quentin did was right. But making Grienke out to be some helpless, innocent victim is completely ridiculous. He could have acted contrite. He didn't have to start jawing at him right away.
Once again, facts are wrong. Quentin made the first move by walking at Greinke. Then Quentin talked first. Then, MAYBE, Greinke said "what?". Though some say he said nothing at all.

Not exactly the scenario you're describing.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by central44 View Post

DING DING DING!

Winner winner chicken dinner...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Once again, facts are wrong. Quentin made the first move by walking at Greinke. Then Quentin talked first. Then, MAYBE, Greinke said "what?". Though some say he said nothing at all.

I don't see Quentin say anything from the centerfield camera angle and once again, I read lips pretty damned well. Yeah, he's staring at him, but he's not talking.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

Watch the video again. He clearly says something. I'm not as skilled at reading lips as VC, but it does look like he's saying, "What?" There's no question he spoke.